Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 has leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game is good, I know that, you know that, other people here know that but most of them will never say that out loud and risk having their KKKs taken away

That's a good one :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hamster said:
Vault Dweller said:
How about you go and play the game for more than an hour

What will it change? For any criticism you will just freely change the set of required merits to make criticism irrelevant.
You have NOT given any criticism. All you said was that the game was "absolutely atrocious so far, it's offensive to Mass Effect 2 to compare it to Dragon Age 2" after playing the game for an hour. The only specific complaint was "[after the first time jump] Hawke somehow got new armour without my involvement, he has deals with people i don't know, he is in a situation i am not aware of, etc... There no way i can say that this is "my" character." which is one of the dumbest complaints I've ever heard.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Feels like an action game with quests and dialogue thrown in. There is some good, some bad but mostly it just seems like it is aimed at the lowest common denominator and was made on a very tight schedule.

Guess EA finally managed to do its 'magic' to Bioware.

a budda

Arbiter
but what does it have to do with RPGs?

it's GRPG after all...

back to the topic: Assassin's Creed 2 was much better but i still regret finishing it, the ending was idiotic too, and after 10h game gets boring

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Vault Dweller said:
Hamster said:
Vault Dweller said:
How about you go and play the game for more than an hour

What will it change? For any criticism you will just freely change the set of required merits to make criticism irrelevant.
You have NOT given any criticism.
Why changing subject?

duanth000

Novice
Because the amount of time that some people can spend absorbing large, conflicting accounts of the quality of a now, and perhaps always, small sub-genre of games somehow directly correlates to intelligence. I think the real irony here is that your opinions basically imply that potential RPG consumers don't deserve to have easy access to quality RPGs, RPGs they may very well enjoy for their complexity (the same complexity these individuals look toward in other media). You do realize how horribly skewed gaming websites are in terms of their coverage and criticism? And that there is absolutely no oversight mechanism to help people find what they're looking for, short of serious investment, say...your kind of investment? Thousands of posts on the Codex and personal development of a niche RPG? This isn't a personal attack, it's just what I see as perhaps being the influencing factor in your willingness to gloss over the actual barrier to quality that exists in the RPG market. I'm not denying that in a perfect universe, everyone would have to go play Bloodlines, Arcanum, F1, etc, etc. But we don't live there. It is not impossible that the RPG market may die a final death.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
VD's pavlovian reflex to defend every "new shit" put on market is becoming the most exciting part of discussing big RPG releases on Codex. :thumbsup:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hamster said:
VD's pavlovian reflex to defend every "new shit" put on market is becoming the most exciting part of discussing big RPG releases on Codex. :thumbsup:
Hamster, do you not realize that you're attacking me not my opinion? It's kinda pathetic, especially considering that I'm not praising the game. Basically, you attack me for not joining you on your silly crusade.

For the record though, I didn't like Alpha Protocol, for example, if it makes your life any easier.

a budda

Arbiter
Hamster said:
DA2 is not a RPG.

:x

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Hamster said:

So far he said he hasn't played it enough to form a solid opinion. If you want to convince him your criticism probably has to go beyond personal attacks and *lol teh geam is atrocious*.

Also, I told him he has to find reasons to rate this game at least 80%. It's not part of an advertising deal with BioWare or something but because I want the Codex and BioWare to be friends. Like true bros.

duanth000

Novice
Bottom line: DA2 has made many Bioware fans, in addition to those jaded from the start, feel alienated. Maybe reviews should have a section where they describe a game's cultural impact on the gaming community as separate from other qualities. Because it matters. There's a reason so many people feel confused and disappointed and it should be reflected in a game review, whether or not it's reflective of the overall score. Maybe that's the middle ground between VD's points and Hamster's own.
P.S.: DA2 is a heinous, awful, unredeemable piece of shit.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Hamster, do you not realize that you're attacking me not my opinion?

I am attacking your opinion on how games should be judged, not you. The worst "attack" from me was calling your excuses for DA2 " lame". Considering that in the same time you managed to called my comments pathetic, silly, dumb and retarded it's utterly hillarious that you are now accusing me of attacking you.

Basically, you attack me for not joining you on your silly crusade.

So what is this crusade is exactly? Considering that i haven't posted any conclusive impressions so far?

Vault Dweller

Developer
duanth000 said:
You do realize how horribly skewed gaming websites are in terms of their coverage and criticism?
My point is that most reviews simply don't provide enough details, so the trick then is in finding the ones that do, which is easier than comparing conflicting info.

And that there is absolutely no oversight mechanism to help people find what they're looking for...
We're talking about two different things now: finding quality games and knowing what you're buying. The latter is much easier than the former.

It is not impossible that the RPG market may die a final death.
As long as there is a demand, the market will be served. Unfortunately the demand is very small, so your best bet is the indies.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
a budda said:

it's GRPG after all...

back to the topic: Assassin's Creed 2 was much better but i still regret finishing it, the ending was idiotic too, and after 10h game gets boring

I'll say, though, that I enjoyed AssCreed 2 far, far more than I did DA:O. Not that that's saying much, but in a mindless way AC2's fairly fun. And the environment is really gorgeous even if character models are kinda shite when looked at closely. Gods, all that architecture, the busy streets, the Carnival night, the cathedrals!

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
So far he said he hasn't played it enough to form a solid opinion. If you want to convince him your criticism probably has to go beyond personal attacks and *lol teh geam is atrocious*.

About "personal attack", lol, see my previous post.

About convincing, i don't see much sense in convincing someone whos position is "i can come up with any merits i wish and judge the game by them". If merits are not shared between games then there is no point in judging anything by them.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lesifoere said:
a budda said:

it's GRPG after all...

I'll say, though, that I enjoyed AssCreed 2 far, far more than I did DA:O. Not that that's saying much, but in a mindless way AC2's fairly fun. And the environment is really gorgeous even if character models are kinda shite when looked at closely. Gods, all that architecture, the busy streets, the Carnival night, the cathedrals!
And beating the main baddie mano a mano with your fists is very befitting of hairy-chested machos.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hamster said:
Hamster, do you not realize that you're attacking me not my opinion?

I am attacking your opinion on how games should be judged, not you. The worst "attack" from me was calling your excuses for DA2 " lame".
"VD's pavlovian reflex to defend every "new shit" put on market is becoming the most exciting part of discussing big RPG releases on Codex. "

"I think what we see here proves that one cannot be both a developer and a reviewer."

Basically, you attack me for not joining you on your silly crusade.
So what is this crusade is exactly? Considering that i haven't posted any conclusive impressions so far?
This game is getting boring.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Vault Dweller said:
"VD's pavlovian reflex to defend every "new shit" put on market is becoming the most exciting part of discussing big RPG releases on Codex. "
Well, that was after you managed to call my posts pathetic, silly, dumb and retarded, so the point stands.

"I think what we see here proves that one cannot be both a developer and a reviewer."
Considering that being a developer is generally considered more prestigious than reviewer i fail to see "attack" here.

duanth000

Novice
I don't think I can disagree with you VD, I guess it's a question of where a current lack of interest in classic CRPGs ends. for natural reasons, and a deliberately and powerfully shaped consumer gaming market (to which the only foil seems to be "mega-nerds" who lurk in the Codexian dungeon) that redefines quality and calcifies creatiivity begins. To the point where a rejection of Bioware tropes feels like a practical revolution. I guess the consolation prize is that many RPG fans can enjoy lower budget games, like the Spiderware Series and perhaps AOD ( ;)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hamster said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

About convincing, i don't see much sense in convincing someone whos position is "i can come up with any merits i wish and judge the game by them". If merits are not shared between games then there is no point in judging anything by them.
IWD2 is a dungeon crawler. Let's say, purely for argument's sakes, that it was called BG3. Should it then be trashed for failing to live up to the BG2 standards?

Or, better yet, let's look at MotB. It's a NWN2 expansion yet I don't think it's a faithful expansion that builds up on the NWN2 gameplay core. If I recall correctly, many NWN2 fans were disappointed. Should I revise my review then and take the NWN2 factor into account?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
And beating the main baddie mano a mano with your fists is very befitting of hairy-chested machos.

The only bad thing I can say about the last fight is that it will now be the idealised and never reached yardstick that all future endboss fights involving fat men will be compared against.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller said:
Hamster said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

IWD2 is a dungeon crawler. Let's say, purely for argument's sakes, that it was called BG3. Should it then be trashed for failing to live up to the BG2 standards?

Or, better yet, let's look at MotB. It's a NWN2 expansion yet I don't think it's a faithful expansion that builds up on the NWN2 gameplay core. If I recall correctly, many NWN2 fans were disappointed. Should I revise my review then and take the NWN2 factor into account?

r00fles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom