Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon II

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Feels like the team lacks vision, they change so many things from patch to patch, it feels like they threw lots of ideas in a bag and then they randomly pulled some of them out and decided to implement them.
The first game was the same. They kept "balancing" things for a single player game, which is a red flag, but then they released the multiplayer dlc and everything made sense as to why they were changing so much stuff.
"but then" is a bit of an understatement. Butcher's Circus came about 2 years after Color of Madness which was the last patch to receive proper balance updates.

As much as I wanna buy it I have to admit that it gives me pause. Trailer presenting things in a heroic light, zero mention of dungeons or even the darkest dungeon itself since you don't interact with dungeons, making specific named characters as heroes rather than making them more general. The game might be great for all I know but they do seem to have changed it in almost every way. Was going to joke that they'll probably start adding eyes but then I remembered the trailer showed some eye-boss so welp.

Odd situation since I do like developers experimenting and making new shit but for a numbered sequel I question it. Numbered sequel implies people who bought the first will ideally want to buy the second, but if you change shit too much then you'll just piss them off while (Presumably) losing some new people who avoid it due to not playing the first.

Dr1f7

Scholar
btw speaking of darkest dungeon there's a WC3 custom map based off of this game
and, surprise, it's better than the actual game

quixotic

Learned
The first few hours seem fine and then suddenly you realize that the gameplay loop is literally just grinding new recruits against the same shit over and over again.

Suicidal

Arcane
The first few hours seem fine and then suddenly you realize that the gameplay loop is literally just grinding new recruits against the same shit over and over again.
Pretty much.

I started DD three times - once without mods, second time with some mods, third time with A LOT of mods and overhauls - and always dropped it around mid game. I am a person who tends to finish long ass 200 hour RPGs and tactics games so it should say a lot about how boring DD is.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only way to play is to install all the mods that speed everything up. There's so much time wasting garbage in the gameplay loop it's nutty.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
One of the only improvements DD2 got over 1 are the improved combat animations and they didn't even bother to show them in the trailer. Instead we got 20 seconds of cart simulator.

Mud'

Scholar
So 3 replies of this page of the thread is just "repetitive grind game" but is not the whole point of DD2 to be a short, Oregon Trail type of game that you can replay quick runs until you get it right with the Darkest Dungon themes / combat on top of it? So you really dont have to grind while keeping in-line with the game (i am thinking that when you reach the mountain of madness type of deal it changes into the Darkest Dungeon)

However, i do not like the game itself, the trailer is too hopeful, heroic and i am just not interested in that type of shit.

Ravielsk

Magister
So 3 replies of this page of the thread is just "repetitive grind game" but is not the whole point of DD2 to be a short, Oregon Trail type of game that you can replay quick runs until you get it right with the Darkest Dungon themes / combat on top of it? So you really dont have to grind while keeping in-line with the game (i am thinking that when you reach the mountain of madness type of deal it changes into the Darkest Dungeon)

However, i do not like the game itself, the trailer is too hopeful, heroic and i am just not interested in that type of shit.
That is all nice and all but that is really just a different kind of grinding. Only instead of grinding exp in one continuous game for 200 hours, you are making twenty 10 hour runs. Its really the same turd but shot from a different angle.

The issue with the first DD was that it was a solid idea for a game with 20-30 hours worth of gameplay that the devs stretched out into a "rogue-like" that takes 200-300 hours to beat(assuming you play on the lowest difficulty). Unless they severely overhauled the core gameplay systems(or added a bunch more) sectioning the grind off into smaller brackets will do nothing to solve the actual issue.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I remember DD was sort of cool for because it had a low-key custom character editor that let you build weird classes with unique attacks via savefile fuckery.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Game is shit and certainly not worth the price tag or even a pirate. I advice waiting for more years if you really want to try it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lost interest this as soon as I heard the "revolving door" personality system from the first game was still in full effect. Oh, you have a character who hates undead and gets a bonus? Don't get used to it, he'll get a new trait in 30 seconds and the old one will be overwritten.

Too bad, I like the art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom