Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Destiny 2

sullynathan

Arcane
How the fuck can anyone call this Cowadoody ADS combat with all identical weapons "Good gunplay" with a straight face? Is this your first FPS?
Nothing wrong with ADS nor are all the weapons identical

sullynathan

Arcane
Taking part of my post out of context is fine but Bungie made halo games didn't have ADS

Last edited:

tomdavis

Literate
So, I want to start by saying that Destiny 2 has excellent graphics, a good plot and a lot of other nice things. I liked the game and impressed ... But after the end of its storyline, the game turns into an ordinary RPG. After you have passed the plot in the game there is nothing to do

Codex Year of the Donut
So, I want to start by saying that Destiny 2 has excellent graphics, a good plot and a lot of other nice things. I liked the game and impressed ... But after the end of its storyline, the game turns into an ordinary RPG. After you have passed the plot in the game there is nothing to do
It's not even an RPG. I wish it was an RPG, there's near zero customization and character building.
Essentially all you do is raise your power level like it's a dragon ball z simulator. None of the stats matter. Most of the gear is crap. All that matters is one number: your stupid power level.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not even an RPG. I wish it was an RPG, there's near zero customization and character building.
Essentially all you do is raise your power level like it's a dragon ball z simulator. None of the stats matter. Most of the gear is crap. All that matters is one number: your stupid power level.
Exactly.
I am playing it currently and I'm just going through the story and then I'll quit (got it for free during that November offer).
Even the classes aren't really different. You always have your grenade power, your movement power and your melee power. Only the "aura" power and super ability really differ.
There are four damage types, and each class can equip all weapons.
You can oh-so-slighty change what exactly your movement/grenade/melee/super does. I.e. instead of one big explosion, you might get a lot of smaller ones that have homing, etc.
But in the end, all that really matter is indeed your power level, which is the average power of all your equipped items (I think?). The power of a single weapon matters as much for the damage as the shoes you have equipped. Just... lol

It's all very basic. I'd say worth playing through once if you are into the story (and to be honest, some of the locations do look rather amazing). At least, if you got it for very cheap or free.
But I find it puzzling that anyone would want to stick with the game longer than that.

PS: You cannot toggle your own flashlight in the game. The game decides when you "need" it. That should tell you all you need to know about the design principles :lol:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This game makes Dragon Age 2's repeating dungeons and spawning mobs look like a pinnacle of design. Also everything feels like it's made of cardboard, no feel of weight at all.

Codex Year of the Donut
PS: You cannot toggle your own flashlight in the game. The game decides when you "need" it. That should tell you all you need to know about the design principles :lol:
Consoles, a dev admitted it was because it hurts performance if a bunch of people toggle their lights on.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Consoles, a dev admitted it was because it hurts performance if a bunch of people toggle their lights on.
Oh, boy...
That's just idiotic. Worked fine for decades in other games (including on consoles), but now it's too much? :lol:
Nobody says other players' flashlights have to cast shadows for everyone else (shadow calculations are costly, light calculations not really).
At least it's not made with Unity I guess? ;)

sullynathan

Arcane
You cannot toggle your own flashlight in the game. The game decides when you "need" it. That should tell you all you need to know about the design principles
This is largely a non-issue. Many good games are designed the same way. Recently, Resident evil 2 does the same thing.

This game makes Dragon Age 2's repeating dungeons and spawning mobs look like a pinnacle of design. Also everything feels like it's made of cardboard, no feel of weight at all.
The shooting is pretty good. You don't need weight in what is essentially a super powered shooter, Doom doesn't have weight either.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't bother. Sully is one of the biggest retards on the Codex. I don't even think he owns a PC. As for this game... my interest dropped completely when they crammed it with so much DLC/expansions. Don't feel like spending $200 for the complete game.

sullynathan

Arcane
Don't bother. Sully is one of the biggest retards on the Codex. I don't even think he owns a PC. As for this game... my interest dropped completely when they crammed it with so much DLC/expansions. Don't feel like spending $200 for the complete game.
Add me on STEAM

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
You cannot toggle your own flashlight in the game. The game decides when you "need" it. That should tell you all you need to know about the design principles
This is largely a non-issue. Many good games are designed the same way. Recently, Resident evil 2 does the same thing.
I haven't played the RE2 remake (nor the original, tbh, never really was interested in the series), so I can't comment on that. Maybe that game did it better.
But if a game features dark areas and a flashlight (well, technically, your floating companion cube produces the light) and it doesn't allow you turn the flashlight on/off at will and neither does it turn on automatically in all areas you'd want it to, then that is just plain bad design.
It's also downright stupid from a production standpoint, instead of just letting the person who knows when the player would need light control it (the players themselves), a dozen or more people who have no clue when the player would need it control and have to set it manually per each section of a level. Or they could automate it (detect when it is dark), but they didn't even do that. I'm 100% sure some designers placed manual flashlight triggers and that's just :?
I simply won't accept the technical reasoning as the very same thing has been possible from the late 90s without a problem, it would be possible today on consoles.

iD9urpb.jpg

:shredder:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well I hope Bungie guys earn a lot of money with this self-publishing on Steam, so they finally re-release their older games like Myth and Marathon on Steam and GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom