Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Mortmal

Arcane
OK, so given that I'm not a huge ARPG fan, but quite enjoyed PoE (for the buildfaggery) and Grim Dawn (for the imaginative setting and the buildfaggery), is this any good? I quite like the art design of it (it looks quite PoE-ish, amusingly enough).
It feels like diablo 2 , especially the rubber banding like in the time i was using a 56K modem. Gameplay is not revolutionary but is as good as poe or grimdawn. But in 2023, no doubt later they will do even worse, its really peak greed. Every armor you loot look like shit, and the only way i can see so far to get a good looking one is 25 euros, by character type, in the shop. So get that game only if you have nothing else to play and dont care about money.

Lemming42

Arcane
I want to play this but a confluence of factors has made it unviable - ludicrous price tag (even for the "basic" version), not being available on Steam or GoG or other sane platforms, and always-online bullshit.

It's like game developers nowadays actively don't want you to buy their game. It's like running a fucking obstacle course, and your reward is a letdown.

Mortmal

Arcane
I want to play this but a confluence of factors has made it unviable - ludicrous price tag (even for the "basic" version), not being available on Steam or GoG or other sane platforms, and always-online bullshit.

It's like game developers nowadays actively don't want you to buy their game. It's like running a fucking obstacle course, and your reward is a letdown.
Working very well for them , fastest selling blizzard game ever. They know what they are doing and have enough data to know how much they can push the macro transactions.They have no reason to put it on steam, steam is getting a cut of it, GOG is unsignificant. Its famous enough so people will look for it, and its impossible to pirate it.There's nothing else to get atm unlike you have a switch, no competition.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I still think that the D4 announce cinematic is top tier and very Diablo-ish. Don’t have much hopes about the game sadly. Are there any gameplay videos without commentary yet?
Just turn on any stream on twitch and turn off the sound? Or scroll down in the category until you get people with really low viewers, who don't talk much.

Seethe

Arbiter
NGL, D4 looks like a texture pack for D3 from what I've been seeing.
Any truth to my instincts on this?
Gameplay also feels a lot like D3 did. It is basically D3.5
Did Diablo 3 have this "spam weak resource generating ability to blow it all on cooldowns" design? I can't remember. I'm asking because WoW has this disgusting class design right now which destroyed the last shreds of class identity, and I'm not sure if D4 copied D3 or WoW.

PapaPetro

Did Diablo 3 have this "spam weak resource generating ability to blow it all on cooldowns" design? I can't remember. I'm asking because WoW has this disgusting class design right now which destroyed the last shreds of class identity, and I'm not sure if D4 copied D3 or WoW.
If devs were smart, they'd remove cooldowns and replace them with diminished returns with at-will spamming abilities.
Players would have to figure out self-control to not overspam skills e.g. the fireball
decline.png
each time you cast it like it's going out of style.

Last edited by a moderator:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It's often said of capitalism that it kinda works in the sense that it does produce stuff we want, most of the time, and produce it well. And that's true to an extent, but there seems to be a level of development of capitalist institutions where they no longer really work on the profit principle, but start to compete for market share, and/or promote their hobby-horses. Which is natural, really, but should be carefully monitored by a democratically-elected State.

There seems to be a point where capitalist product actually gets more clunky and shoddy instead of more streamlined and shiny. That's been the case a lot with computers in some areas (e.g. the proliferation of office make-work, when we were promised a "paperless office").

In a way, this is both a libertarian argument that they (big capitalists) are not behaving in a properly capitalist manner (they're not maximizing profit, but a kind of dominance hierarchy status that's outside the domain of economic behaviour proper) and a Left-wing argument against corporate greed.

Do we really hate the small businessman, the entrepreneur, the shopkeeper? No, in fact the way capitalism develops in the real world, it seems to shut such people out - i.e. the middle class gets squeezed out, and you have the super-rich and the plebs, with a merely managerial (not entrepreneurial) class inbeetween. As Burns said, "there's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip" and something goes wrong with the capitalist process at some scales and in some conditions. The best thing for capitalism is actually a strong state that rules with a light hand, a state capable of severely punishing capitalist malfeasance, and very willing to do so if necessary, but that leaves capitalist acts between consenting adults free, so long as they're not harmful.

Oh God, am I becoming a libertarian again? :)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
NGL, D4 looks like a texture pack for D3 from what I've been seeing.
Any truth to my instincts on this?
Gameplay also feels a lot like D3 did. It is basically D3.5
Yeah, it's D3 design yet somehow feels worse and with some retarded animations imo.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Me after reading the ending of this game:

1686115625521.png

At this point just feed details into ChatGPT and it'll write something better. Fucking nu-Blizzard.

Obligatory still better than D3.

Last edited:

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game is working much better tonight. I log right in, don't get timed out or stuck in a queue. All those filthy noobs must have gotten filtered.

I'm kind of annoyed that I wasted 90% of my early access time just doing sidequests. Seems kind of pointless in retrospect with the level scaling what it be.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I still think that the D4 announce cinematic is top tier and very Diablo-ish. Don’t have much hopes about the game sadly. Are there any gameplay videos without commentary yet?
yeah, it was good in that sense. same with tavern fight in d2 opening. please, more this, less ANGELDEMONNEPHALEM!!1 shit.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game even has a little Diablo 1 nostalgia moment. Ain't worth spoiler tagging it because they've done it since D2. It's a lame joke at this point. Why keep referencing that game when you clearly have no desire to make anything like it ever again? I just rolled my eyes the whole time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
OK, so given that I'm not a huge ARPG fan, but quite enjoyed PoE (for the buildfaggery) and Grim Dawn (for the imaginative setting and the buildfaggery), is this any good? I quite like the art design of it (it looks quite PoE-ish, amusingly enough).

Just play Lost Ark if you like to try this kind of a game.

I had to look it up as i never heard of this:

EN_LA_SpringUpdate_ArtOfWar_740x416_CT-001574.jpg

:hmmm:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
My coworkers are bothering me to get this, so I looked it up. 70 euro for the cheap version on pc. Already talking about battlepasses and shit. HAHAHAHAHAHA nope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom