Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nox later got a very good mp PvE mode too.

Man, fuck this shit. Old games got such basic but fun multi modes. (Nox, Rune, VMR, Kabuto...) Nowadays, even with all that multiplayer focused, "live service" games we got loads of shit...

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

ArchAngel

Arcane
The one thing I'll really applaud Diablo 4 for is it seems no matter how much is going on, it retains visual clarity.
Versus
A3iKX93.jpeg
True but also lets talk again about visual clarity in D4 when you're doing the World Boss with a Necro in your party.

If you only compare the campaigns of the two games together, the visual clarity won't be different. PoE starts suffering in that department once your build approaches clearspeed in the screens-per-second realm and stacking multiple league mechanics on top of each other. Does D4 even have league mechanics? It's easy to keep visual clarity when you have literally nothing going on in the game mechanically except right-clicking monsters.
You don't need to do bosses or having Necro in Party. Most of the league mechanics are cancer on the eye and the screen.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This has nothing to do with what is being discussed. We're talking about UI. Diablo 2 had a very basic intuitive UI. PoE's UI is a trainwreck to put it mildly. It's the opposite of intuitive and the people who sing it praises are fucked in the head. I want to slap each and every one of the retards who worship that turd.

It's easy to have an intuitive UI for basic things. There are plenty of failures in PoE UI, but the tree is not one of them, quite the opposite. It's easy to navigate/find stuff/do required actions.
Yea it is so easy there are like 500 tools that let you plan your builds using that tree.. and none are from developers themselves LOL

J1M

Arcane
Would be nice if journos/streamers grew some balls and refused to discuss/publish Diablo 4 information until Blizzard was explicit about the monetization plans. None of the other details matter. Sad state of the industry.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Would be nice if journos/streamers grew some balls and refused to discuss/publish Diablo 4 information until Blizzard was explicit about the monetization plans. None of the other details matter. Sad state of the industry.
Get Andrew Callaghan on the case!

One thing I liked better about D1 was that skills improved with skill books. Playing to fully develop my characters skills/spells is a far stronger incentive to me than trying to find one or two specific items I only know about through metaknowledge of the internet.

I played with a buddy for awhile to where we nearly maxed out character levels, but we still never teleported to specific mobs in D2. We just played the game for the fin of it, accepting what drops came and trading accordingly. It may be weird to read this, but loot drop dopamine chasing wasn't part of my Diablo experience.

Sykar

Arcane
One thing I liked better about D1 was that skills improved with skill books. Playing to fully develop my characters skills/spells is a far stronger incentive to me than trying to find one or two specific items I only know about through metaknowledge of the internet.

I played with a buddy for awhile to where we nearly maxed out character levels, but we still never teleported to specific mobs in D2. We just played the game for the fin of it, accepting what drops came and trading accordingly. It may be weird to read this, but loot drop dopamine chasing wasn't part of my Diablo experience.
That excessive loot chasing and uneccessary gear optimization reminds me of the WoW Southpark episode:
giphy.gif

Generic-Giant-Spider

I liked the shrines in D1 as well, especially since they weren't all "good" and things you hit for random buffs for a minute or two. There was one that would make everyone in the same game as you gain +1 to a random attribute but be -1 in others.

It also experimented with the idea of cursed items which are always fun. They should have continued with that idea as a trade off when introducing more powerful gear.

Lhynn

Arcane
I liked the shrines in D1 as well, especially since they weren't all "good" and things you hit for random buffs for a minute or two. There was one that would make everyone in the same game as you gain +1 to a random attribute but be -1 in others.

It also experimented with the idea of cursed items which are always fun. They should have continued with that idea as a trade off when introducing more powerful gear.
The shrines were badly designed, sadly. You see, you could never get anything from them that you couldnt get otherwise, but if you got a bad one, those negatives were permanent and impossible to remove.

Was never a good idea to use one.

Zlaja

Arcane
This makes me want to install Diablo 1. To my great shame I must admit that I never finished it
Immediately leave the codex and don't come back until you've finished it.

1440p max settings, no bloom, blur, dof ( bonus with the white mob having 1,2 billion HP ) :
And a single gold pile containing 37k gold. :lol:

Besides, almost everybody who plays PoE loves pack size and clear speed
Except those of us who quit playing the game over the years, because of those things.

I don't think people remember how d2 gameplay looks like.

Teleport should've had a % chance to damage the player or some relevant penalty like that.

Teleport skill shouldn't have even been included in D2 & D1, imo.

Arbiter

Scholar

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just recently started playing Sacred 2 again and I am enjoying it a lot. As only other good open world arpg out there it shows how Diablo 4 can be awesome if done well as open world arpg.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I just recently started playing Sacred 2 again and I am enjoying it a lot. As only other good open world arpg out there it shows how Diablo 4 can be awesome if done well as open world arpg.

Which is better: Sacred 1 or 2?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Which is better: Sacred 1 or 2?
I never played Sacred 1 so I cannot answer that but Sacred 2 is pretty cool. Open World, tons of quests, interesting character build system based on Diablo 1 (you need to find your skills in the wild and read them to level them up). World is huge and each class starts in different part of that world and has different quests AND you can choose at start to play a Light or Dark campaign AND you can just play Free Roam if you want to. Oh and horseback riding and combat from horses if you decide to specialize into that.
And from what google shows me Sacred 1 has Diablo 2 graphics while Sacred 2 looks much nicer. It even looks kind of good today.

Because Diablo started the subgenre and PoE is the current uncontested king. Every game in the genre gets to be compared with it. Sure beats reading random ramblings from (apparently senile) nostalgia fags.
I puked in my mouth reading this. I would take Diablo 3 over PoE like any day.

Dunno about Diablo III because I never played it and never will because of the WoW-clone artstyle, but I'm playing POE right now for the first time and it's absolute shit compared to Diablo II LOD.

There is absolutely no discernable story in POE, nor is there any consistent design philosophy so I find it very difficult to implement my own story roleplaying wise using the preexisting lore.

Titan Quest in comparison also lacks a story, but given the Greco visual design and main quest to defeat Titans, I was able to mentally visualize somewhat of a plot given my vague understanding of that time period.

Between POE and Diablo II Resurrected, I would totally recommend the latter to new players who haven't played either game yet.

Last edited:
Getting more and more pumped for D4 to come out after watching all the single-player campaign footage.

THIS is what Diablo III should have been; glad Blizzard decided to ditch the WoW-inspired visuals and go for a much more gritty, dark, and ominous artstyle consistent with a game about battling the forces of hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom