Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Yosharian

Arcane
I guess it's a lot to expect the same level of quality as POE's best season mechanics, in the first season of D4, but I guess I expected something more than this..

I don't play a lot of POE but I played during that season where they added the machine spawns in random places throughout the game where you activated it and it sprouted mechanical nodes and you had to kill spawning monsters...whatever I'm not describing it well but POE players know the one I'm talking about, it really made the game more fun to have those dotted around the game world

Zeriel

Arcane
I guess it's a lot to expect the same level of quality as POE's best season mechanics, in the first season of D4, but I guess I expected something more than this..

I don't play a lot of POE but I played during that season where they added the machine spawns in random places throughout the game where you activated it and it sprouted mechanical nodes and you had to kill spawning monsters...whatever I'm not describing it well but POE players know the one I'm talking about, it really made the game more fun to have those dotted around the game world

Like I said, it's a factor of them not delivering enough in the core product. Expectations are high because Blizzard has to pull something out of the hat to maintain the game's appeal; expectations would be lower if people were already satisfied.

The real problem with the gems is they are 95% not even worth picking up.

POE's best season mechanics
Yes but also the bloat, man. The bloat. PoE has like seventeen different endgames to grind, and AFAIK none of them ever caught on like the Siege of the Atlas. Sometimes I wish they ditched the older stuff and cleaned house a bit.

The issue is mainly UI/itemization than feature bloat, to be fair. It's the huge variety of currencies and junk that fills up your inventory that seems to be there mainly to make you buy their currency tabs. I wouldn't say different enemies/encounters popping up is bloat in of itself, but the different currency systems and random UI elements for stuff that doesn't really matter that much is the core of the feeling of bloat.

abija

Prophet
Like I said, it's a factor of them not delivering enough in the core product. Expectations are high because Blizzard has to pull something out of the hat to maintain the game's appeal; expectations would be lower if people were already satisfied.
They did deliver enough endgame content though. Nightmare dungeons and a uber boss as ultimate goal are plenty. More than other diablos (or poe 3-4 years in).
Issue is, as repeatable content, nightmare dungeons SUCK. There was a lot of work spent there that failed to deliver and not sure how fast they can change them.

Saravan

Savant
When your standards are this low, no wonder you are satisfied with consuming garbage.

Zeriel

Arcane
They did deliver enough endgame content though. Nightmare dungeons and a uber boss as ultimate goal are plenty. More than other diablos (or poe 3-4 years in).
Issue is, as repeatable content, nightmare dungeons SUCK. There was a lot of work spent there that failed to deliver and not sure how fast they can change them.

Uber boss is not really equivelant to Diablo 3 pandamonium bosses or the equivelant in D2. It's just a hard-hitting boss that you already fought with a horse cosmetic. A pandamonium/real uber boss would drop new legendaries/uniques/etc. By the measure of what Uber Lilith is, D3 had way more, because each act boss on Inferno was the same deal, if you weren't top-geared it could one or two shot you.

And the nightmare dungeons are just normal leveling dungeons with higher stats, so... D3 on launch also has it beat here, since almost every dungeon/area in D3 is more designed and unique than D4's generic copy-pasted dungeons. This is an inherent part of D4's open world design so I won't fault it too heavily here, but in a comparison it makes the endgame very boring to play through.

Saravan

Savant

Uber boss is not really equivelant to Diablo 3 pandamonium bosses or the equivelant in D2. It's just a hard-hitting boss that you already fought with a horse cosmetic. A pandamonium/real uber boss would drop new legendaries/uniques/etc. By the measure of what Uber Lilith is, D3 had way more, because each act boss on Inferno was the same deal, if you weren't top-geared it could one or two shot you.

And the nightmare dungeons are just normal leveling dungeons with higher stats, so... D3 on launch also has it beat here, since almost every dungeon/area in D3 is more designed and unique than D4's generic copy-pasted dungeons. This is an inherent part of D4's open world design so I won't fault it too heavily here, but in a comparison it makes the endgame very boring to play through.
The comparison is retarded anyways. D3 is over 10 years old and PoE was a garage indy team pre-2018 acquisition and had a fraction of Blizzards budget.

Season 1 content is a complete joke as well that is gonna be completed within a week unless the hearts/6 uniques really change the way builds work. Even then no real endgame is expanded beside 1 boss.

Angthoron

Arcane
39ce8b776fedcf20e730ef3f74472ee1.jpg
"BUT WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THIS NEW WAVE OF CORRUPTION?!"
varshan the consumed?
Yeah I was about to post that too.

I suppose their secrets are the 7 new legendary aspects and the 6 uniques.

abija

Prophet
When your standards are this low, no wonder you are satisfied with consuming garbage.
I'm going to get absurd standards to not enjoy any game ever released. Also fuck me for buying poe, gd, wolcen and le in early access/beta. Should have waited til they are like PoE 3.0 feature wise. Everyone should do that so we enjoy better games in this genre.

Seriously? Lilith has more mechanics and is a better tuned/designed boss than anything released by Blizzard so far. Everyone said is much harder and better done than PoE bosses though not sure how much that it's the case or that it is doable undergeared (so people try it).

They have way more dungeons than needed for leveling. And the "generic copy pasted shit" is almost as exagerated as the level scaling issues. They fit their zones, most have backstories. The stupid "events" stuck on top make them feel more "copy pasted" than they are. It's perfectly fine to use them as end game content, "just" had to not make them tedious when run 5-10 per hour.

Do you realize nightmare dungeons are the perfect example why nobody will ever release a game "finished" like you expect them to?
This feature took tons of work and ended up a fiasco. Imagine they spend 3-5 more years to get a feature set equivalent to 1/3 of PoE and everything sucks just as much. Then what? The game is at least salvageable atm.

Also, at least there is some competition now (even if mostly pushed by $$$ and fake ass streamers) so GGG need to bring something to the table.

Saravan

Savant
Lmao there is no competition, PoE 2 can basically just upgrade graphics and simplify some bloated mechanics, both of which they intend to do, and it will be miles better than whatever mid shit D4 has. It has foundational issues that will not be resolved by power creep, but then again I’m not someone who enjoys eating shit for breakfast and be thankful because ‘that’s all there is’.

abija

Prophet
Lmao there is no competition, PoE 2 can basically just upgrade graphics and simplify some bloated mechanics, both of which they intend to do, and it will be miles better than whatever mid shit D4 has.

Meanwhile GGG desperatly shat out 2 mini teasers and put a 6 weeks countdown on their site for exilecon.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lol D4, as soon as PoE2 is out nobody is going to play D4 (except drunk losers).

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The moment to moment gameplay of Diablo 4 is so much more intense and fun than PoE/grim dawn it's almost comical. The downside is, going by complaints, it seems that's not what ARPG* players actually want. They don't want a pseudo brawler with complex class mechanics, they want a spreadsheet they can minmax to effortlessly clear the screen in a few clicks.

I'm not actually blaming the audience here, it's Blizzard's fault for misreading the room.

*the name "Action RPG" for Diablo-likes has always struck me as odd. To me, no game with a point and click interface is an action game. "Action" means you control your character directly; a mouse is an abstraction. You don't play Megaman or Devil May Cry by clicking a mouse cursor. Though its sacrilegious to old school fans, Diablo 4 was obviously designed to be played with a controller. You have a zoomed in camera, built in dodge roll, telegraphed enemy attacks, etc. In a way, it feels like the first of these games that can actually be called an action game, and I get why that upsets fans.

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
Lmao there is no competition, PoE 2 can basically just upgrade graphics and simplify some bloated mechanics, both of which they intend to do, and it will be miles better than whatever mid shit D4 has.

Meanwhile GGG desperatly shat out 2 mini teasers and put a 6 weeks countdown on their site for exilecon.
You are coping extremely hard if you think Chris Wilson is worried about D4. It’s a completely different target audience for ARPG casuals. You know what’s really telling is that I have not seen you once make a post discussing builds or interesting interplay between items and skills.

All you do is come in here and try to justify why it’s ok to be served such mediocre shit because you paid for it and have now backed yourself into a corner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom