Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
how would you give the player a sense of character/build progression

Okay so check out this mad idea
Instead of worrying about progression memes you just make good gameplay with tons of depth so as the player plays the game they're forced to get better at the game to overcome harder challenges.

how would you stop him from going into places where he shouldn't be for "story" reasons?
You put a fucking door there. Cyberpunk and Witcher don't let you speedrun the game if you cheat and reach max level so I don't even know what you're on about.
Ok, since you are getting cheeky after I've maintained a friendly tone, this is my last reply or I would have to stop being civil and I made a promise.

Regarding your mad idea - what you suggest is to throw away the semblance of RPG progression and rely on player skills only. Then you would get massive parts of the audience, the mouthbreathing part in general, rave about how your game "is not RPG anymore", with all the attached snot like "GTA clone", "action game", etc.

Regarding putting doors - Witcher 3 actually does let you "speed run" because the quickest way to gain XP is to do the main quest, which awards big and static amounts of XP whereas other quests give XP scaled to your level versus the quest level. If you are overlevelled for a sidequest you get 1xp for doing that sidequest. So the "doors" in Witcher 3 are story doors, not XP doors, contrary to what you say ("cheat and reach max level").

Gerrard

Arcane
Game does not have diablo style gear btw
It literally has color coded rarity levels.

Pfft, yeah, Denuvo. 'memba how Witcher 3 v1.02 ran like? Like dis for example:
PRCr68b.png

Remember that when W3 came out nvidia released "game ready" drivers that just so happened to reduce the performance for the older architecture cards.
Except now you can't even buy the new cards so...

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Specs go up, performance still goes down. It's just the general decline of game development and IT.
Look at watch dog's leaked source for proofs, i am surprised that any machines can handle modern games if they all have that abomination of a code.
The more recycles and reskins of the same game you produce, the more barnacles your engine collects, and Ubi are the undisputed champions of reskins. The other one is Bethesda, and look at their engine for confirmation of the above statement. :D

In the end your engine becomes the wordpress of game development, and the only way to stop it from swallowing the world is to stage a fire in your company offices and burn the abomination.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
now that the polish have fallen, only belgium and russia stand as the Light of Europe
So unless you make a retro RPG for grognads, you are considered a fallen develepor, despite the gamers and the media praising your game which earned you hundreds of millions of dollars. M'kay.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Imagine calling Larian and Russian shovelware the light of Europe, poor bastard

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
use the SSD for development and the HDD for garbage AAA games. But given how bad the load times are getting these days I won't be able to get away with that soon.
I still put the installers on the HDD though. If I could afford to I would get a second M.2 but the new Wacom took priorities because my Cintiq finally died after 14 years.
ok sorry for being rude to you

hope no hard feelings between us

Gerrard

Arcane
You make some dumb fucking posts all the time, but this one might be the dumbest you've made this year. Congratulations. Your dumbfuck tag is long overdue.

Ok mister "i don't know what strobe light is"
But this could be cultural difference. In Europe club scene is huge. In US niggerlandia it is not.
People with epilepsy don't go night clubs. You dumb fuck. Jesus Christ.
The scene in question is EXACTLY like the test that is done during an EEG to check for light triggered epilepsy. Stop posting.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Pfft, yeah, Denuvo. 'memba how Witcher 3 v1.02 ran like? Like dis for example:
PRCr68b.png
On a sidenote, I find it fun how the rest of the benchmarking system's specs have increased since 2015. I still have i7 4790k and 2x4 GB DDR3 RAM, which was apparently considered enough of a benchmarking system in order to isolate the GPU during tests. Nowadays it would be an i9 / 16 GB DDR4 (if not more)
Nah, I don't think with OC'd 4790k there will be any problem but if I were you I'd slap another 2x4 DDR3 kit and overclocked it as well. BTW, here how TW3 crapped out without patches up until 1.04:

Beaut of a tradition of modern gamedev - add optimizations post-launch.

Perkel

Arcane
The scene in question is EXACTLY like the test that is done during an EEG to check for light triggered epilepsy. Stop posting.

Go back to retardera if you think devs on purpose put EEG into game and not because they like strobe light effect which is something every young person knows in poland, especially in Warsaw area.

Are you nigger ?

Gerrard

Arcane

Go back to retardera if you think devs on purpose put EEG into game and not because they like strobe light effect which is something every young person knows in poland, especially in Warsaw area.
If no person on the team thought even for a moment that it might not be the best idea to put that into the game, then they all have room temperature IQ.

For weebs only its worth a watch to listen to the track at 1:30 for everyone else.

Wonder how many people will get epilepsy triggered from that flashing.

Literally called this issue 2 months ago.

orcinator

Liturgist
Then you would get massive parts of the audience, the mouthbreathing part in general, rave about how your game "is not RPG anymore", with all the attached snot like "GTA clone", "action game", etc.
Remember when that group hurt a AAA game's sales?
Maybe whatever promise you've made should have been to stop making stupid comments.

Perkel

Arcane

Maybe they just don't care about losers who can die by watching things go brrrrr on screen. People with epilepsy shouldn't play games to begin with or watch tv. They should stick to books, at least they will have some bragging rights from time to time.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
CD Projekt allegedly told reviewers specifically to NOT benchmark the review version of the game because it is using an unoptimized Denuvo DRM. The final release will be DRM free and will most likely let the CPU breathe a little. While I do not expect the GTX1060/RX570 types of cards to suddenly go 60 fps, I believe the bars on such charts will become a bit longer.

edit - https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1336066826233651202

YStfw3E.png
I like how this documents once again that Denuvo costs performance.

It costs you money, everytime you run game, you pay higher energy bills.

Dexter

Arcane
IGN japan https://jp.ign.com/cyberpunk-2077/48777/review/20202077
正直なところ、数あるオープン・ワールドのゲームのうち、ここまで世界観にどっぷりと浸ることができたゲームは、十年以上前、少年のころプレイした『Fallout 3』以来だ。
Honestly, of all the open-world games I've played, the last time I was able to immerse this much into its world was when I played Fallout 3 as a teenager more than 10 years ago.
:prosper:
What's the problem with that? According to "Professional critics" who everyone now agrees are an Objective measure of quality, CDPR has managed to make a game that's just as good as Fallout 3!
k171QwA.jpg

:troll:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

Maybe they just don't care about losers who can die by watching things go brrrrr on screen. People with epilepsy shouldn't play games to begin with or watch tv. They should stick to books, at least they will have some bragging rights from time to time.

While edgy, I had the same thoughts. You can't accommodate everyone and if I had epilepsy the last thing I'd subject myself to is brightly flashing light on a screen all day.

Besides, once the usual suspects realize you can push "disability acceptance in gaming" it won't end at just epileptics or arachnophobes...

Parabalus

Arcane

While edgy, I had the same thoughts. You can't accommodate everyone and if I had epilepsy the last thing I'd subject myself to is brightly flashing light on a screen all day.

Besides, once the usual suspects realize you can push "disability acceptance in gaming" it won't end at just epileptics or arachnophobes...

Any link to a video, instead of just the descriptive image?

The night club comparison is pretty dumb, you don't stare at the lights directly at a close distance there.

mondblut

Arcane

Since the 80s, every game came with this warning:

A very small percentage of individuals may experience epileptic seizures or blackouts when exposed to certain light patterns or flashing lights. Exposure to certain patterns or backgrounds on a television screen or when playing video games may trigger epileptic seizures or blackouts in these individuals. These conditions may trigger previously undetected epileptic symptoms or seizures in persons who have no history of prior seizures or epilepsy. If you, or anyone in your family has an epileptic condition or has had seizures of any kind, consult your physician before playing.

But I guess they are jumping on "the rest of the world must accomodate to MY condition" bandwagon.

Ulcer survivors campaigning to ban all spicy food when?

Last edited:

Fredward

Scholar

Any link to a video, instead of just the descriptive image?

There's a braindance sequence somewhere that apparently starts with replicating the lights/setup doctors use when purposefully inducing seizures to see what's happening in the person's brain. Don't have it on hand though.

So the issue is not just 'flashing lights' it's using a sequence of flasging lights that's known to induce seizures.

I'll see if I can find the tweet.

found it

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom