Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I always wondered if somehow the japanese version is much better, because his games translated into english are cringe incarnate.

And the ego on this dude. For fuck's sake, we know who you are, you don't need 5 different intro screens of "By the Genius known as Kojima."

911 Jumper

Educated
I think media overconsumption can lead to a situation where a person has so many influences it actually ends up having a detrimental effect on their creative output. I think that's what's happened to Kojima – the nonsense, or “Kojima's genius” as his fans would call it, is a symptom of consuming too much.

Just Locus

Educated
Hideo Kojima is one of those people that desperately in need of several editors to trim the fat and unnecessary parts of his writing, MGS4 had more cutscenes than gameplay, and Death Stranding while having an interesting world, constantly barraged the player with terms like "Time Fall", "The Extinction Factor" etc. not to mention most characters being exposition-filled nightmares that cram so much information with about as much subtlety as a nuclear bomb, I always hated the people who constantly go "sHoW dOn'T tElL!" which is more of a general guideline than a set-in-stone rule and there are absolutely moments where telling someone about something is infinitely better than just showing it (if done well obviously) but Kojima makes me want to argue for that rule lol.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Kojima is one of those people who desperately need to stop making games or anything else

Just Locus

Educated
Must've been too much gameplay for his taste.
this-so-sad-v0-h93m425nv80c1.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
He should but he won't because this industry worships him
In this day and age dominated by reeetards movie critics would worship him too. He'd make another pseudosmart goo full of puddle-shallow phylosophy claptrap and Nintendo-related references and the Dunning-Krueger imbeciles would choke on his cock.

911 Jumper

Educated
In this day and age dominated by reeetards movie critics would worship him too. He'd make another pseudosmart goo full of puddle-shallow phylosophy claptrap and Nintendo-related references and the Dunning-Krueger imbeciles would choke on his cock.
I'm sure there'd be a bunch of critics who would praise him, even if it's just to be contrary. But I think even most current era movie critics would ridicule a Kojima-directed movie. They would laugh at him. Death Stranding isn't even profound. All those movies, music and books Kojima has consumed over the years and the best story he can come up with is a fractured US that needs to be reconnected and made “whole” again? As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I honestly think Kojima is an example of someone who has consumed too much. I think too many influences can negatively affect creativity.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
There's also Kojima's handling of overall tone/mood, I find it can be extremely hard to tell when he's actually being serious and when he's taking the piss. I mean, do you seriously think he expected you to take a character that dies of cardiac arrest every 25 minutes only to be revived again in an endless loop seriously?? Or invisible tar ghosts that cause nuke explosions (because we didn't get the message the last 12 MGS games) due to touch deprivation that can be repelled by throwing piss and shit at them??? I could go on... the "Mario and Princess Beach" line is just the beginning. I was sitting there scratching my head thinking "Is this guy trolling...?" quite a few times during the cutscenes. I agree with janior, in that, I never really saw Kojima's writing strictly as good or bad. I don't think he's even trying to tell a serious story, but rather simply to entertain.

Terenty

Liturgist
I think it's a mixture of intentional cringe and unintentional cringe.

For example, the princess Beach line and the whole scene with them running on the beach together looking at each other was intentional cringe.

But also there are some scenes that I think Kojima intended as serious dramatic ones, but came off as cringe.

But he did say in numerous interviews that above all he wants to entertain people with his games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom