Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Mortmal

Arcane
Just play V Rising. It's only 20 bux and looks like a much more interesting game:

Isn't this MMO with PvP focus?

It isnt , its more like those semi mmo ark clones or valheim with less content and shittier gameplay. It was rated overwhelmingly positive at launch as every fun titles when there's nothing else to play. Gameplay isnt that great , 20 hours to see everything, the fortress building is shallow , was quickly bored with it. If you play this with friends its certainly another story, but that can be said for every games.
Also early access, enough said...

But Ziz was also talking about people attacking their fortress and how someone needed to guard it all the time.. that sounds like very cancer PvP gameplay in the vein of Travian type of games.

Yes on dedicated pvp servers ,exactly like ark, so most people will play pve when they dont have an army of jobless dudes guarding the fortress 24/24.

spectre

Arcane
come on, nigga, even d4 is not THAT bad
We are scraping the bottom of the barrel, aren't we?

I mean, Wolcen has Mixed reviews on Steam and yet, it's more dynamic, visually impressive and has better animations. And it was about $10 on Steam.
Yeah, for one, Wolcel actually has colors, but not a whole lot of pentagrams. Not gonna lie, some backdrops were really impressive, yet still has this generic feel to it.
The devs are obviously big blizz fanboys, cause they copied a lot of everything (even the zerg aesthetic is in there at one point).

Now, I don't really want to shill for the game too much cause it's good for what it is, I also got it on a big sale and it played surprisingly well.
It's not one of those games where you pick it up as a second job, as you plumb the endless depths...and honestly, thank fuck for that.

A lot of the negative reviews, once you read into them, are about the bad release (sorry, you need to be blizzard and +10 years to get off the hook), also lots of bugs in online play.
I've played it offline and there was nothing gamebreaking. Had a waypoint glitch out on me one time (quickly fixed by going back to menu), picking up items sometimes gets buggy,
but most of the time it was jumping skills acting weird in confined areas.

The better animations is debatable. A lot of the skills replace your currently wielded weapon for an appropriate summon (made me chuckle, cause it seems blizz in a way appropriated that
as their barbarian mechanic), but I would agree that they feel just right. They already start feeling decently powerful, and you can diddle with them even further
by switching the damage type and toggling various modifiers, some of which fundamentally change how a skill works.
Lategame, you can even duplicate the same skill on the bar if you want a completely different flavor for it (or want to circumvent cooldowns).
I may be selling it short, but it's what D3's skill system should have been in the first place, and it's much more freeform.

Perkel

Arcane
Wolcen combat itself is amazing, easily one of the best combat feelings in ARPG if not the best. The issue is everything else is just shite. The worst part is that there isn't much content. Campaign is pretty lengthy but outside of that there isn't anything to do not in end game sense because there is endgame but in sense that itemization is shite, there are like 15 unique items total that do anything interesting and there are like handful of skills in classless game.

From what I know game was years delayed until owner threw out old team hired some people on contracts up to release of game. Once game released everyone was let go outside of some small support team. People who took over took like 2 years to patch it to point where you can actually play game without bugs.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Wolcen is fucked up because enemies dont use same skills as players, there's no resist/curse/penetration system etc. Just ailment stack and more ailment = better. So there can't be meaningful synergies.
idk what they thought how on earth simple level scaling hp bloat wouldn't look stupid.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, is it shit?

Lolwtf battle.net still exists? Do I need to dig out my old AOL CD to access this shit over my 28.8k modem?

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Fx-KHX-XsAAA5_w

I bought wolcen a week or two ago and played for like 3 or 4 hours and will never play again. Grim Dawn remains the only game in this genre I have ever enjoyed; maybe I will try Last Epoch when it is released for real and see how it goes. I have 1100 hours in Grim Dawn, UFB...maybe Diablo 2 I have 20..

oh, I yeah I did like Titan Quest, but it got boring before I could finish it..played it maybe 40 hours., POE is terrible, I tried Hades and sort of knew it was going to be shit before I even began playing and refunded it, fucking modernized reddit trash game-play and story, Van Helsing had weird camera angle, and combat was not impactful .........so refunded. I did like Torchlight 2 actually and finished it, but am not interested in Torchlight III.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Still not an RPG
Some people might even argue that Diablo 1 killed the RPG genre.
Not really, it first piracy. People were not buying them, some fantastic companies went down, had they a perfect copy protection they would still be here. Then came the mmos and the few people still buying rpgs went toward those like UO daoc everquest. At last consoles and XBOX 360 bioware games were the final nail on the coffin.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well, finished the mainstory. Surprisingly decent for Blizzard. The level scaling drains any will to continue playing it after finishing the campaign tho'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom