Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Diggfinger

Arcane
What does the Director's Cut add in terms of gameplay-experience? (Not skins, preorder crap whatever).

I got the normal version dirt cheap for PS4.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What does the Director's Cut add in terms of gameplay-experience? (Not skins, preorder crap whatever).

Biggest addition besides QoL stuff are the new tools (thruster pack, cargo cannons, zip-lining cargo). Some more lore/side-quests, you get Maser gun earlier, etc..

Overall not a huge deal unless you’re playing on ps5 and care about 60fps, upped resolution, and haptic feedback

illuknisaa

Cipher

I only have the normal version free from epic and what I've seen director's cut it doesn't add anything meaningful but it adds silly stuff like this:

Silva

Arcane
Had a great moment now I was stranded (hah) at the south part of Axt 3 doing a mission for that Junk Dealer dude, but with all my stuff corroded by rain, and nowehere near to fix em. Meaning, I had to actually plan go around (among some canyons and Mules), scavenging materials to build a shelter and only then advance. The feeling of being stranded (heh) on the front while low on resources and threats on all sides was really great. Reminded me of Stalkers.

Oh, and that WW1 boss is metal indeed. I hope they don't fuck Mads character (Cliff Unger?) down the road.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Had a great moment now I was stranded (hah) at the south part of Axt 3 doing a mission for that Junk Dealer dude, but with all my stuff corroded by rain, and nowehere near to fix em. Meaning, I had to actually plan go around (among some canyons and Mules), scavenging materials to build a shelter and only then advance. The feeling of being stranded (heh) on the front while low on resources and threats on all sides was really great. Reminded me of Stalkers.

This sounds cool but also pointless. Only gear that matters and can erode is your boots so all you gotta do take a 5min walk from junk dealer to distro center and make new boots. You can just leave your stuff at junk dealer and get new gear. Mules dont even aggro if you dont have any cargo (its not like cargo even matters anyway outside of specific story missions). You probably have weed that you can use to craft new boots.

Silva

Arcane
This sounds cool but also pointless. Only gear that matters and can erode is your boots so all you gotta do take a 5min walk from junk dealer to distro center and make new boots. You can just leave your stuff at junk dealer and get new gear. Mules dont even aggro if you dont have any cargo (its not like cargo even matters anyway outside of specific story missions). You probably have weed that you can use to craft new boots.
Actually it was the mission to get Junk Dealer. So he wasn't on the network yet, meaning I couldn't fabricate nor store things with him. I also had another mission to recover something from the nearby Mule camp at the same time. In resume, I overextended and my resources ran thin. Boots, bola gun,, packages, power skeleton, everything was at the end of durability and I had no sprays anymore. Even my energy was at the end - I was almost passing out before building the shelter (I'm playing on hard).

But yeah, it's possible I missed some trick. I'm a bad at Minecraft.

Last edited:

illuknisaa

Cipher
Actually it was the mission to get Junk Dealer. So he wasn't on the network yet, meaning I couldn't fabricate nor store things with him. I also had another mission to recover something from the nearby Mule camp at the same time. In resume, I overextended and my resources ran thin. Boots, bola gun,, packages, power skeleton, everything was at the end of durability and I had no sprays anymore. Even my energy was at the end - I was almost passing out before building the shelter (I'm playing on hard).

But yeah, it's possible I missed some trick. I'm a bad at Minecraft.
Sprays don't do anything. Sprays only protect containers not cargo or equipment. Timefall only damages equipment (and materials) not cargo.

Silva

Arcane
Sprays don't do anything. Sprays only protect containers not cargo or equipment. Timefall only damages equipment (and materials) not cargo.
I was carrying cargo too, not sure if from the other mission or found on the ground. Their containers was fucked and I had no sprays. That and my gear was corroded and nearest base with a room and fabricator was far away.

Looking back now, my problem was being greedy and getting various missions at the same time, and wanting to deliver lost cargo too. If I focused only on the Junk Dealer it would probably be easier (though his location seems abnormally isolated regardless, so I can see other players having trouble with him and the Chiral Artist girl missions).

Screenshot-20230607-210149.png

Silva

Arcane
Does Fragile come with us on missions later on, ike Quiet did in Phantom Pain? That would be cool as fuck.

BTW, what are some key unlocks from social links? Is there some pattern here like, preppers give tools while stations give aesthetic shit, or say, 5 star level always give OP stuff... etc? I really liked the speeder exo that you get from Junk Dealer.

Silva

Arcane
The delivery bots cargo condition estimation is bonkers, right? What should I do to approach the shown condition, construct roads?

Are roads even feasible offline?

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Are roads eve feasible offline?
If you

raid Mule camps for supplies

then you can "fund" your roads, even offline. It does help with delivering goods. Especially when you get or steal

a truck.
No idea on bots though. I always treated them as "do missions automatically when you can't or don't want to do them yourself at the moment".

Silva

Arcane
Thanks Harthwain . I didn't know Mule camps were full of resources. BTW, do they upgrade their gear as time passes or I'm imagining things? They got sticky guns and trucks now that I don't remember seeing early.

No idea on bots though. I always treated them as "do missions automatically when you can't or don't want to do them yourself at the moment".
But playing offline the whole point of doing deliveries is raising the social strands. Problem being, whenever I use bots the mission rating is so shit (usually C) that I gain very little likes.

Harthwain

Magister
Thanks @Harthwain . I didn't know Mule camps were full of resources. BTW, do they upgrade their gear as time passes or I'm imagining things? They got sticky guns and trucks now that I don't remember seeing early.
Could be region based. I don't remember if the starting areas get improved gear, because I tended to max out areas as soon as I reached them, so I had little reason to go back to check.

But playing offline the whole point of doing deliveries is raising the social strands. Problem being, whenever I use bots the mission rating is so shit (usually C) that I gain very little likes.
Every little bit helps, in my opinion. Since these missions are generic, you won't lose anything from giving some missions to bots and "very little likes" is more than 0 that you get for not doing missions at all.

911 Jumper

Educated
Looks as if Kojima's teasing something:

People have zoomed in on the file name of whatever he's editing and it seems to contain the words “state of play”.

Egosphere

Arcane
Id happily play Kojima games if he did to the story and dialogue what he does to everything else - find a talented individual to take over and steer. He can't write. He never could. And he's getting worse with the years because some of the cringe in DS goes far beyond MGS4, even.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom