Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is not. D3 has more classes, less buggy, more itemization, stable servers and you can probably get it cheaper with all expansions. Gameplay is very similar and story is slightly better in D4. Only thing direcly superior in D4 is less colors
D4 is a new game to experiment with and figure out, however long that lasts.

(Servers are the same, why even bring that up. D4 launch was a lot better from that point of view.)
So you are saying Blizzard at least learned one lesson in 10 years?
Also they were still shit at non early realse from what SDG whined about.
It is not. D3 has more classes, less buggy, more itemization, stable servers and you can probably get it cheaper with all expansions. Gameplay is very similar and story is slightly better in D4. Only thing direcly superior in D4 is less colors
D3 is 13 years old you fucking mongoloid. D4 is 1 week old.
That is not a argument in your favor.

spectre

Arcane
so how bad is this and did they ape path of exile
The paragon board unlocked at level 50 is basically PoE skill tree, even has a little bit of gem levelling sprinkled in.
I think the dodge charges system is largely lifted from Wolcen (but also expanded on), but Wolcel is heavily inspired by D3, so it gets a bit fuzzy.
The rest feels like an honest attempt to unfuck D3.

You will see plenty of PoE inspired stuff on the map. In the swamp region you get a settlement called Exile's Heap, the entire coastline is riddled with wrecks
which are highly reminiscent of Ship's Graveyard and I'm pretty positive that the background theme in the druid stronghold was at least inspired by the PoE track.

It's not as bad, as long as you set your expectations correct. If you're looking for PoE-like depth... just go play PoE if you still can stomach it.
As far as I am concerned, the worst two thing is the main story (beat it once to unlock everything, especially the horse is a lifesaver,
then always skip for all new characters, the game clicked well into place once I did) and enemy variety isn't great. They overlap a lot in most regions
and very few of them stand out.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Regardless of how "good" it is, it's still an always online cash shop platform. This means buying it and thus becoming part of the problem of modern gaming.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
He's full of poop. It is better than D3 in every way, except for the level scaling which is indeed asshole cancer.
D3 had level scaling.

Not at launch. It was added with the adventure mode later. D3 was better designed game before Jay Wilson left and retarded stuff like level scaling, billions of damage, toughness, smart loot etc. were later introduced.

abija

Prophet
Nope, no concept of enemy level. Their number of affixes was based on your level for example.
Feel free to provide a list of level ranges for the 3 campaigns per zone, maybe I'm wrong. In inferno they were split symbolically by acts 61, 62, 63.

spectre

Arcane
Regardless of how "good" it is, it's still an always online cash shop platform. This means buying it and thus becoming part of the problem of modern gaming.
For one thing, it's definitely overpriced and I admit I hesitated.
Could this money be better spent elsewhere? Probably. But I've already played everything else that's worthwhile in the genre.

Cash shop is just cosmetics, same as with PoE, I have no problem buying exactly nothing from the cash shop.
If anything, PoE shop was much more in your face with daily deals being displayed on login page.
It's not even that intrusive in D4. And generally speaking it's nowhere near the cancer that D3 auction house was.
If you're looking for something to bitch about, this one isn't it (but there are a few, I'll see if I make time to write something closer to a review).

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
For one thing, it's definitely overpriced and I admit I hesitated.
Could this money be better spent elsewhere? Probably. But I've already played everything else that's worthwhile in the genre.

Cash shop is just cosmetics, same as with PoE, I have no problem buying exactly nothing from the cash shop.
If anything, PoE shop was much more in your face with daily deals being displayed on login page.
It's not even that intrusive in D4. And generally speaking it's nowhere near the cancer that D3 auction house was.
If you're looking for something to bitch about, this one isn't it (but there are a few, I'll see if I make time to write something closer to a review).
"It's just the way it is."

abija

Prophet

I seriously doubt that when the battle pass launches it won't be in your face. And as with pretty much any product like this, if sales are good integrity and initial promises will be kept. If not, actual dev time will be moved to more promising prospects and milking will be pushed to max, at any cost.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What's worse to the gaming community: wokism or level scaling?
Codex and "the gaming community" are so different. Things that are bad to "the gaming community" are probably not enough achievements and not enough inklusifity for transes and grils. I actually googled what reddit dislikes about gaming and they said they hate being constantly told to stop preordering things, and hate all the complaining about bugs and minor issues.

Haven't read all the whining the last few pages cause I was too busy playing the game. Now, once you put aside the fact that Diablo-type games are inherently limited (hacking and slashing gets boring after a while), Diablo IV is quite gud.

It's much more interesting mechanically than Diablo 2, and much better aesthetically (atmosphere, writing, graphics, physics, animations, art design) than Path of Exile. The difficulty curve is also good, not too easy (like PoE on normal difficulty), not too crazy difficult until you get into later world tiers and challenges.

spectre

Arcane
I seriously doubt that when the battle pass launches it won't be in your face. And as with pretty much any product like this, if sales are good integrity and initial promises will be kept. If not, actual dev time will be moved to more promising prospects and milking will be pushed to max, at any cost.
It might. As for now it isn't.
Since it isn't an early access game, I don't care for ifs and whens. If it gets obnoxious, I'll get vocal and probably stop playing by then. I'm not married to the game.
And it's not like they can make me spend money.

nigga, codex is as popamole as it gets. more pipo played d4 than kotc2 here.
Dunno what's everyone else's excuse, but I tried playing rpgs post 2000 and my conclusion to date is I don't seem to like rpgs.
And yep, Diablo never was one as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
JnJGqht.jpg

Well, I mean come on! Really?

Modron

Arcane
You wouldn't just go online and slander the codex's reputation in the description of your guild in casual popular game number 452457 would you?

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom