Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

ArchAngel

Arcane
Tried again this morning and it worked better until everyone else woke up. Stone Druid doesn't work too well, at least with the spec I chose, though I kind of assumed that this would bet he case. More damage against stunned / immobilized enemies, except such effects don't work on bosses (and I assume won't work on world bosses either). Without them you just do pitiful damage. I was chipping away at enemy HP while my friend's Necro just melted HP bars. I have a Unique weapon, too, so I can't imagine what it'd be like without one. The Vine Creeper is also an uglier spell effect / summon than in the original Diablo 2 LoD release, which is a shame. Also seems to be shit and useless again. When will my tentaclebro get what he's owed???
Landslide feels horrible to use because of the casting time and it has shit area range. I don't recommend it
I'm using it because smashing enemies with rocks is kind of satisfying, but yea the spells are pretty crappy if I look at the objective utility of it. Hitting fast moving targets like succubus is also a bit of a pain with the Stone spells. Overall they are shit and I'm not sure what purity of crack the designers were smoking when they designed these spells because it must've been some bad shit, but at least the animation and sound departments nailed it.
Landslide has good single target damage but it sucks with slow animations that leave you standing in one place for too long as well as being dependant on these terramotes that run out fast in boss battles unless you made your whole build around collecting them (like also taking werebear smash that auto stuns if you use it only every 10s)

Gamezor

Learned
Yes, their entire business model is based on FOMO and whales. It's in all respects a mobile game.

I despise the log in every day shit, the battle passes, the little obnoxious bars filling up, the infinitesimal pavlovian shit drip that's fueling this garbage. I hate the very existence of this so-called game. I hate people in this very forum saying "oh well, I only have to wait an hour in queue to log in to play a Diablo game, it's alright". Fuck everything about this industry, from the mongoloids making these shitty products to their enablers, the consoomers.

This is something I noticed immediately as different when I played play d2r. The whole design is different because Saas and micro transactions weren’t invented yet when d2 came out. It’s really refreshing and then makes newer games worse. The entire design of something like d4 is around nudging you to spend more money.

Like drop rates in d2 are low but that’s just a design choice not to sell you more shit. I

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got my Druid to 25, tried all kind of combinations, settled on using Pulverize to kill stuff as everything else does bad damage.
Then I got legendary one handed weapon that turns Tornadoes into homing missiles and switched to Tornados and it seems like best build for now.
I am not using any ultimate skills as their cooldowns are bonkers and they are not nearly strong enough to be worth 3 uses of other cooldown skills.

Also I switched back to normal difficulty from Veteran at about lvl 20 because Druid damage cannot keep up. Also I do need bonus xp or gold.
The difference between switching from Druid to Sorc is night and day. Sure, I could probably get Druid to do decent damage if I find the right legendary, or I can just spam one button on sorc and clear screens away without a second thought. And this is without mentioning how fucked up you are if you play melee as every boss in this game likes to stay in a puddle of his own shit.
Druid is extremely dependant on legendary aspects which is cool for build diversity in end game and I find it cool how items completely can change build which is something PoE has but it is usually locked behind end game bosses and not available to mere mortals BUT this system makes it irritating while leveling and just going through story levels.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Going to try it out after work, is there proper co-op or the whole thing is just mmo with players all around the map?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I got my Druid to 25, tried all kind of combinations, settled on using Pulverize to kill stuff as everything else does bad damage.
Then I got legendary one handed weapon that turns Tornadoes into homing missiles and switched to Tornados and it seems like best build for now.
I am not using any ultimate skills as their cooldowns are bonkers and they are not nearly strong enough to be worth 3 uses of other cooldown skills.

Also I switched back to normal difficulty from Veteran at about lvl 20 because Druid damage cannot keep up. Also I do need bonus xp or gold.
The difference between switching from Druid to Sorc is night and day. Sure, I could probably get Druid to do decent damage if I find the right legendary, or I can just spam one button on sorc and clear screens away without a second thought. And this is without mentioning how fucked up you are if you play melee as every boss in this game likes to stay in a puddle of his own shit.
Druid is extremely dependant on legendary aspects

Even with the right legendary aspects the class is vastly inferior to all other classes - even Barbarian - as it currently stands. I do feel like people like Kripp are overreacting though, because we have no fucking clue how the specialization is going to impact that fact. I'm willing to bet that many of the issues people have with Druid and Barb stem from the fact that they literally don't have access to a big part of their power pool in the Beta, whereas the other classes do.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Legendary drops are way too high, bit probably cuz beta. Hopefully

Legendary drops are higher in the beta. Also the name "legendary" is a complete misnomer. Legendary items are basically just another rare tier in the D4 item design, what you would typically think of as "Legendaries" are the uniques, and those have a very much lower drop rate. The design of legendaries is actually one of the only things about Diablo 4 that I really like, besides the open world structure and the aesthetics/mood. They should have just called them something else and people wouldn't complain.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
also including vitiligo skin to every single class is many inclooooosive. why no wheelchair tho?

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Ok done for now. Decided I'm going BARB for release. With DRUID as a close second, and ROGUE as a more distant third.
  • Ranged builds are easy mode and trivializes much content.
  • Melee builds have a greater learning curve and feels more engaging. Positioning matters much more.
  • BARB offers the greatest diversity of melee builds. DRUID is also good, but it's more hybrid-territory.
  • ROGUE has some interesting melee options, but it's much more limited. Very squishy, and requires more autistic microing than I like to stay alive.
  • NECRO & SORC look like twinks. Not even any breast muscles. Very unaesthetic rangecucks! (although I know NECRO can melee well too).
Hoping the next class will be one with plate armor, shields, auras, etc. Like Crusader or Paladin. Or a dark variant of those.

Reinhardt

Arcane
created shaneekwa wommyn druid. it's hilarious right from the start. poor horse in opening scene is smaller than her. then game starts and she already carrying some stolen package. probably used that club on some asian grandma.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How about not watching youtubers
Imagine the Codex of all places having a thread where people discuss which mongoloid to "watch" for opinions on the beta for a decline mobile MMO
:deadtroll:

Watching videos of RPG trainwrecks is old codex past time, or are the billion videos shitting on Dragon Age 2/ Oblivion / Mass Effect etc. haram now?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Druid is extremely dependant on legendary aspects

Even with the right legendary aspects the class is vastly inferior to all other classes - even Barbarian - as it currently stands. I do feel like people like Kripp are overreacting though, because we have no fucking clue how the specialization is going to impact that fact. I'm willing to bet that many of the issues people have with Druid and Barb stem from the fact that they literally don't have access to a big part of their power pool in the Beta, whereas the other classes do.
How is he overreacting when he is talking about beta as well?

ArchAngel

Arcane
created shaneekwa wommyn druid. it's hilarious right from the start. poor horse in opening scene is smaller than her. then game starts and she already carrying some stolen package. probably used that club on some asian grandma.
It is a totem, starting one is a stone slab.

Reinhardt

Arcane
some shaneekwa probably "OHMAGAD! SHE'S JUST LIKE ME!"
paZL6WW.png

Going to try it out after work, is there proper co-op or the whole thing is just mmo with players all around the map?
The gameworld seems to be broken up into 3 instances even if the transition/walking between town, overworld area and dungeon instances appears seamless.
Town instances seem to be shared by a dozen or more random players at a time so you'll usually see people there. Overworld areas seem shared by a handful or two so you might not run into any. Dungeons seem to be private/just you and those in your party.

Coop you can just approach any player you see and prompt them to join your party and there seem to be mechanics for friends or guildmates to easily find each other.

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar
Once I learned you don't have to download 85 gigs and can instead limit yourself to 40, I gave it a shot.

I actually foolishly had reasonably high hopes for it based on all the pre-release shilling.

I quit at around lvl 5 after getting to the hermit hut. There were some things I liked (animations and responsiveness, that neat little thing where your track is highlighted on the map) and a lot of things I didn't (to name a few - maps are corridors and from what I gather it's not even randomized, no inventory tetris and everything is one slot, gear score levels, fucking scaling making everything pointless, pathetic skill level up bonuses of +1 damage wow, locked skill bar until you level up, crafting can fuck off, UI and fonts are straight garbage, the skill tree presented in such a way that you can't see the big picture and can only see chunks of it at a time, no map overlay, and the list goes on).

But what really made me say fuck it, I'm too old for this shit is how it commits the ultimate ARPG sin of being a cutscene fest. You can't go five steps without getting some cinematic that stops you from actually playing the game. And even conversations are KCD style where the game stops and goes into a mini-cutscene where you can exchange conversation options for long drawn out exposition, and even fast-forwarding it isn't fast. I hate it with a passion. Just let me play the game. If you want to tell a story, just do what POE does and have tablets narrate shit while I slay demons.

Thing also gobbles RAM like candy, but it's whatever I guess. Whoever pays 70 big ones for this is a god damned fool.
Considering you can skip literally all of them, that's the dumbest complaint I've ever heard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom