Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Readher

Savant
compatibility issues with RAM
Once again, time to wake up. RAM compatibility hasn't been a problem since Zen 2 (and even Zen+ was much better than Zen 1, which was admittedly extremely bad in that regard). Keep in mind that AMD supports XMP on all mobos, while Intel locks it behind high-end models, which means compatibility reports work in Intel's favor.

Semiurge

Cipher
Keep in mind that AMD supports XMP on all mobos, while Intel locks them behind high-end models, which means compatibility reports work in Intel's favor.

Depends on what one considers high-end. I for instance have never owned true high-end models that are intended for heavy overclocking and workloads, yet most of mine had XMP support. I mostly target the middle range of models, high-end offers too many features that I will never need, and the cheapest gaming-branded models fall apart if you look at them wrong.

Last edited:

Readher

Savant
Keep in mind that AMD supports XMP on all mobos, while Intel locks them behind high-end models, which means compatibility reports work in Intel's favor.

Depends on what one considers high-end. I for instance have never owned true high-end models that are intended for heavy overclocking and workloads, yet most of mine had XMP support.
You need Z chipset for XMP on Intel. AMD supports it even on A chipsets which go for like $45 (and that's with 23% VAT included).

ADL

Prophet
The top models of the 5000 series do outperform Intel at the moment, but with resolutions above that ridiculous 1080p they become more or less equal. I could consider buying Ryzen if their platforms lacked the annoying bugs and compatibility issues with RAM. I find that stability is underappreciated these days.
This has been the case for a while and I've always wondered who the fuck is spending $500+ on processors and still runs 1080p?

Semiurge

Cipher

Depends on what one considers high-end. I for instance have never owned true high-end models that are intended for heavy overclocking and workloads, yet most of mine had XMP support.
You need Z chipset for XMP on Intel. AMD supports it even on A chipsets which go for like $45 (and that's with 23% VAT included).

Not all Z-chipset boards are ridiculously expensive, especially if you look at the pleb brands like MSI, but keep in mind that if you buy cheap, you get shit.

Readher

Savant
The top models of the 5000 series do outperform Intel at the moment, but with resolutions above that ridiculous 1080p they become more or less equal. I could consider buying Ryzen if their platforms lacked the annoying bugs and compatibility issues with RAM. I find that stability is underappreciated these days.
This has been the case for a while and I've always wondered who the fuck is spending $500+ on processors and still runs 1080p?
You realize that at higher resolutions, it's GPU that becomes the bottleneck? At 2K or 4K, you'll almost always hit GPU bottleneck before CPU bottleneck. CPU is much more important for 1080p since that resolution actually allows you to push high framerate and it's usually CPU that's bottlenecking.

It's why CPU benchmarks often have 720p tests in them - they essentially put GPU out of the equation.

Semiurge

Cipher
who the fuck is spending $500+ on processors and still runs 1080p?

CoD kids.

Readher

Savant
who the fuck is spending $500+ on processors and still runs 1080p?

CoD kids.
Or, you know, people who do other things besides gaming on their PC? Or people who stream? It sure feels nice to stream new AAA games at 1080p 60fps, 6k bitrate on fast x264 preset resulting in smooth and clear image (little to no pixelation) and be at ~15% CPU usage with no drop of in-game framerate at all, and that's on $300 3700X.

Semiurge

Cipher
Or, you know, people who do other things besides gaming on their PC? Or people who stream? It sure feels nice to stream new AAA games at 1080p 60fps, 6k bitrate on fast x264 preset resulting in smooth and clear image (little to no pixelation) and be at ~15% CPU usage with no drop of in-game framerate at all, and that's on $300 3700X.

Even if you stream it makes no difference whether your CPU is 10900K or Ryzen 5xxx, that Intel will not suck at it.

Intel might have been caught off-guard by Ryzen 5000 and it shows, but if AMD keeps at it Intel will have to produce models that are both cheaper and more efficient. Otherwise it's game over for them.

FLy1nRabBit

Novice

I played on 1440p for a bit but the performance loss didn't make up for the extra resoultion so I "downgraded" to a 1080p monitor that is 240hz, so I'd want to push those frames since that matters to me more than the extra clarity. I wouldn't spend 500+ dollars though on a processor, and I do miss the extra screen relestate on windows with a 1440p.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Even if you stream it makes no difference whether your CPU is 10900K or Ryzen 5xxx, that Intel will not suck at it.

Intel might have been caught off-guard by Ryzen 5000 and it shows, but if AMD keeps at it Intel will have to produce models that are both cheaper and more efficient. Otherwise it's game over for them.
Intel 10900 and the high end Ryzen 5000 CPUs are more or less equal in performance, they are trading blows under games. But Ryzen consumes less power and generates less heat, and it is a bit cheaper. Take it as you will.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
"GTA clone+CYOA in a cyberpunk setting?"

Because what a shit game that would make omg right? lmao. GTA is, has always been quality shit, add all that RPG goodness on top = qualitier shit :P

I'm judging the game as an RPG. Else I would simply not criticize any RPG I've found enjoyable even if the RPG elements were lackluster.

Semiurge

Cipher
I played on 1440p for a bit but the performance loss didn't make up for the extra resoultion so I "downgraded" to a 1080p monitor that is 240hz, so I'd want to push those frames since that matters to me more than the extra clarity.

It would likely depend on the game how well the upscaling is handled. Sharpening filters might become useful.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wow at the recent video... Even if it is fudging it with cut corners and scripted everything, it is still going to be huge and I liked that it makes GTA look like the sack of old shit that it always was.
Come on man, is this your first time around the block? Are you talking about this?

It's just a bunch of scripted sequences, characters talking, landscape shots and some snippets of a player driving or shooting, but not as you would see it during actual gameplay. It's like people forgot that underwhelming video of actual gameplay posted earlier here. Will this game be graphics whory at times? Sure, and it won't be downgraded like an Ubisoft game. I've already said this is a gen transitional game.

But what you see is still not what you get and it will feel a bit like the video comparison above. I thought people had learned by now not to trust cinematic trailers that consist of snippets of scripted sequences and carefully selected bits and bobs of the game running on an 8K resolution on some monster PC they have that churns these out. What is actually there is likely not nearly as impressive as the image you have formed of the game in your head. Due to this there will be many videos of the game poking fun at it, showing how limited it really is and so on. Because under the hood there is really just something very basic that had enough money thrown at it to get this huge, the marketing being even more expensive than the product itself. It will be buggy, it will be messy, maybe some NPC lines that repeat will get stuck in your head and become a meme.

I keep kicking the hornets nest of angry Poles and nerds who have spent a fortune on their PC build and have pre-ordered the game seven times, but let's get real here, they may have good marketing and been smart by not doing the 15+ editions and MntDew and Dorito sponsorship with unique DLC in the bottom of the Dorito bags and under Pepsi bottles with ingame microtransactions, but this is a braindead blockbuster through and through. What excites people about this game is purely the cinematic collar grabbing action and being able to see the fear in your character's eye in the RTX reflection on the latex pants of a 300 pound shemale as she unzips and whops her chrome cyberdick out.

So many graphicswhores here. But what about the actual game you fucks? Am I going insane here or are people really getting this worked up over some GTA-NuDeus Ex clone from what could just as well be FMV cutscenes? I don't fly that way, I only get off to art direction and game mechanics. So when you fags download your Polish Cybergay simulator on release day and it is a broken mess then remember that the Donut warned you. When you get used to the next gen graphics and you stop being impressed with the game and discover that it is really mediocre beneath the RTX and scripted cutscene fasade then remember the fucking Donut that warned you.

Holy fuck, a new generation of consoles and hardware people start jizzing all over the place. Do we really need to do this every time there's a new console generation?

Yes that video more or less wowed me. I don't buy the "everything is scripted and sux ballz" angle, it won't be any more scripted than every other open world game. WD Legion maybe an exception but that game looks kinda under developed too. I wont be upgrading for this or anything, I have a several year old graphics card but I'll do ok without the shiny stuff. Don't go 4k, it is cheaper. And yes it is Nu GTA but GTA had promise and never went anywhere because they got away with just releasing the same game every few years with a lick of paint, because the public are plebs. Now with Watch Dogs, this, and whatever else, it is all becoming more competitive.

Generic-Giant-Spider

All is well as long as wiminz take orders and men call the shots.

Hehehehehe

Nigga when the bitch dyes her hair her favorite Skittles color then the man already lost his shot calling powers. You think a real strapping stud wants a girl that looks like one of those Troll dolls from the '80s/'90s? Hoes don't even glow. Hard facts.

Semiurge

Cipher
All is well as long as wiminz take orders and men call the shots.

Hehehehehe

Nigga when the bitch dyes her hair her favorite Skittles color then the man already lost his shot calling powers. You think a real strapping stud wants a girl that looks like one of those Troll dolls from the '80s/'90s? Hoes don't even glow. Hard facts.

Unnatural hair colours are like blue food - unappetizing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It depends on the entire style, but just randomly having unnaturally colored hair looks pretty bad, yeah. That goes for both men and women.

Semiurge

Cipher
It depends on the entire style, but just randomly having unnaturally colored hair looks pretty bad, yeah. That goes for both men and women.

This is true. You have to commit to a style completely, be it preppie, hippie or street punk. You can't mix and match.

fad703ebe318e6d52fd824e01542c653.jpg

aea2b215c4fe73d9461b806cc8369308.jpg

a86efab768e447d6c053b1b37b982a89.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom