Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by 20 Eyes, Feb 10, 2012.

1. paperjack Literate

paperjack
    I made this game for a game jam in about 36h. I busted my ass off, but I'm happy with the result.
    https://paperjack.itch.io/big-iron

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. supervoid Filthy Kalinite

supervoid
    I Have Disgusting Opinions
    ^ Top  
  3. paperjack Literate

paperjack
    I don't want to use their shitty tool, though.

^ Top  
  4. curry Arcane

curry
    What you're doing is very promising. Now make sure you get the graphics right and stay away from that anime crap.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Gaijins can't do anime graphics, anyway.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Bad Sector Arbiter Patron

Bad Sector
    Since i hate most "web applications" with a passion and also wanted a bug/issue tracker to keep track of bugs/issues, i wrote Runtime Bugs, a desktop-based bug tracker:

[​IMG]

You can grab it from here.

There isn't really anything special about it, beyond that instead of being a web based application that requires a bunch of enterprise-grade servers running in your (or someone else's) computer just to keep track a list of bugs, it is a single .EXE file (or other OS binary, if you bother to compile it) that stores the bugs in a mostly readable text-based file that you can drop alongside your game (or whatever) assets/sources (or on your desktop, for the more organized among us :-P) and perhaps even use some version control with it.

Also it is fast and uses very few resources - even with thousands of nested bugs (synthetic test) it only uses around 40MB of RAM and with a more realistic single-project set of bugs (a few hundred) you most likely wont see it using more than around 15MB.

Though that wasn't really a goal or anything, it is just a byproduct of not using sucky tech :-P. Personally i only spent very minimal effort there. If anything i am annoyed by the InnoSetup that needs double the size of the compressed standalone executable... i should write an installer too at some point :-P.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Pascal. :shredder:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Viata Arcane

Viata
    I downloaded it and I will use it. The less I depend on web applications, the better things will be. I hate web 2.0 and all webdevs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    I have a GitLab server that I just run on my web server. You're supposed to keep your repository offsite anyway. And GitLab comes with a perfectly fine bug tracker. No extra effort. I would really have to hate web interfaces to go to the extra effort of writing my own offline bug tracker.

^ Top  
  10. Bad Sector Arbiter Patron

Bad Sector
    That i do :). I use Fossil for version control that also integrates (web-based) bug tracker, wiki, technotes/blog and a forum in a single (and very fast) ~5MB executable, so i already have a package for it. But even though Fossil's tracker is simpler than most, i practically never use it (or most of the other non-VCS stuff it has). It is neat for when i want to share a repository with others though since all it takes is to throw the fossil file (Fossil stores everything in a single SQLite file per repository) on a web server and configure the server to treat the fossil executable as a CGI handler (something that even shared hosting providers support).

FWIW the only other bug tracker i used and mostly liked was TestTrack - mainly because it had a desktop client (written in Qt).

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. The Avatar Learned

The Avatar
    Taking a break from boring stuff like serialization and asset management, and made the female base meshes for Elf, Human, and Dwarf
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    I rate the above post as: thicc

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Shitposter Developer

Tavernking
  14. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Why do they all have ball sacks?

• Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    Now I'm wondering what you call the thing where slingers keep their stones.

^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Ammo container

^ Top  
  17. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Always just referred to them as a pouch. Not sure they have specific name like a quiver of arrows.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Butt.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ragnor Educated

ragnor
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. vdweller Arcane Developer

vdweller
    Any French bros out there? I need a small (120 words) text translated to french asap. PM if you're in!

EDIT: NVM got it

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Bad Sector Arbiter Patron

Bad Sector
    While i was waiting for some updates from GOG to download, i started messing around in Visual Basic 4 and took a video of it while making a small game of the sort that lukaszek likes:

You can also download it from here: http://runtimeterror.com/games/fighter/ (though it most likely isn't worth your time, i only made the site to waste mine :-P and because sometimes people ask in comments for download links for the stuff i upload)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    Been doing some small work today (coupled with lots of testing) and it came that I needed to create some cosmo commandos name for the random generation & assignment process. Eventually (and hopefully) we'll have 4 assemblies in our game but in the early access there shall be only one - Atomic Dukes. Imagine a whole chapter of Duke Nukem/bootleg space marine hybrids. And they all really love ass. Female ass, that is. That's what that order is. They're led by the glorious Duke Fukem and the rest of the order is named in a similar fashion. So I've been inventing some names today that will follow the narrative. Such as Duke Cuckem, Duke Croakem, Duke Schmuckem, Duke Hadoukem, Duke Critiquem, etc. Was fun.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bad Sector Arbiter Patron

Bad Sector
    There were some news yesterday about a "Haunted PS1 Demo Disc" with a bunch of games / game demos that use a PS1-style rendering.

They all seem to use Unity with a shader that makes rendering wobbly and such. This made me think that actually writing a software renderer with all the PS1 limitations (no depth buffer, no perspective correct texture mapping, no texture filtering, no subpixel precision, etc) would be a neat way to spend my day. So...

...for extra bonus (and also because i really wrote that stuff like this back when i didn't had a 3D accelerator :-P) this is a 8bit renderer. It uses the so-called "web safe" color palette (essentially a 6x6x6 RGB color cube) with 40 additional levels of gray. I used that mainly because PSP7 can easily convert images to that. Also i was thinking about adding colored lighting (it'd look *great* with only 6 levels of each primary color :-P) and being able to map from RGB to an 8bit index would be very useful, but eventually got bored and all i implemented was vertex-based fog though a 16-step fog table.

EDIT: here it is on a real CRT on my Win98 Pentium 3:

[​IMG]

If nothing else, it has slightly less requirements than a Unity-based demo :-P.

EDIT: I commented and uploaded the code and executable here (plus a couple of minor modifications).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    A screenshot from the game I'm working on:

Show Spoiler

Unfortunately, because I don't want to get JarlFranked, I'll never be able to discuss my game (at least not as a developer) on this web site even after it's done and published. :negative:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Who's JarlFrank and what heinous acts of sacrilege did he commit?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.