Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Arbiter

Learned

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sad Loser
I just recently started playing Sacred 2 again and I am enjoying it a lot. As only other good open world arpg out there it shows how Diablo 4 can be awesome if done well as open world arpg.

Diablo1_reborn

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sad Loser
I just recently started playing Sacred 2 again and I am enjoying it a lot. As only other good open world arpg out there it shows how Diablo 4 can be awesome if done well as open world arpg.

Which is better: Sacred 1 or 2?
I never played Sacred 1 so I cannot answer that but Sacred 2 is pretty cool. Open World, tons of quests, interesting character build system based on Diablo 1 (you need to find your skills in the wild and read them to level them up). World is huge and each class starts in different part of that world and has different quests AND you can choose at start to play a Light or Dark campaign AND you can just play Free Roam if you want to. Oh and horseback riding and combat from horses if you decide to specialize into that.
And from what google shows me Sacred 1 has Diablo 2 graphics while Sacred 2 looks much nicer. It even looks kind of good today.

Because Diablo started the subgenre and PoE is the current uncontested king. Every game in the genre gets to be compared with it. Sure beats reading random ramblings from (apparently senile) nostalgia fags.
I puked in my mouth reading this. I would take Diablo 3 over PoE like any day.

Dunno about Diablo III because I never played it and never will because of the WoW-clone artstyle, but I'm playing POE right now for the first time and it's absolute shit compared to Diablo II LOD.

There is absolutely no discernable story in POE, nor is there any consistent design philosophy so I find it very difficult to implement my own story roleplaying wise using the preexisting lore.

Titan Quest in comparison also lacks a story, but given the Greco visual design and main quest to defeat Titans, I was able to mentally visualize somewhat of a plot given my vague understanding of that time period.

Between POE and Diablo II Resurrected, I would totally recommend the latter to new players who haven't played either game yet.

Last edited:
Getting more and more pumped for D4 to come out after watching all the single-player campaign footage.

THIS is what Diablo III should have been; glad Blizzard decided to ditch the WoW-inspired visuals and go for a much more gritty, dark, and ominous artstyle consistent with a game about battling the forces of hell.

Lim-Dûl

Educated
Getting more and more pumped for D4 to come out after watching all the single-player campaign footage.

THIS is what Diablo III should have been; glad Blizzard decided to ditch the WoW-inspired visuals and go for a much more gritty, dark, and ominous artstyle consistent with a game about battling the forces of hell.
The spell effects seem very WoW inspired. The animations are floaty like WoW. Itemization looks like shit.

The spell effects seem very WoW inspired. The animations are floaty like WoW. Itemization looks like shit.

I didn't pickup on WoW-ish spell effects or animations.

The oversized, bulging bosses remind me of Diablo III, thus they're WoW-like, but that's it.

Skill tree with a literal tree graphic looks badass.

Because the Diablo franchise is in fact the prototype for all ARPG's, the story and gameplay are expectedly paper thin, with an overemphasis placed on visuals and atmosphere befitting an isometric horror dungeon crawler.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How a mage become better at casting fireballs :
  • Diablo 1 = Reading tomes
  • Diablo 2 = Investing skill points
  • Diablo 3 = Finding an bigger and sharper axe
  • Diablo Immortal = Lootbox for gems
  • Diablo 4 = ???

Totally unrelated, but imagine if Blizzard decided to go for a Diablo-inspired artstyle for World of Warcraft 2.

That would totally fuck the entire game, LOL.

On the contrary, Diablo Immortal retains the visual design philosophy of Diablo III, and it works because it's a mobile game and those style of graphics are what works best for low-specced systems like smartphones.

Also glad D4 didn't include the enemy outlining feature, it may have worked in Diablo III, but it turns POE into a muddy mess.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Arcane
Shitposter

Dunno about Diablo III because I never played it and never will because of the WoW-clone artstyle, but I'm playing POE right now for the first time and it's absolute shit compared to Diablo II LOD.

There is absolutely no discernable story in POE, nor is there any consistent design philosophy so I find it very difficult to implement my own story roleplaying wise using the preexisting lore.

Titan Quest in comparison also lacks a story, but given the Greco visual design and main quest to defeat Titans, I was able to mentally visualize somewhat of a plot given my vague understanding of that time period.

Between POE and Diablo II Resurrected, I would totally recommend the latter to new players who haven't played either game yet.
Diablo 3 can be a good time if you're playing with friends. It's not a terrible game by any means. People just shit on it because it's the sequel to Diablo 2 and that's reasonable.

Lim-Dûl

Educated

The oversized, bulging bosses remind me of Diablo III, thus they're WoW-like, but that's it.

Because the Diablo franchise is in fact the prototype for all ARPG's, the story and gameplay are expectedly paper thin, with an overemphasis placed on visuals and atmosphere befitting an isometric horror dungeon crawler.
D2 has deep mechanics for what it is. The story is perfunctory.

Lim-Dûl

Educated
This thread demonstrates the thinking process of the cuck and how he consciously perpetuates his self-destructive spiral into advanced cuckoldry.

Nah, no way...

The Diablo II LOD story as revealed through cutscenes sets it apart from every other ARPG of its kind; watching the Resurrected CGI cutscenes on YouTube is badass.

I just finished playing about an hour of Diablo Immortal, and believe me when I tell you it's a way funner game than POE because of the underlying lore, bosses, and cutscenes (still images in this case).

The only way to discover lore in POE is to listen to the badly voiced NPC dialogue that's totally unintuitive.

I guess you could claim that Diablo II LOD had advanced mechanics for an ARPG of its time, but IMO, its simple skill trees, levelling, and itemization is fairly easy to understand, but still robust enough that its not dumbed down or too boring to be engaging.

Diablo 3 can be a good time if you're playing with friends. It's not a terrible game by any means. People just shit on it because it's the sequel to Diablo 2 and that's reasonable.

You play Immortal yet?

Gandalf

Savant
Which is better: Sacred 1 or 2?
They're pretty much the same, a diablo clones set in a big world with a lot of quests and multiple ways to have fun. I like the 1 one better, it feels more natural, more medieval, believable, has a nice athmosphere and combat. Second one has this magical feeling I got from Titan Quest but better and it's a good feeling, more like a teenager fairy tale than the first one, I remember shooting some pirates with an energy pistol and summoning some lava-a$$ demon helper or something like that.

Diablo1_reborn

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

I just finished playing about an hour of Diablo Immortal, and believe me when I tell you it's a way funner game than POE because of the underlying lore, bosses, and cutscenes (still images in this case).

What exactly is stopping you from playing Diablo 3 now?

Top Bottom