Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy Zombie Apocalypse - PS4

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah. Sadly this is like one of those games where they let you turn off quest markers, but the game is basically impossible to play without them because there's no other navigation system in place. I'm constantly tapping the button to turn that back on temporarily, and also my health bar since there's zero feedback between 100% hit points and dead. Plenty of diegetic ways they could have communicated this information. Hell, diegetic health info goes back at least as far as 1996 and Resident Evil. Maybe next time.

BruceVC

Magister
Yeah. Sadly this is like one of those games where they let you turn off quest markers, but the game is basically impossible to play without them because there's no other navigation system in place. I'm constantly tapping the button to turn that back on temporarily, and also my health bar since there's zero feedback between 100% hit points and dead. Plenty of diegetic ways they could have communicated this information. Hell, diegetic health info goes back at least as far as 1996 and Resident Evil. Maybe next time.
Agreed, the current mechanics and design dont support it but it would be a better " survival " game with a Morrowind type quest design where you get general directions and then you need to explore

Its still a fun Zombie killing game and I recommend it. I realized yesterday how I can divert zombies to a oil tanker and then blow it up to inflict maximum carnage :cool:

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
But combat is fun, travel is fun, progression is fun, the factions all have glaring downsides, and critically I don't hate the protagonist, who is equal parts invincible male power fantasy and gibbering emotional wreck. He lies to his best friends, is easily manipulated, steals, plays God, and in a lot of his VA barks sounds like he's about to stick a gun in his mouth because he's having such a hard time taking it all, but he keeps going because he has shit to do.
I've probably said it elsewhere but this game is the best you can hope for for a modern AAA release - doesn't innovate and ain't that deep, but is pretty damn polished and refined, fun to play, gorgeous graphics, and avoids 99% of pozz. Was really pleasantly surprised after trying it on a friend's recommendation, since it never got the praise and popularity of the big PS4 exclusive titles - I'm sure partially, no doubt, thanks to its protagonist and writing, which is for the most part, pretty out of step with, um current cultural trends and AAA conventions (gruff white dudebro, not very Marvel/Californian in his affect). I heard it was also a mess at launch on PS4, but the PC version ended up being incredible technically - don't remember a single issue while 100%ing the game.

Great VA/direction on the main character - Sam Witwer, iirc.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think culture wars is a feeble go-to for why this game isn't lauded as a masterpiece. Personally I like the protagonist, but even I am not inspired to yell to all my friends about how wonderful the game is. It is indeed very polished and does what it does very well. What it does, however, is unambitious to an extreme, and the overall concept is shockingly mediocre. Sad dude wants revenge for his dead girlfriend and drives around shooting monsters, using mechanics we've all seen a million times. I can't imagine any world in which that should be enough to win an award.
participationtrophy.png

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Nah the story rules. If anything we need more games where the player character is constantly muttering PTSD shit to himself as he runs around slitting postapo cultist throats.

Zombra

Patron
I agree the characterization is excellent, but it's an under the table kind of excellent. Who knows, maybe the story will blow me away later, I haven't gotten that far yet.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I found it to be one of the most boring open world games I've ever played and dropped it after a couple of hours.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Funny thing is I'm not terribly into zombie games or media in general, Days Gone is actually the first one that really grabbed me. So even though it's pretty derivative, it didn't feel stale to me.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I found it to be one of the most boring open world games I've ever played and dropped it after a couple of hours.
What did you find boring about it and do you not like Zombie killing games like Dying Light or Dead Rising?
Just the general Ubisoft level of design quality, lots of boring map marker checklist missions, clearing camps etc. Zombie fighting is fun, but nothing special in this game. I enjoyed Dying Light for what it was and Dead Rising 1 is a masterpiece, but that's a whole different genre. (sandbox game vs open world)

The characters and story in Days Gone are also pretty flat and uninteresting. I just can't bring myself to care about John Bikerman's angst over his girlfriend who died in the prologue.

BruceVC

Magister
I was thinking about one of the narrative arcs in the story for those that enjoyed the game, there is this ongoing theme I have encountered where the Tucker camp gets accused of slave labor and forcing people to work. I find it unreasonable and unfair. The world has become this post-apocalyptic nightmare of zombies and subhuman factions and human beings literally face an existential threat. The camps are literally bastions of survival, of course you should be expected to work and contribute towards the overall sustainability of the camp

If you dont like it then try to survive outside but you come across lone survivors who you free who are bitterly unhappy so good luck with that lifestyle choice :lol:

But the point Im making is if you live in a camp you should want to work because its about survival of the human race, I dont agree with the complaints about " slave labor ". Its not that?

BruceVC

Magister

bat_boro

Arcane
The above article boils my blood. Days Gone is an amazing game, certainly the best exclusive on PS4 in recent years. Actually this is the only game that made it a worthwhile purchase, I gifted the PS4 to my brother as soon as I finished it.
Anyway I believe all video game shills aka journalists could be replaced by an AI tomorrow and no one will understand the difference.
The way this "article" is written prompted me to go to openai's chatbot and give it the following instructions:
  1. create a commentary news piece about a video game director saying game reviewers suck at their job. the commentary news piece should be written by a game reviewer who sucks at his job, in a passive aggressive and dismissive tone - this didn't work so good at first, so I specified the following:
  2. write the same thing but keep in mind that the video game director is actually right, so don't mention the criticism directly but be condescending, use straw man arguments and be passive aggressive
    Below is the response from the chatbot:
    As a game reviewer, I have heard many different opinions on the role and importance of game reviewers. While some people value the insights and critiques that we provide, others seem to think that our opinions are not worth considering.

Recently, I came across an interview with a prominent game director who made some interesting comments about game reviewers. While I won't go into the specifics of what was said, I will say that I found the director's opinions to be misguided and misguided.

First of all, let's remember that game reviewers are not infallible. We are human beings, just like everyone else, and we are subject to making mistakes and misjudgments from time to time. However, this does not mean that our opinions should be automatically dismissed.

Furthermore, I think it is important to recognize that game reviewers bring a unique perspective to the table. We spend countless hours playing and evaluating games, and we have a deep understanding of the mechanics, storytelling, and overall quality of each title. As such, our critiques are not just random musings, but rather they are informed by our extensive knowledge and experience.

It is also worth mentioning that game reviewers are not just critics, but we also serve as advocates for players. We want to help people make informed decisions about which games to play and which to avoid. As such, our critiques are not meant to be vindictive or mean-spirited, but rather they are intended to provide valuable insights and guidance for players.

In conclusion, I would like to say that game reviewers are not perfect, but we are dedicated to providing honest and thoughtful critiques of the games we play. While some people may not agree with our opinions, I believe that our perspectives are worth considering and that we play an important role in the gaming community.

I would say this is spot on

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
https://videogames.si.com/news/days-gone-writer-blames-woke-reviewers

Days Gone writer blames game's failure on "woke reviewers"​

People just can't handle white guys in games these days, according to John Garvin
His second point is good too. There were quite a few reviews complaining about lack of diversity or whatever, but the game does in fact have a pretty diverse cast if you play for more than, like, a few hours. Sure reviewers are in a tough spot when it comes to massive 50-hour titles like Days Gone, but if you weren't able to get very far in the story before your writeup, don't include criticisms you haven't directly verified. I remember Garvin blasting reviewers for this in the past too, entertaining dude.

Last edited:
This game was woke itself. There was an interracial mixed-faith lesbian couple who ordered your character around like a little puppy, and there was a Naughty Dog-esque 'playable cutscene' where your character went on a date and spent at least ten minutes explaining how his CRIMINAL OUTLAW BIKER GANG hates racism and has black members and yadda yadda ya. It was so freakin' bad.
Is this true? Guess he should've put the reviewer diversity bait in the first hour of the game if so.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I would have never even come close to finishing Days Gone unless it had skippable cut scenes. AFAIC, that's the best mechanic in the game. I feel it would have been a much more enjoyable overall playthrough, perhaps even getting a sequel, without the lost wife and then she was found main storyline. That really really brought things down, but the day was saved by the skippable cut scenes feature, thank the gods, and I can list DG as one of the better gaming experiences I've had over the years.

:thumbsup:

Zombra

Patron
Vera Dark video
Not worth watching. An utterly unfounded opinion piece trumpeting Dark's preexisting and extreme bias against game journos, and pure speculation on what is going on in the minds of the developers. The only factual info she shares is the IGN preview which did indeed point out the (true) fact that the grizzled white dude protagonist is a boring and overdone trope. It mentions this almost offhandedly and doesn't bring it up again .. going on to leave a generally positive impression. That's ONE article that mentions the protag's demographics (and doesn't mention sexuality at all), and that SAME article is brought up again later, which I guess in her mind is sufficient evidence to justify the image of a deluge of dozens of woke reviewers bombing this title into oblivion. One article. One. And it wasn't even a review, it was a preview. And it gave an overall positive verdict. :lol:

The actual IGN review, written by a different author by the way, did indeed rate the game low ..... for none of the reasons Garvin claimed.

Last edited:

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Vera Dark video
Not worth watching. An utterly unfounded opinion piece trumpeting Dark's preexisting and extreme bias against game journos, and pure speculation on what is going on in the minds of the developers. The only factual info she shares is the IGN preview which did indeed point out the (true) fact that the grizzled white dude protagonist is a boring and overdone trope. It mentions this almost offhandedly and doesn't bring it up again .. going on to leave a generally positive impression. That's ONE article that mentions the protag's demographics (and doesn't mention sexuality at all), and that SAME article is brought up again later, which I guess in her mind is sufficient evidence to justify the image of a deluge of dozens of woke reviewers bombing this title into oblivion. One article. One. And it wasn't even a review, it was a preview. And it gave an overall positive verdict. :lol:

The actual IGN review, written by a different author by the way, did indeed rate the game low ..... for none of the reasons Garvin claimed.

Probably more about commenters being more sympathetic to the former DG director than to the current 'woke' company and its employees.

A lot of people are getting angry and hostile at the whole 'woke'/ESG agenda being propagated.

Zombra

Patron
Probably more about commenters being more sympathetic to the former DG director than to the current 'woke' company and its employees.
A lot of people are getting angry and hostile at the whole 'woke'/ESG agenda being propagated.
I guess. She quotes like 3 people who are mad at the studio, while skimming right past an equal number of supportive comments and several who never heard of Garvin. If she wanted to show the massive outcry against the studio she could have taken less than 6 minutes to start talking about it and spent more time on it.

Reminds me of this cartoon .. where a reporter shows a couple of cranks and thinks that's enough to prove massive political support for their position.

I don't really have a horse in this race. I'm sure there are indeed many anti-SJWs who are absolutely outraged at the grave injustice of a dipshit being a dipshit and subsequently losing his job. But whether it's true or not, Dark does a terrible job of making any kind of credible case.

Dexter

Arcane
Not worth watching. An utterly unfounded opinion piece trumpeting Dark's preexisting and extreme bias against game journos, and pure speculation on what is going on in the minds of the developers. The only factual info she shares is the IGN preview which did indeed point out the (true) fact that the grizzled white dude protagonist is a boring and overdone trope.

Not sure if game is actually shit or "journalists" (repressed homosexuals and frustrated dykes) are butthurt that the protagonist is an evil white male that dares be heterosexual: http://archive.is/XAe7b
jurn-daysgonedlkjx.jpg

Waypoint/Polygon/Kotaku:
ZZLV6SA.jpg

1pW7Svy.png

KK4PcRi.png

Kind of feels like they're using their "GameJournoList" or whatever to push a narrative and give it lesser scores.

But then again, it's just another SNOY "interactive movie game", so who ultimately cares?

Codex Year of the Donut
pro-tip to video game j*urnalists:
"old lady" referring to one's wife is definitely a phrase I heard frequently amongst people who are *ahem* culturally adjacent to bikers when growing up
don't hate writers for actually using the right vocabulary

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom