Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Destiny 2

Gerrard

Arcane
I can't wait to see them release Destiny 3 with half of the things missing again.

E: I've gotta be honest, I have no idea how this game has such massive playerbase. If this is the lowest common denominator, then humanity is truly fucked.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I'm going to give this a try, at some point.
Since its free, the worst thing that can happen is that it is so bad I won't even get a laugh out of it.

Gerrard

Arcane
It's 76GB on disk, but the download is game first and then a huge patch on top of that.

Dexter

Arcane
Played it for a while, since it's free.

It's not exactly good, but it's rather pretty and runs well on PC (could run it at 4K on a single 1080 GTX without any lags anywhere).

Probably worth the download just to check out the graphics on the varied environments on the different planets. Tutorial is a bit annoying and the game seems to expect you to know some of the characters from the first part. Main campaign seems short (somewhere ~12 hours to finish) while you can mostly ignore the somewhat boring Sidequests. Setting/gameplay seems like a Mix between Mass Effect, Borderlands and Dead Space with a lot of elements aped from other franchises like Warhammer and StarCraft.

The Gambit mode is open until november 11 for those who only have the base game. It's PvE horde mode but the other team have opportunities to enter your field and slow your progress.

the game seems to expect you to know some of the characters from the first part.

More or less, just their names and job. You're playing as the same character from D1 but PC players and console players who don't have a save file from D1 have alternate "newcomer" dialogue where some characters have amnesia and deliver some "What's a paladin?"-level sentences. Especially fun for people who played the console-only D1 and migrated to PC to play D2.

I lost a few brain cells arguing with a guy on Reddit who said it was perfectly logical for the characters to forget about major allies and antagonists because he didn't play the first game and since RPGs are about roleplaying as yourself, it makes sense that your veteran hero would forget too, and solutions like "have the avatar explain what a paladin is to some NPC so the new player knows what is going on without making the story nonsensical" are a silly elitist idea. This was before the NPC meme but might have been my first experience with it.

Last edited:
Tried the game and well, no wonder they are giving this shit away for free.

Typical console UI/UX cancer aside, I hated shooting mechanics (aim assist triggered me, most weapons lacked punch too) and the fact that half of the weapon types are very restricted (shotguns, snipers, all sorts of launchers etc.). The rest is basically borderlands in space, with slightly better movement and worse everything else. Uninstalled after 4 hours (and I was playing with friends, solo it's WAY worse).

Codex Year of the Donut
Got to ~550 light level.

Everything about this game is bland. The stats are bland(10+ points in resilience gets you... about 4% more health,) the items are bland(outside of exotics they barely differ at all,) the enemies are bland, the classes are bland. It's like they went so far out of their way to make sure everything was safety scissors & bubblewrapped for casuals that they forgot to actually put a game worth playing in there.

But hey exotic items look cool and they can change your character a lot -- oh wait, you can only equip 1 exotic armor piece at a time.

Why does this game have classes when they're basically identical beyond animations? The titan description tries to make him sound like a tank but all three classes are basically paper. The PvP is horrid, it's just everyone jumping around one shotting each other with shotguns. Speaking of PvP, I'm pretty sure that's why the game is so fucking boring -- "muh balance", yeah it's easy to balance when everything is identical and boring.

The community is nonexistent ingame. By default, you aren't put in any text chat channels, you have to fucking opt-in. Apparently it's because the social lead is a fat woman who was bullied(not joking.) In my entire time playing, I've chatted with maybe two other people ingame. The ingame matchmaking features are horrid, the 'major' overland events(e.g., escalation protocol) are essentially impossible to complete without resorting to a third party tool to find a group. Some genius thought it was a good idea to lump people who want to do major events with people who are doing quests and collecting shit in the same instance. To form a group to do these events you have to actually abuse the instance matchmaking until 3 of your people get in the same instance to 'anchor' it and invite everyone else because there's no way for everyone to just queue in together, what a fucking disaster.

The game suffers from severe consolitus. The biggest one that always pisses me off is having a single button perform ~80% of the games various actions, never fucking fails with consolitus.

I'm done with it, this game is trash. Sad because I'm actually a rather big fan of the borderlands series and this looked promising. It's like someone looked at borderlands and decided to make an online copy of it without actually playing the game itself.

Oh, and the story is kinda cool. I just wish it wasn't attached to such trash. The main story itself is ass and is horribly written, but the actual worldbuilding is neat.

EDIT: The game runs great, BTW. One of the few positives, the programmers at Bungie did a good job.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I have a 1060 and the game definitely does not run "great". Especially considering that it does not look great either.
Maybe it's CPU bound, considering it's a console game that's highly probable.

Codex Year of the Donut
Wish there was a game like destiny 2 except actually an RPG.
Tried The Division and the overall theme/story put me off playing it

Dexter

Arcane
I tried it but found shooting and level/encounter design to be really bland, and this comes from someone who likes Borderlands.

Shooting seems passable, certainly better than some other series like the late "Fallout" or some recent Multiplayer "Shooters" like "Overwatch". I think the things that the engine can handle and the varied design is probably one of the best things about the game though. Completed the main campaign and got to Lvl20, main story got kinda repetitive near the end and it seems to kind of open up a bit and offer some other stuff to do after finishing the campaign, but I'm getting a bit into the grind with my equipment reaching ~270 Power.

I can only reiterate that it's probably worth it just to take a look at the various landscapes on the different planets and moons, the "level design" might be rather straightforward and relatively linear, but the art design and world building seems top notch, varied and at times even impressive:
destiny2screenshot201u1i7s.jpg
destiny2screenshot20128iaq.jpg
destiny2screenshot201aff4m.jpg
destiny2screenshot201ahco9.jpg
destiny2screenshot201q6ce4.jpg

destiny2screenshot201tef0t.jpg
destiny2screenshot2011der4.jpg
destiny2screenshot20147chc.jpg
destiny2screenshot201cuf2a.jpg
destiny2screenshot201i2i8i.jpg
destiny2screenshot201nmd8t.jpg
destiny2screenshot201u1exz.jpg
destiny2screenshot201lrf9p.jpg
destiny2screenshot201tcffc.jpg
destiny2screenshot201ope2k.jpg
destiny2screenshot201dcfar.jpg
destiny2screenshot201b1f35.jpg
destiny2screenshot2012yiam.jpg
destiny2screenshot2016vcnv.jpg

Btw. if anyone is interested in the "story" of the first Destiny, since it didn't come out on PC, this has most of the cutscenes & stuff, main story ends @ 28min:

Got to ~550 light level.
So you bought the Expansions? I was talking about the Free portion of the game that people with a Battle.Net account can still get till the 18th: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/bli...y-2-pc-free-on-battle-net-through-november-18

The PvP is horrid, it's just everyone jumping around one shotting each other with shotguns. Speaking of PvP, I'm pretty sure that's why the game is so fucking boring -- "muh balance", yeah it's easy to balance when everything is identical and boring.
I disagree, I barely see anyone use Shotguns in PvP, the weapons of choice for many people seem to either be Hand Cannon or Sniper, personally I prefer Auto or Scout, and regarding "every item being the same", even within specific weapon classes there seems to be much better and worse gear e.g. weapons that fire a lot faster but you have to reload more, different precision and gun-feel etc. From my experience so far, the biggest problem with PvP isn't that it's "too balanced", but that it's not balanced at all. You can queue up to some Events as a "Free" Level 20 player without the Expansions and you end up with Level 50's that can One-shot you, putting you at a constant disadvantage. Thankfully there are some game Modes where Level restrictions are disabled.

The community is nonexistent ingame. By default, you aren't put in any text chat channels, you have to fucking opt-in. Apparently it's because the social lead is a fat woman who was bullied(not joking.) In my entire time playing, I've chatted with maybe two other people ingame. The ingame matchmaking features are horrid, the 'major' overland events(e.g., escalation protocol) are essentially impossible to complete without resorting to a third party tool to find a group.
I agree with most of this part, there's almost no way to communicate with players in game and it seems to be done on purpose. In my total time playing, getting to Level 20 and doing most of the Available stuff I think I saw two or three people use the chat at all, and it's almost impossible to find a party for some of the Events that unexplicably have no queue like the "Nightfall Strikes", to the point that people need external "Looking For Group" tools: https://destinytracker.com/destiny/lfg?system=pc https://www.reddit.com/r/Fireteams/

Most of this seems to be because they disabled Local chats and made them Opt-In, also Whisper is restricted to Friends and Clan members, so you literally can't even talk to anyone and ask them if they want to party up and the Fire Team invite seems to also be hidden away in Submenus, so barely anyone accepts an invite. It seems perplexing why they would do this, but I looked up what you said and this is apparently their "Social Lead":

None of this is much of a problem for players that just grab the Base game for free, want to Level to 20 or play through the Story once though, it's mostly a problem with "Endgame content". I disagree with the "matchmaking features" being horrid too, for the events that you can queue up to e.g. Normal Strikes, PvP, Gambit and similar the team finding seems to be relatively reliable and reasonably fast. Why they excluded the Nightfall Strikes and some of the other stuff from it only they know.

https://business.financialpost.com/...per-bowl-ring-philosophy-to-balance-community
Post Arcade: Our senior writer Chad Sapieha told me, “Okay, the number one thing you have to ask is what’s with no matchmaking for raids?” See, that was never really a thing for me, because I did them with my clan, and I always felt almost grateful that I didn’t do them with random people. So, how is it bridging the gap?

(Raids are Destiny’s most difficult non-competitive content: missions where six players team up to take on a large, complicated dungeon-like challenge where teamwork and coordination are required. They were arguably Destiny 1’s best content. )

M.E. Chung: It’s the number one complaint from our community is definitely the fact that we don’t have Raid matchmaking, and it’s always been sort of funny. The community’s like, “Hey, Bungo. You say it’s this social game, but you have no way to play socially.” It was such a painful thing for us, because we knew what players really wanted was to play with people in a really awesome experience. I’ve met some amazing people through random matchmaking, but it tears me apart when I hear stories about how people quit games because of someone who tore them a new one or like a jerk. “Community is so toxic, I don’t even want to play anything.”

When we talked about what was the right thing for Destiny, we said, “Well, first and foremost, we have to make sure it’s a welcoming experience.” It’s a community-building game, so matchmaking was never the right answer for us. Going into Destiny 2, we said, “This is sort of the perfect start. It’s a fresh start. We’re going to bring a bunch of new players in. We’re going to rethink the way everything works so that it’s a welcoming experience for everyone.” Then, they were like, “Okay, we got to tackle this problem.”

When we started talking about it … I have like rose-colored glasses when I think about the old server days. I don’t know how often you played games back then, but Counter-Strike was important to me in my life and Warcraft 1 and 2, 3, like hanging out on Battle.net servers and whatnot.

I loved playing on those things, but I over time conditioned myself (as a woman) to only use text chat, never use voice. I had a very neutral gamer tag. It’s funny because people would talk about, “Oh, it wasn’t that toxic back then.” I’m like, “No, it was. It’s just there were less female gamers back then, so you probably didn’t see it as much.”

Over time, I kind of realized over time how did I get through that? A) I had the right mix of personality to be addicted to this feeling of proving people wrong. But server communities were beautiful because that was a way for people to sort of manage the kind of communities that they felt like they belonged to, and they were able to really … That was a way that I felt safe, right?
Post Arcade: Rewinding a little bit. When Bungie’s Halo 2 came out, that was the first game, I think, where it was sort of like voice chat is kind of a given. I mean there were other Xbox Live games before that, but Halo 2 was the first game where you could reasonably expect that every single player, or close to it, had voice chat. Then, fast forward 10 years and Bungie’s Destiny was the first game that I could think of for a long time where voice chat was just off. For the first four or five months, you didn’t even have the option to turn it on with random groups. I, personally, loved that, right, you know? Was that a sort of conscientious decision to make it just a less toxic experience?

M.E. Chung: I mean, gosh, it’s so funny, right? It’s painful because I have made such amazing friends through random matchmaking and through opt-in voice, and whatnot. I love hearing people being crazy and nutty. But, yeah, it’s so painful for me when I hear about other people leaving games because of the people that they’ve met, and we’re just not putting good context in front of people, right? So it’s not that we didn’t want voice to be there, it’s more that we wanted players to have the choice, right, to have … if they wanted to be heard, and if they wanted to talk to someone.

Yeah, I mean, for us, when we talked about strangers … It’s so funny, systems and when you think about experiences, they sort of like morph when the relationship with the person is different. Like, the things that you’re willing to put up with when it’s your child, versus when it’s your friend, versus when it’s a stranger is totally different, in terms of the range and spectrum.

So, when we talked about public spaces, and we talked about how does another person in this hopeful universe look at another person and think, “This person’s totally not going to screw me over,” right? That was a very important pillar of the social game.

We knew not having voice in the beginning was going to cause a bunch of people to really complain about it. But, we also knew that we were going to work on opt-in voice, right? It was the right choice for us because we wanted you to feel like this other person isn’t already meeting you with all this toxic behaviour, but rather the first impression is like, “Okay, I don’t know. I don’t know. But maybe I can implant some hopefulness into this person.”

But, it’s one of the reasons why there’s all these choices across the game, to make it so that another person can’t screw you over, right? That’s why it’s totally different when you talk about activities that require coordination, right? It’s the reason why Nightfalls and Trials and Raids, (Destiny’s hardest content, did not have matchmaking in the first game). We didn’t do matchmaking until we knew we had guided games, and we wanted to do it this way.

Post Arcade: I forget when it actually happened, but about a year, year and a half into Destiny, you could start acquiring gestures for your character that weren’t entirely positive. You could say “no,” you could have your character pantomime non-verbal things that could seem critical to another player. Was it ever a fear that even that level would add toxicity?

M.E. Chung: Oh, yeah. All the time. It’s amazing how much scrutiny is put into literally every, any kind of player communication because of those things.

People use things ironically, and I actually kind of want them to be able to have the choice to use it ironically, but even still its context of the universe is still better than hearing someone’s vitriol. That’s the thing. People can do that if they want to. If you’re the kind of person who really wants to spit vitriol all the time, because it’s fun for you, I’m like why are other people signing up for that, right? But people make assumptions that there are such a thing as like totally bad people and totally good people, and it’s just not true. It’s like everyone has a bad day every once in a while. Then, things just get misunderstood.

Post Arcade: But it only takes one bad person out of like 100 to really sour you because …

M.E. Chung: We remember our really negative experiences.

Post Arcade: Every time you do it, you have to think in the back of your head, “Is this going to be”-

M.E. Chung: One of those.

Post Arcade: … “something that’s going to ruin my day.”

M.E. Chung: Right.

Post Arcade: If it is, why am I doing this for fun, you know?

M.E. Chung: Yeah, yeah.

It’s a shame in a lot of ways because if everything was perfect, everyone just would get along, right? That’s like my … Certainly, I’m the kind of person who loves experiences where I can hear people being kind of jerks to one another, but that’s like a special weird person, like me.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Most of this seems to be because they disabled Local chats and made them Opt-In, also Whisper is restricted to Friends and Clan members, so you literally can't even talk to anyone and ask them if they want to party up and the Fire Team invite seems to also be hidden away in Submenus, so barely anyone accepts an invite. It seems perplexing why they would do this, but I looked up what you said and this is apparently their "Social Lead":
the game would be all around much better if it didn't feel so fucking dead thanks to this
it might even be redeemable

sullynathan

Arcane
So I played more and the game is very fun. Shooting is solid and level design is mostly linear. Loot based stuff is somewhat addicting, but I didn't like how I got a quest and couldn't harm any enemies because my power level was too low and they could one shot me. I find that increasing your power level purely depends on just equipping the right combo of weapons & armor/gear.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The above review makes no fucking sense and it largely describes concepts that are obvious to anyone who's spent 5 minutes playing any game in the genre. 10/10.

Codex Year of the Donut
The above review makes no fucking sense and it largely describes concepts that are obvious to anyone who's spent 5 minutes playing any game in the genre. 10/10.
I think I understood what he meant

Gear "stats" are worthless. The base stats do almost nothing, many of the random affixes have been tested and do absolutely nothing at all. No direct values are given to the players because that might confuse people who require safety scissors.
So the only thing to do with gear is just equip the one that has the higher power level. That's pretty much the only choice that matters at all.

At that point it's pretty much a "why even have gear?" thing then you remember it's for the skinner box.

The game design itself is horrendous but some parts of the game are really well done. Specifically, the world building/environments/actual gunplay. It's definitely worth playing the singleplayer campaign if you picked it up for free because it's pretty much everything that's good about the game.

sullynathan

Arcane
the world building/environments/actual gunplay
lol, I'm one of those people who never partook in the MMO craze, lets just say I've been playing this game for the past two days and it is addicting primarily because of this.

The gunplay is very good in this game as a shooter, I expected nothing less since Bungie made Halo but the shooting is even better here than the last Halo games I played and it is generally fun. When you directly compare it to other MMO/Rpg shooter hybrids like your Fallouts, Borderlands, Mass Effects, Bioshocks, Deus Ex, etc. Destiny's shooting is far better, the hitboxes are tighter, the weapons have a kick to them, especially their pistols (something Bungie has done well since Halo) and the general movement is fine.

The environments look great from an aesthetic perspective and there can be a large amounts of enemies on screen to drive up difficulty at times. One thing I don't like is that there are a lot of lights at times, it is really shitty to be in combat and turn in a direction and your whole screen turns white.

The missions are repetitive. Main missions are usually go here and progress through linear paths and keep killing people against enemies that while they have different factions are compromised of very similar enemies across the board in different clothing. You have the zombies type enemy that just run at the player with no weapons to try to beat you to death, enemies with guns but no shields, the stronger enemies that have shields and stronger weapons, the wizard/magic user that flies with shields and shoots magic beams, and the strongest enemy types with lots of armor/shields/weapons.
The same strategy is used to defeat them and is successful across the board, but the 5 different enemy factions make sure that things don't get too boring because they will always look different from each other.

The closest I can compare it to is a prettier Borderlands with better multiplayer integration and shooting. I like the public events that happen in the game and how it brings other players together, but I don't like how this doesn't happen much in the actual games main missions. So far I haven't played a main mission with any random, and it seems that I have to manually add players into my fireteam for that to happen. It is a missed opportunity that other players can't just stumble into your world and help you.

Gerrard

Arcane
How the fuck can anyone call this Cowadoody ADS combat with all identical weapons "Good gunplay" with a straight face? Is this your first FPS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom