Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fair enough, but then they should model the respective shape change. From alluring beauty to horrible demon, e.g., when approaching or attacking the succubus.
Theoretically, I'd agree.
But in gameplay terms I'm not sure that'd make a whole lot of sense, the animation resource investment, I mean. Too fast paced to have time to even appreciate it :lol:

But who knows, I'm sure New Blizzard will find new and creative ways to disappoint everyone.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Why not make her attractive when she's alive, and when she dies, she becomes disgusting and/or demonic.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
Why not make her attractive when she's alive, and when she dies, she becomes disgusting and/or demonic.
I'd trust Blizzard to do this vice versa.

I'd trust Blizzard that they can't draw an attractive woman in any form. Male artists in nu-Blizzard are probably has extremely low testesterone so they can't desire a woman. Female artists in nu-Blizzard are probably danger haired land whales. Instead of improving their characters or working out and try to be beautiful; they will draw all women as ugly as fuck and write them as repulsive as possible.

hello friend

Arcane
This is what a succubus looks like:

succubus.jpg

Not this:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjYW1wdXMucmVmb3JtIiwia2V5IjoiMTkzOTAvY2x6cHVlVW50aXRsZWRkZXNpZ25ULjE0NiIsImVkaXRzIjp7ImdyYXlzY2FsZSI6ZmFsc2UsInJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MTAwMH19fQ==

It has arms attached behind its ears, with wings on the elbows of those arms. What? A succubus is supposed to be the embodiment of lust. A sin, a perversion of love, but alluring. This concept is like grimdark Dr. Suess. Also, what's with the hyper index finger? Everything about the concept is dumb.
That's only one interpretation of succubi.
And usually the one used to pretend you're not just thirsty.

I prefer the succubus variant that is actually a rather horrid demon and uses magic to trap her victims and fool them into thinking she's a beauty.

Words have meaning. The only succubus of historical/mythological note is that demonic temptress. If it's not going to resemble a demonic temptress in either form or function, then call it something else. I'm not thirsting for pixels, I'm just mildly annoyed at uninspired contrariness. The problem isn't that this succubus isn't a big-titted caricature. Certain things endure in mythos for eons because they're compelling. If one cannot create, then they should stick to imitation. This creature labelled succubus is neither.

somerandomdude

Learned
"... the visceral combat of Diablo 3"
lmao
Gameplay was one of the only good things about Diablo 3, actually, so they are right on the money here.

Artstyle, story and systems were shit, but the gameplay feel was on point in D3.

D3 always ran at very good, stable frame rates, even at launch. I got a 1080p/200hz monitor I use as a secondary display, and there's a few games I play on it like Diablo 3, and it stays pegged at 200fps without a hitch. Not just on my current PC, but on my last one as well. I'd honestly rather play D3 than one of these unoptimized indie or early access games that wants to hit single digit 1% lows whenever you nuclear AOE a ton of mobs.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Which retard asked for intensive season support? This is the worst possible way to expand the game. I bet they would do seasons even if people begged them not to.

Let people buy the whole game up front and let them make mods.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which retard asked for intensive season support? This is the worst possible way to expand the game. I bet they would do seasons even if people begged them not to.

Mods? For a Blizzard game?
They stopped leaning heavily into that when they noticed their players make better maps & games than they do...

ArchAngel

Arcane

When Path of Exile beat them in their own genre intensive season support was never a question.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Seasonal content is great for games that is well supported. dont be a moron.
It worked great for PoE, it even wors for D2R. it works for a plethora of games. as long as the seasonal content itself is great and well implemented, nothing wrong with the idea itself.

Hearthstone is continually updated, new cards, new shit. its great. game would have died out if nothing new was ever developed, and ppl would hate to see the game die out.
it makes sense to support a game u spent 5+ years developing, instead of just throwing it in the trash.

Diablo 4 is an ARPG mmo, so seasonal content is like a core part of that. as with WoW and many other mmos.

Peachcurl

Arcane

It worked great for PoE, it even wors for D2R. it works for a plethora of games. as long as the seasonal content itself is great and well implemented, nothing wrong with the idea itself.

Hearthstone is continually updated, new cards, new shit. its great. game would have died out if nothing new was ever developed, and ppl would hate to see the game die out.
it makes sense to support a game u spent 5+ years developing, instead of just throwing it in the trash.

Diablo 4 is an ARPG mmo, so seasonal content is like a core part of that. as with WoW and many other mmos.
Seasonal content may "work", but it's ultimately inferior to simply allowing people to mod the game. This is a much better way to keep a game alive.

(edit: the two may not necessarily be mutually exclusive, but I don't know that many examples where both work simultaneously)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Seasonal content may "work", but it's ultimately inferior to simply allowing people to mod the game. This is a much better way to keep a game alive.

(edit: the two may not necessarily be mutually exclusive, but I don't know that many examples where both work simultaneously)
No. It's not. Since modders rarely know whats best for the game, but want to alter the game is SUPERLULL ways that nobody asked for.
Game devs know or should know whats best for the game and how to deliver new content in seasons. Modders usually never give new content, just alter the content thats already there.. which is eh.
Sure a few bugfixes and shit is waht a mod is good for, but overall, devs should alter the game not mods, if they are capable

Peachcurl

Arcane

No. It's not. Since modders rarely know whats best for the game, but want to alter the game is SUPERLULL ways that nobody asked for.
Game devs know or should know whats best for the game and how to deliver new content in seasons. Modders usually never give new content, just alter the content thats already there.. which is eh.
Sure a few bugfixes and shit is waht a mod is good for, but overall, devs should alter the game not mods, if they are capable
With mods, you can disregard any that you do not like. Seasonal content is usually forced on the players, not that easy to avoid. There's plenty of novelty in mods, if the game engine / mod tools actually allow for that. More so than the usual seasonal update provides.

Simply look at what mods did for games like Skyrim, Mount & Blade, etc. Are there also bad mods for those games? Of course. No one uses those, so who cares? As a comparison, watch player numbers implode with a bad seasonal update in PoE. So much about "Game devs know". Maybe they do, but they often don't seem to act on it, so it's hardly relevant.

Codex Year of the Donut
"seasonal content" is more FOMO bullshit

Playing old MMOs is amazing, you have years/decades worth of content to go through. I caught up on EQ2 somewhat recently after not playing it for at least a decade and had a lot of fun. Now that shit gets timegated and if you missed it WOOPS TOO BAD!
Tired of games removing content and calling it a feature.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron

How can someone be such a corporate sheep? It's unbelievable. Is your only purpose here on this forum to spam "I am excited to buy product xyz", or "I trust in corporation xyz" posts?

It's hard to believe that I have to tell you that modding goes both ways. There are bad, and there are good mods for games out there. A bad mod doesn't have any influence at all on a game or its sales. A good mod for a game (DayZ, Skyrim, ...) can boost game sales as tremendously as a good expansion pack by the devs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a game to be moddable since you still have the choice to opt in or out to play the next official season. And man, I feel bad for you if you actually think that the Diablo 3 devs knew what was right for their game when they introduced the completely unspectacular and boring seasonal updates for their game. Might be the reason why they don't let modders mod the game after all, because then, they actually would have to be productive for once when creating season updates.

Codex Year of the Donut
On the topic of "modding" online persistent games, Cryptic's three MMO games formerly had "user generated content" which was what they called an in-game level designer that allowed players to create their own scripted scenarios for other players to enjoy.
They ended up getting removed(still angry) because the employees who made the system long moved on I assume, but they were great.

I'm pretty sure they had to go through some approval process before other people could play them to prevent exploits and such.

Sykar

Arcane
It has arms attached behind its ears, with wings on the elbows of those arms. What? A succubus is supposed to be the embodiment of lust. A sin, a perversion of love, but alluring. This concept is like grimdark Dr. Suess. Also, what's with the hyper index finger? Everything about the concept is dumb.
That's only one interpretation of succubi.
And usually the one used to pretend you're not just thirsty.

I prefer the succubus variant that is actually a rather horrid demon and uses magic to trap her victims and fool them into thinking she's a beauty.
If you meet a succubus, the end result should be the loss of your vitality!
iu

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...april-2023-with-preorders-going-live-december

Report: Diablo 4 could be launching in April 2023, with preorders going live December​

From the seventh Circle of rumormill Hell.
Lillith from Diablo IV

(Image credit: Blizzard)

What you need to know​

• Diablo 4 is the next installment in the legendary action RPG series from Blizzard.
  • A rumor over the summer suggested that Diablo 4 may be getting revealed at The Game Awards in December, and we now have some tentative corroboration.
  • Reported on the XboxEra podcast and corroborated by our own sources, it seems Diablo 4 could be targeting an April 2023 launch window.
  • The game should go live for preorder during The Game Awards 2022 if the rumors are correct, alongside various digital editions and a premium collector's edition with some rather fiery goodies.

Diablo 4 (also known as Diablo IV) is already officially slated for 2023, but now we may have narrowed it down to a specific month.

Diablo 4 is the latest installment in Blizzard's legendary action RPG franchise. Set in the gothic world of Sanctuary, players are caught in the crossfire between the forces of heaven and hell, whose eternal war threatens the world of the living. Diablo 4 promises to return to the franchise's hardcore, dark roots, taking on feedback from Diablo 3's oft-criticized "cartoony" appearance. Diablo 4 looks bloody as hell, (and bloody awesome too), and it could be launching a little sooner than perhaps some had expected.

As discussed on today's XboxEra podcast, the team there revealed the possibility of Diablo 4 launching in April 2023. We can also tentatively corroborate the April 2023 launch window via our own proven sources, alongside some other details.

Rumors appearing over the summer revealed that Diablo 4 would be announced at The Game Awards, originally leaking via the /r/classicwow subreddit. We have seen additional evidence that appears to confirm this rumor, alongside various beta windows.

According to XboxEra and our sources, Blizzard is planning a sizeable marketing blitz for Diablo 4, starting at The Game Awards 2022 where the game's April launch window should be revealed. Additionally, preorders should open too during the show, including various digital editions and a premium physical collector's edition with various goodies for hardcore fans. If our information is correct, one of the preorder benefits will be early access to Diablo 4's open beta in February 2023.

Although there was likely little doubt about this, we can confirm that Blizzard is planning a season-based live service for Diablo 4, supported by microtransactions (MTX) as the company has previously discussed on its official blog. According to our information, Season 1 is tentatively scheduled for Q3, despite the game launching in April.

Microsoft is currently working to acquire Activision Blizzard for $69 billion dollars. Microsoft has previously commented that it aims to close the deal by the summer of 2023, meaning that there's a non-trivial chance that Diablo 4 could hit Xbox Game Pass by the time Diablo 4's first season launches towards the end of the summer. Diablo 4 could be a silver bullet for Xbox Cloud Gaming and PC Game Pass growth — given the game's phone-friendly fixed camera isometric perspective, and Diablo's PC legacy.
Diablo 4 Necromancer hero image

Diablo 4 will see the return of the iconic necromancer, once more. (Image credit: Blizzard Entertainment)

Blizzard has been on an upward trend lately, after a tumultuous few years. Overwatch 2 is on the up and up, and World of Warcraft: Dragonflight is slated to launch in the next couple of weeks. Diablo Immortal has been generating crazy revenue too, despite criticisms of its monetization. As I teased over the summer, Hearthstone also just announced its next expansion, which includes a new Death Knight class.

As always, plans can shift and change, so you should always take rumors like this with a pinch of salt. But we're pretty confident about this one. You should definitely keep an eye on this year's Game Awards 2022 show to find out if it's all true on December 8.

Last edited:

Reever

Scholar
Patron

Cynicism aside, the video is pretty good. Whether it's PR bullshit or their actual mindset I do think they're going the correct way with this. The skill tree looks nice and it seems to have better character progression than D3 (which doesn't mean much). I also like the UI. I was expecting from nu-Blizzard to be some over-sanitized, cal-arts shit like what's happening with WoW right now but instead the skill icons ,for example, look like D1/D2 skills with a bit more polish and color.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom