Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Demon's Souls Remake

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by cvv, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Well, the Valley of Defilement was the most widely copied in later Souls games, if that is how he defines "iconic". :M

[​IMG]

I still maintain that the Tower of Latria is the most iconic set of levels in Demon's Souls.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about:D
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 10
    • :M :M x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    "Berserk reference"

"shitty item description ''lore'' "

:lol:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Vyahdis Educated

Vyahdis
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. wahrk Learned

wahrk
    Re-recording the score is nice but why do they have to “reimagine” it? Devs keep doing this with remastered soundtracks even though no one wanted new arrangements. If the original score was so great why do they think they should change it?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    All of the Souls games have suffered from a sort of power creep where each new instalment has to more grandiose than its predecessor.
    The biggest offender is Dark Souls 3 where half of the bosses either light themselves on fire or begin doing anime flips around the arena, all while blasting your ears with bass instruments and choirs going OOHHHH.
    The poor sod in charge of the DeS remake's music just couldn't help himself and had to add a large dose of EPIC!!! to the mix to make sure everyone knows it's from the franchise with the big bosses that make your screen say YOU DIED. Both ironic and tragic since out of all the Souls games, Demon Souls is the game least tainted by the over-fixation on boss fight.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    The original OST is a mix of a small handful of live musicians with the gaps filled with synthetised imitations of real instruments, probably for budget reasons. The OST is fully orchestrated, meaning it's all live musicians and real instruments and for that you obviously need to broaden up the tonal range. But the core of the Kida's music stays the same. At least I haven't heard any brand new tracks yet.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Vyahdis Educated

Vyahdis
    The best solution would have been the option to pick between one or the other but devs so proud of their shit they want to make it mandatory for your listen to it.

The music bothers me less than the sound effects. I re-played Demons Souls two months ago and the weapon impacts, monster groans etc all sounded pretty great for an "old" game. There's just something in all the new videos that makes me cringe when I hear attacks connect, they feel hollow.

But I think most of this is just change for the sake of change. New music, new UI, ugly new font. Its not a remaster but a remake so we have to get all that shit.

^ Top  
  9. wahrk Learned

wahrk

Well that’s what I would have expected, but it sounded as if they had gone beyond orchestrating out the original music to actually altering the score itself (beyond just instrumentation changes). If it’s basically the same music but done by full orchestra, then that seems fine.

The Halo remasters got this part right at least. They also “reimagined” that soundtrack and changed things but you could switch back to the original one instead.

^ Top  
  10. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    flamelurker's theme barely resembles the original.

^ Top  
  11. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Vyahdis Educated

Vyahdis
    [​IMG]

Not buying.

• decline x 9
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Vyahdis Educated

Vyahdis
    Sorry to post twice but I'm watching a steam and the game really looks/feels like a soulless version of Demons Souls. I hate to re-use that meme but that's what I took away. The sounds are so off too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxNXD4fKLss&feature=emb_logo
    Its in German though

Everything feels worse to me, its probably autism on my part too. If the game comes out and is acceptable then its still worse than the OG Demons Souls. A big part of DeS was atmosphere too and that's a few hits too. Westerners just gotta have their EPIC.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Riddler Magister Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    It feels a bit soulless to me to. Also, is it just me or is there something wrong with the movement?

^ Top  
  15. Vyahdis Educated

Vyahdis
    [​IMG]
    Not pictured: Yuria but they butchered her badly and she's ugly looking bright clothes now and is frumpy as hell.

• decline x 17
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    OK PS5 arriving today. Will be firing this up first. Never played the original so looking forward to this. Will probably go sword and board to start with.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Unreal Savant

Unreal
    westerners cannot into asian visual intelligence, also we wuz sawlz n shiet

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Silverfish Learned

Silverfish

Can't believe Crestbro pulled an Al Jolson.

^ Top  
  19. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan

piss filter for the nostalgic

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    I had no idea Dark Souls 3 was made by westerners.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Never been a fan of character modeling. Just give me a bunch of well made presets i don't want to spend five hours just to try to get something that looks at least human.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Steezus Learned Patron

Steezus
    Art does seem ass compared to the original and I can't shake the feeling that changes like making dreglings into regular human dudes was just a way to shoehorn in incloosiveness since now there are also black human dudes.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Robber Baron Learned

Robber Baron
    Everything about this just feels wrong. Thankfully the original, in its full capacity, is still avaiable to everyone
    Show Spoiler
    on PC

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    Music doesn't even fucking sound close to the original ost. The game just seems....dare I say.........Demon's Soulless?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Is it Cumeye Maiden now? Also, fat official's now looking like the L4D Boomer. What the fuck were they thinking?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.