Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Perkel

Arcane
If you only compare the campaigns of the two games together, the visual clarity won't be different. PoE starts suffering in that department once your build approaches clearspeed in the screens-per-second realm

Dude even if you play with 8 necros in D2 you still have more visual clarity than in POE without playing any necro. Simply put monster pack sizes are in completely different galaxy let alone place.

POE over the years completely ignored any tactics and design and just are shatting out more and more monsters packs because clearly 1click tower running whales love it. So if whales love it then chinese who owns them love it.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Except PoE just did a big overhaul of the rare monsters which requires you to make split second decisions multiple times per map when you encounter them. What tactical combat depth do D2/D3/D4 boast?

Besides, almost everybody who plays PoE loves pack size and clear speed. You're the one weirdo that doesn't. You also suck at PoE and have very limited insight into what actual tactical decisions in PoE are.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Hey man, you got yourself a brand new title coming that will take you by the hand and ensure that you're never ever in a difficult situation by employing level scaling. No need to hate on PoE.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Now Diablo 4 [...] in terms of aesthetics and flow of combat etc., its fucking top notch.

Thats the only thing it has

those are the hardest things to nail down + among the most important (in terms of production standard for this type of game)

but I cant play a game where attributes are reduced to offence and defence, its even more dumbed down than D3

Sunri

Liturgist
Hey man, you got yourself a brand new title coming that will take you by the hand and ensure that you're never ever in a difficult situation by employing level scaling. No need to hate on PoE.
I'm not a hater, I played POE for a long time, I just don't feel the direction the game went not mentioning shitty performance, so I hope that the D4 will do good and motivate Wilson to do something about POE flaws.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
The only thing D4 might motivate GGG to do is to rush PoE 2 for a 2023 launch. From the looks of it so far, D4 doesn't seem even remotely interested in competing with PoE in the long term. It's gonna be a D3 situation all over again.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here

ADL

Cipher
Level scaling is great for games like this as evidenced by games like Guild Wars and The Elder Scrolls Online. I don't want to spend my entire endgame experience doing 200,000 Baal runs. There's plenty of content in the game. Let me chill in the zones I enjoy and give me creative reasons to go back to ones I left 50+ hours ago. Not to mention vertical progression tends to invalidate its own endgame systems by raising levels for the sake of room temperature subhumans going "wow my number went up!".

It's so fucking stupid. Vertical progression is bad game design that doesn't respect your time or the developer's time themselves.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
and give me creative reasons to go back to ones I left 50+ hours ago.
Maybe GW1 did that, but do you in all earnest expect current year Blizzard to have the creativity necessary to do that?

Not to mention vertical progression tends to invalidate its own endgame systems by raising levels for the sake of room temperature subhumans going "wow my number went up!".

It's so fucking stupid. Vertical progression is bad game design that doesn't respect your time or the developer's time themselves.
That's literally the core principle of any ARPG. Both D3 and D:Immoral rely on this to the extreme. Why do you expect D4 or any ARPG ever to be different?

Hey since you're a POE guy lemme ax you this question while I got ya here:

Why do you POEsers gotta come into every damn Diablo topic and feel this need to remind the world that POE exists? And I'm not talking about just Codex but everywhere. You can't mention Diablo before soon some cocksucka comes in to tell you about Path of Exile. You fuckers are like Jehovah's Witnesses or this dumb bitch that calls my phone every two days for duct cleaning. Let me tell you it from my perspective: I know POE exists, I've tried it multiple times, and each time it results in me concluding the game is boring and sucks and I'd rather play D2 because it's a cooler game.

Look at what you're getting zealous over: boss fights in a point and click looter lmao. Nigga, if I'm gonna want super engaging and mechanic heavy boss fights I'm not expecting it in this genre. All ya linked were some corny ass Dance Dance Revolution fights that nobody even cites or remembers or praises. A big ass demon with a meat cleaver going "AHH FRESH MEAT" from the mid 90s dabs all over every single POE boss in terms of memorability. Hold that L close to your chest.

abija

Prophet
Because Diablo started the subgenre and PoE is the current uncontested king. Every game in the genre gets to be compared with it. Sure beats reading random ramblings from (apparently senile) nostalgia fags.

You know what I think it is? I think it's that POEqueers have such insanely small dicks that they need to stand on their tippy toes whenever they're around D1/D2chads who naturally tower over them and find their Mickey Mouse firework show amusing for a few minutes before going back to killing Mephisto.

Peachcurl

Cipher
This is the D4 thread. Not that D1/D2 thread.

Lim-Dûl

Educated
Let me see quality in PoE
Uber Atziri(starts after 5:40)

Uber Elder

Uber Searing Exarch

Bosses in these games, including Diablo bosses, are so boring that it would be better for the games if they were removed altogether in their current incarnations. The only ones that should remain are concise gimmick bosses that complement their areas' themes and die quickly. "Uber" bosses with extremely inflated stats are especially lame. What do you remember about bosses in D1, D2, Path of Exile, etc., that was interesting other than edgy one-liners? All of them are perfunctory additions that are only there because having bosses for each level was the norm.

Top Bottom