Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I don't use discord so it's a good thing I saw this tweet:

Did my part and left a positive review. Fingers crossed somebody like Mandalore or Sseth will do an AoD video this year and give the ITS gang some much deserved recognition.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm still waiting for it to exit Early Access before I devote any significant amount of time to it, and I'm not going to write a positive review of a game I haven't played, despite the fact I know I'm going to enjoy it. So sadly my support in this realm is going to have to wait until v1.0 drops.

ADL

Prophet
Shame I didn't buy it on Steam where a review would get more visibility. Haven't played early access since release day but I enjoyed it enough to leave a positive review on GOG. A studio making niche games should never go under because the people outside that niche thought it was too hard or whatever.

Final product will 100% be worth a buy based on what little I played.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

Did my part and left a positive review. Fingers crossed somebody like Mandalore or Sseth will do an AoD video this year and give the ITS gang some much deserved recognition.

Already done my part:salute:, would hate to see Iron Tower Studio go out of business, they make CRPGs like no one else.

Screenshot-2023-04-12-160025.png

Diggfinger

Arcane
Yay, more good reviews incoming!

But isnt he just stating that in general they need good reviews (like all indie-artists do). Dont see him saying they are out of business in any way?

xuerebx

Erudite
Things aren't going well financially, really? :( Dammit, I wish I could leave a review (I already bought the game) but with no hours on record (as I'm waiting for the final release) my review won't be worth shit, and I have qualms with posting a review without playtime. Anything else one can do for Vince & co to get more exposure?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Playing it now so I can leave a review. Looks and feels like a more refined Age of Decadence. I wasn't really a fan of all the exposition before you even play the game. It's cool that you're establishing the philosophical outlook of your character, but it's too much too quickly.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
This is marketing malpractice. I repeat:
I think Vault Dweller needs to try to aggressively upsell Colony Ship to Age of Decadence owners. That's your surest bet - people who you know have already paid money for that sort of game. Find a way to remind them you exist.
To market anything you need a budget and an outlet (media willing to cover the game). We have neither.

cb.spike

Educated
You can write review even if you have zero hours in game. It is important because it is still counted to general score of game on store page, which is how people are deciding if they buy the game. Just check the number and if it is under 80% it is no buy. It is great if you can write perfect review that points out all strenghts of game, but it is just a bonus, what matters is just that one thumb up.

And the bad finance situation is just asumtion of that guy. It is true that Iron Tower is going through rough time, dead of the team member, general chagne of market war that is also affecting team members, but I don´t remeber anything where Vibce would confirm they are running out of money.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yay, more good reviews incoming!

But isnt he just stating that in general they need good reviews (like all indie-artists do). Dont see him saying they are out of business in any way?
The situation isn't dire, we have more than enough to finish the game without cutting any corners. The quote was part of a larger on-going conversation about our future. If Colony Ship fails to sell enough to pay for the sequel, we're out of business. Right now it's 50/50, meaning sales aren't strong enough (which could be attributed to EA), but there's still hope.

cb.spike

Educated
This is marketing malpractice. I repeat:
I think Vault Dweller needs to try to aggressively upsell Colony Ship to Age of Decadence owners. That's your surest bet - people who you know have already paid money for that sort of game. Find a way to remind them you exist.
To market anything you need a budget and an outlet (media willing to cover the game). We have neither.

As someone has mentione before, once version 1.0 is out, just mail some 10% off cupon via steam to all owners of your game. That is the leaset you can do to promote it to people who already have tried your games but maybe are not following development of the next one but might be interested.

xuerebx

Erudite
You can write review even if you have zero hours in game. It is important because it is still counted to general score of game on store page, which is how people are deciding if they buy the game. Just check the number and if it is under 80% it is no buy. It is great if you can write perfect review that points out all strenghts of game, but it is just a bonus, what matters is just that one thumb up.

And the bad finance situation is just asumtion of that guy. It is true that Iron Tower is going through rough time, dead of the team member, general chagne of market war that is also affecting team members, but I don´t remeber anything where Vibce would confirm they are running out of money.
Fuck it, I'm writing one.

EDIT: apparently it needs to be installed though. So later when I'm at home.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath

Not as big but he gets decent views:

Shadenuat

Arcane

Not as big but he gets decent views:

Isnt that one who died to spiderswarms and couldt calculate his bab?

Technomancer

Liturgist
Isn't downscaling a posibility? back to more humble ends, older looking graphics, smaller team... AoD's allure wasn't the visual aspect exactly.
Not for the next game at least. It wouldn't work for sequel to be completely different when Colony Ship is a party RPG. And they can't do any other game next because they need assets from CS to be cost-efficient and save costs on developing it all from scratch (animations, models, ruleset, world building etc). And the team is a skeleton crew already, you just can't go much slimmer than that.

After "CS2" however, there is a high chance that Iron Tower will return to solo only adventures due to massive strain scripting for companion deaths and permutations put upon developers. Because immortal companions is the sort of decline they don't want to deal with, even if it would radically solve the issue.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
After "CS2" however, there is a high chance that Iron Tower will return to solo only adventures due to massive strain scripting for companion deaths and permutations put upon developers. Because immortal companions is the sort of decline they don't want to deal with, even if it would radically solve the issue.
squad based was always a mistake, especially in skillz heavy game

Technomancer

Liturgist
squad based was always a mistake, especially in skillz heavy game
I prefer solo due to how much it accentuates accomplishments of main character and because of stacked odds in combat. But I can't blame them for going bigger and more complex. And their eternal inspiration - Fallout - had companions too. Add perks and traits but not companions? Didn't seem quite right.

tommy heavenly6

Learned
And their eternal inspiration - Fallout - had companions too
In Fallout you don't control them directly though. Haven't played CS yet because it's against my religion to play unfinished early access titles but I suppose it works like it did in Dungeon Rats and most squad based RPGs.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
arcanum did it best - have your companions kill everything in sight and steal your xp. Ultimate trolling

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom