Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since i hate most "web applications" with a passion and also wanted a bug/issue tracker to keep track of bugs/issues, i wrote Runtime Bugs, a desktop-based bug tracker:

shot.png

You can grab it from here.

There isn't really anything special about it, beyond that instead of being a web based application that requires a bunch of enterprise-grade servers running in your (or someone else's) computer just to keep track a list of bugs, it is a single .EXE file (or other OS binary, if you bother to compile it) that stores the bugs in a mostly readable text-based file that you can drop alongside your game (or whatever) assets/sources (or on your desktop, for the more organized among us :-P) and perhaps even use some version control with it.

Also it is fast and uses very few resources - even with thousands of nested bugs (synthetic test) it only uses around 40MB of RAM and with a more realistic single-project set of bugs (a few hundred) you most likely wont see it using more than around 15MB.

Though that wasn't really a goal or anything, it is just a byproduct of not using sucky tech :-P. Personally i only spent very minimal effort there. If anything i am annoyed by the InnoSetup that needs double the size of the compressed standalone executable... i should write an installer too at some point :-P.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
...instead of being a web based application that requires a bunch of enterprise-grade servers running in your (or someone else's) computer just to keep track a list of bugs...
I have a GitLab server that I just run on my web server. You're supposed to keep your repository offsite anyway. And GitLab comes with a perfectly fine bug tracker. No extra effort. I would really have to hate web interfaces to go to the extra effort of writing my own offline bug tracker.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That i do :). I use Fossil for version control that also integrates (web-based) bug tracker, wiki, technotes/blog and a forum in a single (and very fast) ~5MB executable, so i already have a package for it. But even though Fossil's tracker is simpler than most, i practically never use it (or most of the other non-VCS stuff it has). It is neat for when i want to share a repository with others though since all it takes is to throw the fossil file (Fossil stores everything in a single SQLite file per repository) on a web server and configure the server to treat the fossil executable as a CGI handler (something that even shared hosting providers support).

FWIW the only other bug tracker i used and mostly liked was TestTrack - mainly because it had a desktop client (written in Qt).

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Any French bros out there? I need a small (120 words) text translated to french asap. PM if you're in!

EDIT: NVM got it

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
While i was waiting for some updates from GOG to download, i started messing around in Visual Basic 4 and took a video of it while making a small game of the sort that lukaszek likes:

You can also download it from here: http://runtimeterror.com/games/fighter/ (though it most likely isn't worth your time, i only made the site to waste mine :-P and because sometimes people ask in comments for download links for the stuff i upload)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Been doing some small work today (coupled with lots of testing) and it came that I needed to create some cosmo commandos name for the random generation & assignment process. Eventually (and hopefully) we'll have 4 assemblies in our game but in the early access there shall be only one - Atomic Dukes. Imagine a whole chapter of Duke Nukem/bootleg space marine hybrids. And they all really love ass. Female ass, that is. That's what that order is. They're led by the glorious Duke Fukem and the rest of the order is named in a similar fashion. So I've been inventing some names today that will follow the narrative. Such as Duke Cuckem, Duke Croakem, Duke Schmuckem, Duke Hadoukem, Duke Critiquem, etc. Was fun.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
There were some news yesterday about a "Haunted PS1 Demo Disc" with a bunch of games / game demos that use a PS1-style rendering.

They all seem to use Unity with a shader that makes rendering wobbly and such. This made me think that actually writing a software renderer with all the PS1 limitations (no depth buffer, no perspective correct texture mapping, no texture filtering, no subpixel precision, etc) would be a neat way to spend my day. So...

...for extra bonus (and also because i really wrote that stuff like this back when i didn't had a 3D accelerator :-P) this is a 8bit renderer. It uses the so-called "web safe" color palette (essentially a 6x6x6 RGB color cube) with 40 additional levels of gray. I used that mainly because PSP7 can easily convert images to that. Also i was thinking about adding colored lighting (it'd look *great* with only 6 levels of each primary color :-P) and being able to map from RGB to an 8bit index would be very useful, but eventually got bored and all i implemented was vertex-based fog though a 16-step fog table.

EDIT: here it is on a real CRT on my Win98 Pentium 3:

eAmD3ui.jpg

If nothing else, it has slightly less requirements than a Unity-based demo :-P.

EDIT: I commented and uploaded the code and executable here (plus a couple of minor modifications).

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A screenshot from the game I'm working on:

Unfortunately, because I don't want to get JarlFranked, I'll never be able to discuss my game (at least not as a developer) on this web site even after it's done and published. :negative:

XybOwyc.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Unfortunately, because I don't want to get JarlFranked, I'll never be able to discuss my game (at least not as a developer) on this web site even after it's done and published. :negative:

XybOwyc.png

Who's JarlFrank and what heinous acts of sacrilege did he commit?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

XybOwyc.png

Who's JarlFrank and what heinous acts of sacrilege did he commit?

JarlFrank you got a link to the drama thread?

Viata

Arcane
because I don't want to get JarlFranked, I'll never be able to discuss my game (at least not as a developer) on this web
In my case I'll never associate my real name with any software I create. I'll probably create a new name and credit them as "New 'Viata' Name" so that I can at least associate this account to it, but not to my real name. :positive:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
because I don't want to get JarlFranked, I'll never be able to discuss my game (at least not as a developer) on this web
In my case I'll never associate my real name with any software I create. I'll probably create a new name and credit them as "New 'Viata' Name" so that I can at least associate this account to it, but not to my real name. :positive:

It's not even about my real name (after all I can publish a game without revealing it) but the shitstorm it would cause if my codex persona became associated with the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom