Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How is Diablo or Resident Evil a horror? What the fuck? What is your favorite movie horror? John Wick? Terminator? Matrix?
Diablo and the action RE games are horror-themed, at least. Although, I have never, ever heard someone put Diablo into the same category as the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill games.
Diablo 1 could absolutely be argued as a survival horror game. Dont get me started

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I just like turn-based more than rtwp and rtwp more than action because that's how controlling a party both work the best to the worst and feels the most to the least like translation from PnP to computer games. My favourite systems copy either Wizardry or Pools of Radiance, nothing else did it better.

I loved Sweet Home by the way, the stat system is as simple as it can get but the dungeon of this game is excellent. Stygian is actually not that bad either, with interesting Fallout-ish exploration and I had fun playing the traditional crawler Laplace No Ma too, I like how this game is balanced especially. Other relevant horror RPGs I've played are probably either mundane JRPGs (Koudelka ...) or small indie surreal/horror things inspired by Earthbound.

Note that some classic cRPGs contain some excellent horror parts, the ship with brain eaters in Buck Rogers : Countdown to Doomsday is an excellent horror-themed dungeon, and many D&D games from the same period contain some great undead-based dungeons or floors.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
but seriously saying you haven’t played BG1/2 and if you did they’d be as shit as Fallout 1/2 AND that diablo is better than any of these games, you have to be pretty retarded.

Diablo is a loot game that works the same a gacha game might work, dopamine trigger through random loot. There’s no story, no sophistication, it’s just a fucking skinner box.
You gotta look at it from my perspective. I'm a diehard horror genre fan and Diablo 1 nailed it perfectly. Like that, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill were the masters of that shit at the time.

I've had small interest in Fallout because I was watching Mad Max long before it. BG shit I can't explain.
How is Diablo or Resident Evil a horror? What the fuck? What is your favorite movie horror? John Wick? Terminator? Matrix? What about books? Lolita? Memoirs of a Geisha?
Actually Terminator 1 IS sort of a horror/SF movie with action elements. One that had the goal the scare viewers at the time. But only the first one in the series is one. People look at it now from the perspective of 40(sic!) years and good knowledge of the concepts like murdering machines from the future, of Arnold S. as actor and of a ton of shitty straight-action/SF sequels. Those sequels were good action movies (part 2), mediocre action movies (3) and WTF action movies (4), I stopped watching at 4. But they were all action/SF movies. The series simply changed genres after the 1st movie - to some degree. Somewhat similar to Alien although the latter was of curse more clearly a horror. The first one in the Terminator series however had strong horror vibes at the time. Hell it was, back then even scary for some - at least as much as any horror can be scary. But isn't anymore. Older movies sometimes have their reception changed so much that they change genres in the eyes of the viewers a generations later. Horror genre is especially susceptible to this.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just like turn-based more than rtwp
That's fair. Liking rtwp more than anything is the type of thing that sends you to the lakes of roasting piss though, friend. Nothing ever good came from rtwp.

I'm done at this point. I drank enough to kill an elephant. I'm no longer engaging in discussions. Just know i was always correct

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Diablo is a braindraining, addicting waste of time.

Much like alcohol. No wonder you like it.
I disagree. One of those two can be beneficial in reasonable quantities. Anyone can guess which one.

Also the original first Diablo game wasn't really based on addiction causing principles, random loot alone is not enough to achieve it. Thousands of game have random loot and they are not even close to D2 and its clones when it comes to being addictive. It was the second Diablo game that adopted the mechanics used to cause dopamine rushes to the player knowingly and successfully. And it was an addictive waste of time as you say. Unless you were using it to make money. I know personally someone who seriously benefited from D2. That was however was one person in many thousands. And unfortunately, not me.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I'd say Diablos (and MMOs alike) are to gaming as drinking wine and eating junk food for dinners are to nutrition.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You gotta look at it from my perspective
Screenshot_20230701-152915-01.jpeg

Harthwain

Magister
Diablo 1 could absolutely be argued as a survival horror game. Dont get me started
Diablo 1 has horror tone and aesthetic, which create a great atmosphere. This much I agree with. But calling it survival is plain wrong. It has no crafting whatsoever and no real resource management to speak of. It's much closer to roguelikes as a category.

It is also the best Diablo in my opinion. Diablo 2 lost the atmosphere, but environments, the number of classes and itemization was enough to carry it. Diablo 3 was even worse than Diablo 2 (including item drops, the biggest strong point of Diablo 2) and not really worth the time. Diablo 4 I won't ever bother checking out, because fuck Activision-Blizzard and I don't believe in them being able to pull something good after Diablo 3.

Cat Dude

Savant
wtf? RWTP loving homos? Actually turn based is Codex's first choice of gameplay for the best rpg experience

Nelka

Educated
Americans can't handle alcohol. Stick to low-alcohol beers, I heard you can get Budlight literally for free now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom