Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wait a minute....

the graphics is new...

the sound effect are new...

the orchestration is new...

OMG IT'S A REMAKE!!1!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
qBDPcTc.jpg

Not pictured: Yuria but they butchered her badly and she's ugly looking bright clothes now and is frumpy as hell.

Is it Cumeye Maiden now? Also, fat official's now looking like the L4D Boomer. What the fuck were they thinking?
L4D boomer?
Sorry, it is not even similar.
latest

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Removing the stupid smirk from the fat official seems like a big mistake.

Adon

Arcane
Soulless is the easy pun to make, but on the other hand, uninspired is word I’d prefer to use. BluePoint adding in their “flourishes” and with their lack of understanding subtle nuances in tone and atmosphere means that the game loses the ethereal quality that the original game has and it’s easily felt.

I also couldn’t help but laugh with how they tried to have their characters emote. It’s embarrassing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
BluePoint adding in their “flourishes” and with their lack of understanding subtle nuances in tone and atmosphere means that the game loses the ethereal quality

:lol:

Your "ethereal quality" was a mixture of jank and badly implemented early bloom tech.

Reminds me of the guy who married a girl and really hated whatever she cooked for him. Poor girl was a good cook so she was racking her brains over what is she doing wrong. Once they were visiting her husband's parents and her mother-in-law prepared a feast for them. However everything the girl tasted was slightly burned. But her husband exclaimed: "OMG finally! Such a great food!"

The girl realized his mother was feeding him burned food his entire life and he just got used to it. And so she started intentionally burning her food too and the marriage was a happy one.

Guise, honestly, just play the original. It's still available. You'll love it.

Adon

Arcane
:lol:

Your "ethereal quality" was a mixture of jank and badly implemented early bloom tech.

What I mentioned has little to do with the bloom tech, but ok, I guess, we're going to ignore everything else that's not tied to the vague idea of "jank" and bloom tech that you're attributing the original game's atmosphere to.

Guise, honestly, just play the original. It's still available. You'll love it.

Don't know why you care what the rest of us have to say if you're so set in enjoying this game. Just go play and have fun.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A remake tries to mantian the identity and spirit of the original work
This one clearly doesn't

"My subjective feelings are CLEARLY the objective truth" - A 9-year old guide to thinking.
People should be thankful that only these small things were touched, and the game wasn't rebuilt from the ground up, like Resident Evil 2 and Mafia.

Adon

Arcane
People should be thankful that only these small things were touched, and the game wasn't rebuilt from the ground up, like Resident Evil 2 and Mafia.

I'd take Resident Evil 2 remake any day of the week over this. For all its flaws, RE2R is an actual remake that does its own thing and succeeds in some ways. Demon's Souls so far looks like the exact same game with "flourishes".

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
A remake tries to mantian the identity and spirit of the original work
This one clearly doesn't

"My subjective feelings are CLEARLY the objective truth" - A 9-year old guide to thinking.

It's really not subjective when everything revealed so far (i.e. a big chunk of the game) shows a clearly different character design, lighting, music and more importantly artstyle (even level design has been chaged in some parts).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Demon's Souls so far looks like the exact same game with "flourishes".
Decide finally that the games looks or doesn't look like the original game! Isn't this why people are bitching, that the game doesn't look and sound like the original?

Adon

Arcane
Demon's Souls so far looks like the exact same game with "flourishes".
Decide finally that the games looks or doesn't look like the original game! Isn't this why people are bitching, that the game doesn't look and sound like the original?

When I say that it looks like the same game, I mean everything else. The level design, the structure of the game, the story, the lines of dialogue, enemy AI, etc.

When I say "flourishes", I'm talking about the art direction, redesigns, the exaggerated animations, some of the voice acting, sound, score and how they use that music.

There's no contradiction here.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's really not subjective when everything revealed so far (i.e. a big chunk of the game) shows a clearly different character design, lighting, music and more importantly artstyle (even level design has been chaged in some parts).

Characters and lighting is different because it's a modern engine, jesus christ.

Kido's music is "different" because it's played by an orchestra instead of a few musicians with a computer.

And "art style"? Do you have an art style tapeline to precisely measure the art style deviation, to the smallest unit of art style measure? Are you a child? Of course whether or not someone likes the "art style" is subjective.

I subjectively think the art style is great and DOES reflect the spirit of the original, sometimes so so, sometimes wonderfully. You don't. That's all there's to it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Characters and lighting is different because it's a modern engine, jesus christ.
engine doesn't make characters look different, they were redesigned for some unknown reason and the new designs are worse all around.
OG fat official's face looked like it was made of cracked stone, in the remake he looks like generic diseased fat guy. He doesn't even have his frozen grin anymore, because the game has facial animations now.
Maneaters have different faces, dreglings now look like hobos instead of zombies, NPCs have different appearances. Crestfallen warrior is now a black guy because of a new engine, right? Those japs couldn't add a negro because of technological limitations of their time.

Kido's music is "different" because it's played by an orchestra instead of a few dudes with a computer.
have you even listened to flamelurker's theme? It only resembles original from 2:40 to 3:00. Whopping 20 seconds of original music in a 4 minutes long track.

And "art style"? Do you have an art style tapeline to precisely measure the art style deviation, to the smallest unit of art style measure? Are you a child? Of course whether or not someone likes the "art style" is subjective.

I subjectively think the art style is great and DOES reflect the spirit of the original, sometimes so so, sometimes wonderfully. You don't. That's all there's to it.
that picture of the previous page illustrated how some monsters have lost major details, such as adjudicator's design and such. Boletaria palace' utilitarian design being replaced with darksoulsian overly detailed gothic was already mentioned here. Fromsoft are known for putting a lot of effort into environmental worldbuilding, and seeing it ruined by thoughtlessly cranking up graphics upsets me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok when is this shit even coming out? Shouldn't it have been out in Kwa already? 12th November? I'm looking at Twitch but no dice yet.

Wunderbar

Arcane
J_C caring about details is autism?

What the fuck are you doing here then, go play kingdoms of amalur or something.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I hadn't played either version, but when I saw the Shadow of Colossus remake I thought it looked like a significant layer of the aesthetic disappeared when it got filtered through westard devs. Guess what happened with Demon's Souls...

‘omg u r oldfag its just technical limitations, it was bloom, it was bad bloom that they diliberately chooze that asstetic, it doesnt matter, drink your decline lmao’
It's a technical limitation that the original was more detailed and unique? Cool story bro. Liek, watch anime dubbed, the japanese audio is just a cultural limitation, english is literally just the same thign, stop watching subs u autist. The visuals don't matter, it's exactly the same when all the art is washed away by people who have visual IQs of 5 and only care about the most unrealistically bland form of realism in existence, lol.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Simple art style is not always better, and that clearly is the case here. And holy shit, they fucked up the Tower Knight soundtrack so badly. This is getting worse and worse.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
KqEgyMF.png

Though honestly the sound changes bother my autism immensely more than any graphic changes.
I can argue about changes in graphics and sound, whether is it good or bad, but there is no discussion that this new GUI is absolutely garbage looking. Soulless is the perfect word for it.

Shrimp

Arbiter
The first time I saw the new UI I figured it just was WIP and that it'd be fixed before the game's official release. Then I realised I was looking at footage from the final build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom