Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Peachcurl

Cipher
Lootboxes, $480 supporter packs, $80+ armor cosmetics, league mechanics that were designed purely to sell stash tabs. It amazes me that they get away with it because free2play and the whole "just don't buy it bro it's just cosmetic" when the stash tabs alone end up costing you more than their competitors at retail with expansions.

This set alone costs 3090 points ($309). Checked my math twice on that one. It's right.
https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase
S32XFpr.png

such a shame they don't sell jpegs, huh?

ADL

Prophet
such a shame they don't sell jpegs, huh?
This is a $350 ship that you'll earn in game by playing for a couple weeks casually in Star Citizen.

This is the majority of a $309 set of MTX in Path of Exile that you have to swipe your credit card to get.

If defending a $309 set of MTX that look like shit and you probably won't see under all the skill spam anyways is the hill you wanna die on, go for it.

somerandomdude

Learned
Lootboxes, $480 supporter packs, $80+ armor cosmetics, league mechanics that were designed purely to sell stash tabs. It amazes me that they get away with it because free2play and the whole "just don't buy it bro it's just cosmetic" when the stash tabs alone end up costing you more than their competitors at retail with expansions.

This set alone costs 3090 points ($309). Checked my math twice on that one. It's right.
https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase
S32XFpr.png
The loot boxes are for cosmetics only. Stuff you don't actually need, as it doesn't have any impact on your character's performance. A lot of the cosmetics look gay anyway (like those harmony wings), I wouldn't use them even if they were free. Stash tabs, I agree is a pay to win mechanic, but they're relatively cheap. I spent $40 or $60 on stash tabs, and had more than enough. 10 or 15 tabs and 1 currency tab is plenty, and it's permanent and applies to every league. Considering I put a bunch of hours into that game, I didn't have a problem giving them $60.

When a league ends and you go to standard, you get overflow/temporary tabs, you can remove items from, but can't place anything into. Just consolidate your items, scrap any junk, or let it sit if you don't have an immediate use for it and it won't go anywhere. I usually started converting gear and loot I wouldn't have had a use for in standard into currency sometime during the last half of a league, that way I had less junk, and more currency.

I'd rather just pay GGG $60 and get the full game, everything included the same as everyone else would, but it's the literal best ARPG game out right now, and I feel like they're at least reasonable about it, unlike Blizzard with Diablo Immortal.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Immortal is the type of game I would only play if I was extremely rich, and even then there would only be very specific situations where I would mess around with it. Like if I was chatting with a poor person or somebody just strapped for cash, I would whip the game out and buy a few thousand dollars worth of loot boxes and show them the sick gear I got. Then I would put the game away and leave.

SumDrunkGuy

Immortal ain't bad man...

I've played a good deal of mobile games, and this is the first ARPG that even approaches anything that a proper PC or console experience offers.

Elder Scrolls Blades for instance is a single hub (town) that starts off demolished but then you can upgrade with about 3 beneficial plots (blacksmith, alchemist, enchanter).

The rest you can rebuild with homes/buildings that cost in-game gold but do absolutely nothing for the player except level up your town's experience points.

All dungeons/zones are limited to about 5 tile sets that look identical to one another, and so do most of the mobs.

The NPC arena events are over in about 5 seconds, and the PVP from what I remember, is over in about 5 seconds too and they pair you up with other players 50 levels out of your range.

IMO, the best games on mobile platforms are escape games or point and click adventure games, like the Forgotten Hill series and Life Gallery.

Some PC ports are excellent on mobile too, such as The Banner Saga (1 & 2... 3 isn't available for mobile).

Older games such as Sanitarium, and the Infinity Engine games are available for mobile, but they're semi unplayable due to everything being microscopic including the UI (the Infinity Engine games are recommended for no screen size smaller than a tablet).

Yeah but it's literally just dumbed down Diablo 3 and pay to win. And it has the same exact artstyle as Diablo 3.

Immortal is the type of game I would only play if I was extremely rich, and even then there would only be very specific situations where I would mess around with it. Like if I was chatting with a poor person or somebody just strapped for cash, I would whip the game out and buy a few thousand dollars worth of loot boxes and show them the sick gear I got. Then I would put the game away and leave.

I always set all my games to hardest difficulty, or right below hardest if available, so I consider it a challenge to play P2W games without spending a single cent IRL.

(Already blew several hundred dollars on digital WoW gold years ago and learned my lesson back then not to do that)

In fact, I've never actually encountered any game that I've had to "pay to win," I just lookup the right character build guide and go from there.

I mean there's people that can solo BGII start to finish on hardest difficulty, dunno how the fuck that is possible.

So far, I'm level 20 in Diablo Immortal, have collected all the free digital shit they give to you (Elder Scrolls: Blades gives you a free daily gift), and just soloed a dungeon.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
If the game/money extraction software seems like shit, one should not spend money on it. As soon as you open your wallet for "teh memez" you have already lost and contributed directly to cultural degradation.

abija

Prophet
Wow, someone unironically complaining about PoE monetization and even saying is worse than SC...
Even worse someone going: Not surprised. "Free" games are bullshit. after, believing the retard. PoE is an actual free game with more content than many AAA priced games.

Bonus points for retards like ADL: there's about 0 chance D4 won't have on top similar monetization as PoE.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, someone unironically complaining about PoE monetization and even saying is worse than SC...
Even worse someone going: Not surprised. "Free" games are bullshit. after, believing the retard. PoE is an actual free game with more content than many AAA priced games.

Bonus points for retards like ADL: there's about 0 chance D4 won't have on top similar monetization as PoE.
No, dipshit. Monetization schemes like that are bullshit in my mind, especially when you consider that in any game prior to Oblivion's fucking horse armour bullshit, "cosmetics" were part of the game you bought. But yeah, my phrasing was super lazy and implies that POE is P2W when he was discussing cosmetics.

Besides, POE looks like a retard aggregator and your commentary seems to prove that.

abija

Prophet
I didn't blame you there actually. Just pointing out how much dmg retarded shit like ADL posted actually causes. With the current market it's very easy to believe a game is predatory.

But everything is in the details. Cosmetics are priced the way they are for PoE because they need to compensate for the game being free and getting meaningful content several times per year.
We get mental gymnastics about how buying power is fine if you can get the same playing some game for 10000+ hours meanwhile this retard is throwing stones at an actual free game with cosmetics. And he made it seem worse than SC which is ...

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didn't blame you there actually. Just pointing out how much dmg retarded shit like ADL posted actually causes. With the current market it's very easy to believe a game is predatory.

But everything is in the details. Cosmetics are priced the way they are for PoE because they need to compensate for the game being free and getting meaningful content several times per year.
We get mental gymnastics about how buying power is fine if you can get the same playing some game for 10000+ hours meanwhile this retard is throwing stones at an actual free game with cosmetics. And he made it seem worse than SC which is ...
Yeah I hear you. Fair enough.

I don't mind having an actually F2P game that has legitimately only cosmetics for sale. It gets blurry when you consider quality of life things like bank slots, bags, or whatever. But then, as long as it's up front, people can do whatever they're comfortable with. All in all though, I do think all of these sorts of monetization scheme are decline that only benefits shareholders and will likely crater a significant portion, if not the entire, hobby at some point.

Either way, I think Diablo Immortal's predatory practices are primarily there because of the stuff going on in phone games in general and because Star Citizen showed everyone that the sky's the limit for grift. I mean, you have to have some insane level of balls to straight facedly sell someone a $40,000 pack of ships for a "game" that doesn't exist and probably never will.

Suicidal

Arcane
Diablo Immortal was the greatest contribution modern day Blizzard have made to gaming. The game was apparently so scummy and terrible that it pushed several EU countries into creating stricter regulations for mobile p2w dogshit and lootboxes, which will MAYBE make all the "gaming" companies who no longer care about games and only want to make a quick buck off retards leave the market all together and go into NFTs or whatever other bullshit that's hot right now.

Meanwhile, Diablo IV is just gonna be a run of the mill cookie clicker ARPG with typical modern Blizzard design where you make no choices and the game basically plays itself for you, complete with amazing stories and lore about super sayan space wizard demons written by Timmy, the 12-year old son of Blizzard's diversity counselor.

So Diablo Immortal > Diablo IV. Alas, but it's a fact.

abija

Prophet
Either way, I think Diablo Immortal's predatory practices are primarily there because of the stuff going on in phone games in general and because Star Citizen showed everyone that the sky's the limit for grift. I mean, you have to have some insane level of balls to straight facedly sell someone a $40,000 pack of ships for a "game" that doesn't exist and probably never will.
The absolute danger with DI is that it showed blizzard the absurd amount of money they can do with minimal effort just based on their previous work and a new audience primed with shitty games and predatory practices. Cherry on top, apparently a large amount of their fanbase joined in cause idk... buying blizzard games and throwing money at the company has become part of their identity.

Btw, all those regulations are just to remind them they stepped into a business that requires more bribes.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The absolute danger with DI is that it showed blizzard the absurd amount of money they can do with minimal effort just based on their previous work and a new audience primed with shitty games and predatory practices. Cherry on top, apparently a large amount of their fanbase joined in cause idk... buying blizzard games and throwing money at the company has become part of their identity.

Btw, all those regulations are just to remind them they stepped into a business that requires more bribes.

I have to think there's a diminishing return here.. But then again.. Blizzard Fanbois are fucking retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom