Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

ADL

Prophet
Lame as fuck. You're already operating on a 3-4 month long seasonal model so why would you make someone level a whole damn character within that season just because they wanted to try one too many different builds? It was dumb and bad in Path of Exile and it's dumb and bad here too.

Because if everything is on demand then there is no progression or attachment to your build.

Imho they should completely throw out respec.
Nah, even within the context of Diablo 2, a game that rarely gets patched anymore and considered end-of-life, it's anti fun, anti experimentation and an exercise in arbitrarily wasting people's time. In the context of Diablo 4 which seems to be going all in on games-as-a-service and a lot of MMO inspired systems, it'd be like launching World of Warcraft with limited respec. If I'm going to be playing a character for years on standard league, respec should be as easy as it is in MMOs.

A nominal gold sink is fine but this idea that I would be committing myself to decisions made launch day and those decisions affecting me fifteen-twenty years later is bullshit. I'm not 13 anymore. I don't have the time or enthusiasm required to reroll a character because the developers decided to be asshole dipshits about respeccing my character in a game that will be constantly updated.

Reinhardt

Arcane
A nominal gold sink is fine but this idea that I would be committing myself to decisions made launch day and those decisions affecting me fifteen-twenty years later is bullshit. I'm not 13 anymore. I don't have the time or enthusiasm required to reroll a character because the developers decided to be asshole dipshits about respeccing my character in a game that will be constantly updated.
but what if you decide to change class or gender? if you are that many old then grow the fuck up and take responsibility for your decisions.

abija

Prophet
Get your head out of your ass. It's a video game you're supposed to have fun with. Experimentation is a big part of that and discovering how the systems actually impact gameplay. Making it hard to experiment just moves more people into the mongoloid net build user camp or at the very least have them look up everything outside the game which is also degenerate.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Get your head out of your ass. It's a video game you're supposed to have fun with. Experimentation is a big part of that and discovering how the systems actually impact gameplay. Making it hard to experiment just moves more people into the mongoloid net build user camp or at the very least have them look up everything outside the game which is also degenerate.
Cookie cutter builds copied from big name streamers is exactly what their audience wants and expects.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Maybe they'll graciously allow you to pay money to reset the cost of respecs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
d3 had that and any sense of building a character or making any meaningful decisions was gone. I would just pick anything and switch whenever. It also made it so I never had more than one character of each class when in D2 or PoE I had many.

I am sure for a casual like you this makes sense but you can play D3 or D Immortal, those are games for your kind.

Sykar

Arcane
Get your head out of your ass. It's a video game you're supposed to have fun with. Experimentation is a big part of that and discovering how the systems actually impact gameplay. Making it hard to experiment just moves more people into the mongoloid net build user camp or at the very least have them Iook up everything outside the game which is also degenerate.
They do that anyway...

abija

Prophet
d3 had that and any sense of building a character or making any meaningful decisions was gone. I would just pick anything and switch whenever. It also made it so I never had more than one character of each class when in D2 or PoE I had many.

I am sure for a casual like you this makes sense but you can play D3 or D Immortal, those are games for your kind.

Stop romanticizing menial tasks. Leveling your nth char (even worse in some cases, having to do it in forced campaign) is not some enlightening experience.
You clearly haven't really played D3 so keep your casual comments to yourself. Even with its latest instalments that are absurdly compressed time wise it still takes hours to swap to a different build.

It also made it so I never had more than one character of each class when in D2 or PoE I had many.
And that is an issue why exactly?

Btw, you can always pretend you're not allowed to respec and be a real man about it.

They do that anyway...
I said more. I know there are plenty so it certainly doesn't need devs to encourage more players to do so.

Yosharian

Arcane
D3 is one end of the extreme, D2 is the other end. Surely there is a middle ground

Also D3 took some other things to extremes, not just the ability to respec freely and without any penalty but also skills themselves were massively dumbed down

So I don't think you can just point to the entirety of D3's design philosophy and conclude 'all respec systems bad!'

Yosharian

Arcane
The other thing that I could point out is that D2's campaign is actually fun and memorable where as D3's is a basically a boring roadblock to reaching endgame.

Sykar

Arcane
D3 is one end of the extreme, D2 is the other end. Surely there is a middle ground

Also D3 took some other things to extremes, not just the ability to respec freely and without any penalty but also skills themselves were massively dumbed down

So I don't think you can just point to the entirety of D3's design philosophy and conclude 'all respec systems bad!'
Grim Dawn. Respeccing is possible bust costly if you try a full respec at a high level. Minor adjustments are normally fairly cheap though unless you do them ever 10 minutes. Attributes can only be respecced with rare potions that are usually only found as quest rewards fairly late into the campaign of the first expansion.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I am still astounded in 2023 by the amount of people that love to self-punish doing chores and menial tasks, and absolutely despises respecs... like

wtf nigger, time is precious. I'm not spending 500 hours on 1 char, and then needing to do it all over again because respecs arent in the game to try other builds.. fuck that.

Give me the freedom to enjoy myself, or fuck off.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
This would be less of a problem if you got to actually own the game you purchased, and could modify the game to fit your style. Like games from twenty years ago.

PapaPetro

They're bringing back the Paragon system for endgame leveling? Was hoping some dev would resurrect the DDO True Reincarnation levelling loop; where you can either continue to play endgame maps or you can opt to level back down to 1 but are more innately powerful (you get strong bonuses/abilities from your "past lives/classes").

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You clearly haven't really played D3 so keep your casual comments to yourself. Even with its latest instalments that are absurdly compressed time wise it still takes hours to swap to a different build.
Well, yeah, since in D3 builds are based on equipment, not skills. At least it was like that when I last played in, I dunno, 2020?: participated in a new season, finished some easy-as-fuck quests or objectives or whatever, was rewarded for that with some sick set items that made my DH do something like 10x or 20x more damage, if not even more. After that there was no point in playing further: paragon levels were worthless, I already had had all the skills for a long while, and it's not like I was going to loot anything better than the shit I'd gotten for pretty much free. And switching to another class would've just meant having to play an inferior character.

Granted, it was still fun for a while, that feeling of being an unstoppable force capable of taking down everything without even breaking a sweat... But that shit gets old fast. Whereas in contrast Diablo II had the good sense to kick me in the balls and fuck me up mercilessly if I didn't stay alert. It wasn't always fun, but at least it felt like a real achievement when I managed to clear certain maps and take down some of those nastier bosses.

All of the trailers have blackoids, but not a single chinkoid.

KFC has cut a deal with Blizzard to promote the game.

Interesting. Very interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom