Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MasPingon

Arcane

Perkel

Arcane
Any link to a video, instead of just the descriptive image?
The night club comparison is pretty dumb, you don't stare at the lights directly at a close distance there.

Clearly you haven't been to any proper techno club. Strobes in your eyes in every directions enough lasers to cut you into piecies if combined and enough smoke to make you wish have a smoke for a breather.

Since the 80s, every game came with this warning:

A very small percentage of individuals may experience epileptic seizures or blackouts when exposed to certain light patterns or flashing lights. Exposure to certain patterns or backgrounds on a television screen or when playing video games may trigger epileptic seizures or blackouts in these individuals. These conditions may trigger previously undetected epileptic symptoms or seizures in persons who have no history of prior seizures or epilepsy. If you, or anyone in your family has an epileptic condition or has had seizures of any kind, consult your physician before playing.

But I guess they are jumping on "the rest of the world must accomodate to MY condition" bandwagon.

Ulcer survivors campaigning to ban all spicy food when?

In niggerlandia because some cucks in gaming censor body made them do it. Meanwhile in same niggerlandia there aren't ANY such things before any movie, commertial or tv show.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is absolutely horrifing that this kind of retards have so much power over company market value.

What she mentioned - tons of side stuff that's completely pointless - can be a major problem in games without difficulty options. It p. much co-ruined my experience with RDR2 (together with the mission design).

Now, if she played on a Journalist Difficulty and then complained side stuff is pointless than she's indeed a galactic retard. But if the game is as trivial on the highest diff. as TW3 was then we have a fucking problem Houston.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
aeDLBg5_700bwp.webp

Hellion

Arcane
This is actually a good question. People have been looking forward to this game for the past 8 years, and I almost can no longer remember what the world was like when no one was looking forward to CP2077.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Remember when Deus Ex was released back in the day and performance from even high end systems was not that good?

https://alt.3dcenter.org/artikel/g400max/2.php

The next gen Deus Ex is here and it will hit systems really hard. I remember when people were benchmarking Deus Ex on every video card and it ran like shit on everything compared to other games of the time.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
People have been looking forward to this game for the past 8 years, and I almost can no longer remember what the world was like when no one was looking forward to CP2077.

I have been waiting for Duke Nukem Forever since 1998 so it's nothing.
Do not tell him, let the man dream.

What? It was never released. Not even an Alpha leak. Unless you refer to this hackjob from Gearbox, but that doesn't count.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
but if you have no level-gating on the player or on his items (not much difference, because the end result is the different damage output), how would you give the player a sense of character/build progression, and specifically in an open world game, which *also* should be story-driven - how would you stop him from going into places where he shouldn't be for "story" reasons?

One way would be to design a different combat system altogether where the player does not aim, but only moves, chooses targets and when to pull the trigger, inspite of the perspective and adjust penalties so, that they are tied to soft, but tangible, gates on related skills.

Availability on higher tier items can also be tied to "who you know" and "when can you know them" up to a certain degree. And if high tier weapons are still obtained "beforehand", using them at that point might not be all that effective; not because they wouldn't do their job, but because the character isn't up to the snuff - e.g. accuracy and recoil penalties due to weight and caliber - yet. Or, not unless he has made his character one who already can use them at the cost of other aspects of the game. And those comparable aspects shouldn't be "combat vs stealth vs diplomacy", but something broader and more universally useful.

In 2020 you could make a literal Lucky Luke character from the get go, but you were quite onedimensional in what all you could do.

Where I'm going for, is.... Crackdown is a silly game, just stupid over the top arcade action, but it has bodypart aiming (hands, head, legs, torso) in it's combat, and that sort of mechanic could - I think - be relatably easily transferred to FPP game with THC calculations.

Last edited:

MasPingon

Arcane
People have been looking forward to this game for the past 8 years, and I almost can no longer remember what the world was like when no one was looking forward to CP2077.

I have been waiting for Duke Nukem Forever since 1998 so it's nothing.
Do not tell him, let the man dream.

What? It was never released. Not even an Alpha leak. Unless you refer to this hackjob from Gearbox, but that doesn't count.
Yeah, this game was never released:

Still looks cool as hell.

Parabalus

Arcane
Literally called this issue 2 months ago.

Maybe they just don't care about losers who can die by watching things go brrrrr on screen. People with epilepsy shouldn't play games to begin with or watch tv. They should stick to books, at least they will have some bragging rights from time to time.

While edgy, I had the same thoughts. You can't accommodate everyone and if I had epilepsy the last thing I'd subject myself to is brightly flashing light on a screen all day.

Besides, once the usual suspects realize you can push "disability acceptance in gaming" it won't end at just epileptics or arachnophobes...

Any link to a video, instead of just the descriptive image?

There's a braindance sequence somewhere that apparently starts with replicating the lights/setup doctors use when purposefully inducing seizures to see what's happening in the person's brain. Don't have it on hand though.

So the issue is not just 'flashing lights' it's using a sequence of flasging lights that's known to induce seizures.

I'll see if I can find the tweet.

found it

I looked through it and couldn't see what that sequence looks like, just a lot of text. Guess there'll be videos later.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Ready for your daily dose of Game's Media doublethink?
https://imgur.com/a/9iSaApr

and

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rpunk-game-is-a-critical-hit-despite-glitches

By the same person. Both were live for a short while simultaneously.

It is absolutely horrifing that this kind of retards have so much power over company market value.

Wow I can't believe a few websites gave the game a warm review, good thing the experts on Youtube are already protecting the honor of their favourite gaming studio.

Perkel

Arcane
Fuck me 8 years of waiting and it finally happens tomorrow (actually 1am after that but still). My plan is to sleep next day and hit it hard from 1am.

unknown.png

Vatnik Wumao
Fuck me 8 years of waiting and it finally happens tomorrow (actually 1am after that but still). My plan is to sleep next day and hit it hard from 1am.

unknown.png
Likewise, although I'm still not sure whether I should preload the game today or just download it then. I have a decent internet connection, so dunno if downloading the game or decrypting the files would take longer.

Yosharian

Arcane
I understand your point, but if you have no level-gating on the player or on his items (not much difference, because the end result is the different damage output), how would you give the player a sense of character/build progression, and specifically in an open world game, which *also* should be story-driven - how would you stop him from going into places where he shouldn't be for "story" reasons? I guess you could use stuff like "neighborhood lockdown" or other narrative-sourced helpers, but the end result is still gating. :)

My favorite approach is that of games like Pirates!, Battle Brothers, Mount & Blade - everything is open, you gain (or grind, depending on viewpoint) skills by performing the actions, and you get your ass kicked if you end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. I guess this would be described as "roguelike + saving", though I've never played Rogue itself. However the big downside of this approach is that you can't have a story that's too complex.
In d&d when you see a beholder do you need to check its level to see if it's a threat? Or do you automatically shit your pants because you know instinctively how deadly a beholder is?

You don't need level gating disclosed to the player in order to gate content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom