Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Vitruvian Bard

Literate
I'm sure there'd be a bunch of critics who would praise him, even if it's just to be contrary. But I think even most current era movie critics would ridicule a Kojima-directed movie. They would laugh at him. Death Stranding isn't even profound. All those movies, music and books Kojima has consumed over the years and the best story he can come up with is a fractured US that needs to be reconnected and made “whole” again? As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I honestly think Kojima is an example of someone who has consumed too much. I think too many influences can negatively affect creativity.
It's interesting to see the creative take of non-citizens on the US. Saw an interview from someone in Great Britain who was under the impression that the colonists and pilgrims traveled to America because they were hungry.

Kojima's take aligns with someone who at least partially views his world through a collective mindset. Reconnection would be an aspect of his solution to 'fix' a 'broken' country. Overall, it's reductive, especially as the America he presents comes across as homogenous in tone and outlook, if not in geography.

But I agree, Jumper. Too many ideas spoil the soup.

Venser

Erudite
A24 is doing Death Stranding movie adaptation.
No doubt there are gonna be heavy rewrites but hopefully they'll leave the "princess beach" line intact :lol:

KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS AND A24 TEAM UP TO ADAPT DEATH STRANDING

A24, the studio behind Academy Award winning films such as Everything Everywhere All At Once has announced a collaboration with KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS to adapt Hideo Kojima’s acclaimed video game, DEATH STRANDING, into a live-action feature film.
The announcement comes ahead of KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS, 8th Anniversary on 16th December marking a new milestone in video game to film adaptations. The film promises to delve into the mysteries surrounding the apocalyptic event called the “Death Stranding”, which blurred the lines between life and death, and brought forth nightmarish creatures into a world on the brink of collapse.
Hailed as the architect of the stealth genre and a pioneer in interactive storytelling, Hideo Kojima continually shifts the boundaries between film and game. Widely considered the father of the stealth genre, he is also credited with innovating both story-telling and cinematic presentation in video games at large. In 2020, Hideo Kojima received the BAFTA Fellowship, the highest accolade bestowed by BAFTA upon an individual in recognition of exceptional contribution to film, games or television.

Hideo Kojima said: “A24 was born into this world about 10 years ago, their presence is singular within the industry, they are like no other. The films they are delivering to the world are high in quality and very innovative. I have been attracted to their creations and they have even inspired my own work. Their innovative approach to storytelling aligns with what Kojima Productions has been doing for the last 8 years. Now, we are making a Death Stranding movie together. There are a lot of “game adaptation films" out there but what we are creating is not just a direct translation of the game. The intention is that our audience will not only be fans of the games, but our film will be for anyone who loves cinema. We are creating a Death Stranding universe that has never been seen before, achievable only through the medium of film, it will be born.”

Connecting with over *16 million Porters across PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and PC, DEATH STRANDING is an award-winning videogame that has captivated players from all over the globe. DEATH STRANDING originally launched on 8th November, 2019 on PlayStation®4 and features an A-List cast including Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux, Guillermo del Toro, and Margaret Qualley.
Challenged to navigate a fractured world torn asunder by cataclysm, players take on the role of "Sam Porter," entrusted with the crucial task of reuniting a splintered America, rekindling hope and forging connections among the remnants of humanity.

About A24(
https://a24films.com/
A24 is the global entertainment company behind this year's historic Academy Award-winning sweep, and film Everything Everywhere All at Once, critically acclaimed TV series Beef on Netflix. Founded in 2012 and based in NY, LA and London, A24 has built a premium library of 110+ films including Hereditary, Moonlight, Lady Bird, Uncut Gems, Spring Breakers and 30+ TV shows including Emmy-winning series Euphoria and Golden Globe-winning series Ramy. A24 has built a passionate fan base beyond the screen across music, consumer products, publishing, podcasts and with new ventures like 2AM, Half Magic, Cherry Lane Theater and gamma with Apple. The studio is behind films like Past Lives from Celine Song, The Iron Claw starring Zac Efron and Jeremy Allen White, Mother Mary starring Anne Hathaway and Michaela Coel, Dream Scenario starring Nicolas Cage, The Zone of Interest from Jonathan Glazer and The Sympathizer starring Robert Downey Jr. from director Park Chan-Wook.

Photo_kJM

Last edited:

911 Jumper

Educated
Why is he using the term “users” as if Death Stranding is some kind of productivity app? Why no sales figure, Hideo?

The recent Sony Marvel Factory leaks revealed how many units DS moved on PS4 and PS5
image.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok that's fucking amazing.

So Kojima's pretentious turd made 14 million lifetime sales, that about right? Ha. Haha.

Also holy shit, is Spiderman the most lucrative IP rn or what.

Also the DeS remake doing very well, for a niche PS5 exclusive. And BB made quarter a billion of lifetime sales, noice.

Modron

Arcane
So Kojima's pretentious turd made 14 million lifetime sales, that about right? Ha. Haha.
14 million on people buying the game another time, 178 million on the barely changed oc at the bottom there. PS5/PS4 totals only of course.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
14 million on people buying the game another time, 178 million on the barely changed oc at the bottom there. PS5/PS4 totals only of course.
Oh yeah I was wondering what the "1.5" thing is about. So about 200 mil. in total. That's actually not bad for a retarded, pretentious, poseur turd like that.

Terenty

Liturgist
That's actually a very good result, considering the game was made very efficiently in around 3 years with a number of devs fluctuating between 10 to 100 ppl.

No wonder they green lit part 2.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
There should be mule hookers you beat up with an energy bat before driving down a steep rocky field in a stolen lexus loaded with 8000 resins.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I just beat this recently for the second time, this time the DC on PC. I wonder what they're going to do mechanically for the sequel, given that
Timefall should no longer be a thing, nor should BTs.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I gave DS a chance a week ago.

I'm buying a courier simulator. I buying unnecessary mechanics. I'm buying unnecessarily complicated lore. I'm buy unnecessarily complicated plot. I'm buying worms. I'm buying "beach terrorists". I'm buying Nicolas Winding Refn who tells me it's good to shit. I tolerate Lea Seydoux's face close-ups. I tolerate pretentious music. I even tolerate characters having names like "Die-Hardman."

However, I cannot stand how inhumanly stupid this is. How can I take seriously a character who is being explained who his mother is? I understand that he's withdrawn and "because it's all about connection", but this is a level of Vamp plot taken with deadly seriousness.

At least Mama Margaret Qualley has nice tits.

Jason Liang

Arcane
It feels very Japanese sci-fi to me. It's got bikes (Akira, FFVII, Advent's Children), this depopulated, post-apocalyptic world (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Advent's Children again, a lot of more obscure anime), Angel-like monsters, bunker bases, secret science experiments on embryos (again Akira), a bit of Japanese ghost horror, etc... Even Fragile is an evolution of the moe Rei/ Tifa-type that Japanese fiction prefers to Western femme fatales, complete with a kawaii umbrella motif

Anyway, I enjoyed the setting, as well as its technology, quite a lot. Plot and dialogue could have been better.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I mean, Japanese language is just very hard to appreciate in Western languages and vice versa, so that excuses the dialogue if you want it to.
I had absolutely no problem appreciating Haruki Murakami. Norwegian Wood is one of my all time favs.

Kojima can't make excuses about translation at all. He's just a hilariously bad writer.

Just another proof if you're so bad it's actually surreal you'll short-circuit people's brains and they'll start hailing you as a deep artist.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
It feels very Japanese sci-fi to me. It's got bikes (Akira, FFVII, Advent's Children), this depopulated, post-apocalyptic world (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Advent's Children again, a lot of more obscure anime), Angel-like monsters, bunker bases, secret science experiments on embryos (again Akira), a bit of Japanese ghost horror, etc... Even Fragile is an evolution of the moe Rei/ Tifa-type that Japanese fiction prefers to Western femme fatales, complete with a kawaii umbrella motif

Anyway, I enjoyed the setting, as well as its technology, quite a lot. Plot and dialogue could have been better.

Of course. But American inspirations have always been stronger in him. After all, Snatcher is even more rip-off than Metal Gear.

W2gwn0v.jpeg

I mean, Japanese language is just very hard to appreciate in Western languages and vice versa, so that excuses the dialogue if you want it to.
I had absolutely no problem appreciating Haruki Murakami. Norwegian Wood is one of my all time favs.

Kojima can't make excuses about translation at all. He's just a hilariously bad writer.

Just another proof if you're so bad it's actually surreal you'll short-circuit people's brains and they'll start hailing you as a deep artist.

I've heard similar opinions, as well as the accusation, as if everything that was best came from the co-writer. Personally, I see it differently.

Kijima is a good writer and (game) director. His early games - Metal Gear, Snatcher, Policenauts, even Metal Gear Solid - break barriers. Kojima also successively pushed the boundaries of detail and the possibilities of the medium.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was a breakthrough, because from this point on, his attempts to surpass himself would become increasingly impossible, while simultaneously forming a cult of his personality. What's worse, he started hanging around in Hollywood circles, and that's always bad for a creative personality. DS is an expression of his aspiration to enter the world of film and a preview of why it will be so terrible.

And he doesn't see it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Making another stealth game after this. I would assume with guns. Depressing career, if you ask me.

Jason Liang

Arcane
well... of course it'll have some interactive game parts... but... it's a MOVIE at the same time!!!!!!

3938027-david-wolf-secret-agent-dos-front-cover.jpg

Makes me re-evaluate Kojima... perhaps he was born a decade or two too late to fulfill his calling/ destiny as the ultimate savior of Dynamix?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom