Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Zero Credibility, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    3 checks in row in dialogue!

Suggestion.
    Drama.
    Inland empire.

With bookmaker.
    Wow. Anyone else getting 3 checks in row?

• nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Am going all-in on Communism. Got a bunch of skill penalties and an incentive to spout hard-left clichés at every opportunity, which only serves to annoy people.

I can confirm that this is an accurate representation of being a Communist IRL.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned much what with all the funny moments is that occasionally the writing gut punches you. Expertly. It had an emotional range that you do not normally encounter in computer games.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mibbles codex grandma Patron

mibbles
    Time to dance.

• Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    That's the thing and a great way of putting it. Even when you're talking about duels of wits. The way the conversation with the Union leader plays out kept reminding me of something like a boss fight, except instead losing big chunks of HP, I was losing chunks of dignity. Really great stuff.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I have. I've been feeling pretty lucky or well-prepared for many of my skill rolls so far though. There have been a few with pretty high percentages that I've failed though. Fun to roll with the punches though.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Well, Disco Elysium is unlike any other game, and you certainly wouldn't say it's thematically similar to PST or such. You really have never played this game before. And it is utterly consistent in style, it knows what it is and it oozes it. It's aware of the genre cliches and pitfalls and doesn't take cheap shots, it just uses that awareness to carve its own path.

That's how it's comparable to PST. Is it "as good"? Who can say on day one?

• Brofist x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Haha, got 70 reals from women. While ALL feelings told me i shouldnt do it.

Sometime checks do LIE to you.

• Yes Yes x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    At most, one could argue that they share an idiosyncratic character in the developers' approach to worldbuilding.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    There are other ways to get the body down from the tree.

Show Spoiler

If you puke and then puke again after getting the ammonia, it unlocks a thought—volumetric shit compressor—that gives you a huge bonus the next time you try. Volumetric shit compressors also unlocks the skill check so you don’t need to put another point into endurance. You can also ask Cuno how he deals with the smell and will get a bonus for taking his advice. There are probably other ways to handle it, too; this is just what I remember off the top of my head from my 1 FYS run.

I know you can have the union help you take the body down, but that might not unlock until after you make your initial assessment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Some of the funniest parts of the game are when you actually fail skill checks and get fail dialogue options. I've laughed quite a few times at the options and what I say after a failed check.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    What would that even mean, exactly?

^ Top  
  11. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Not what I had in mind. Was thinking more about the first night, and the bubble gum.

I even think the writer may have had sex once. With a woman.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    The game isn't letting me try any of them. The nip just keeps saying that we should save them as the last resort, even though I should have enough phys to pull it off.

^ Top  
  13. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Bought it because I enjoyed how it sounded original and ambitious although I really didn't expect that much. Right from the intro this grabbed me. It just oozes atmosphere and the game goes out of its way to actually let you play a role. The quality of the writing is great so far and manages to be fun, interesting and even, gasp, deep at times. These guys are talented. Dunno about their inspirations but I get some heavy Inspector Canardo vibes along with a shitload of Hunter S. Thompson. Anyway, I'm having a blast and even lauged a few times out loud at the (inner) conversations. Hope it keeps up.

• Brofist x 11
    • incline x 3
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    I tapped H a few times but didn't find any HUDless screenshots anywhere. Is there a secret folder somewhere or was it all a feeble practical joke?

^ Top  
  15. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    H just hides the UI. You still need to take the screenie.

^ Top  
  16. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    You don't sound like you're joking, but it's not working for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    Ah, yes. “H” is short for “hide” or “hud” or “hide the HUD”. Depending on whether you’re playing on Steam or GOG you should use the appropriate shortcut or tool to take a screenie

^ Top  
  18. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    I’ll ask about it. Should work.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Darkwind Savant Patron

Darkwind
    Strap Yourselves In
    Disagree, in a good way. It is quite similar to PST. I decided based on the overwhelming positive to stop being butthurt about no combat, that was a wise move. It is this century's PST, for certain. It is so very reminiscent of PST actually in many ways, not the least of which is that any combat would be needless because the narrative, exploration, and skill system carry the game. This is a very rare thing for a game to glide through on these and not be an adventure game like Telltale style.

Part of why I was very skeptical was because most of the time when this is attempted it is total dogshit, this is a unique exception and they nailed it for the most part. The PST similarity is also there in that you wake up an amnesiac basically who is back from the dead, sound familiar? Likewise, you have a semi-mystical background and are far more than you appear to be. You are also in some pocket dimension much as you were in PST, so there is quite a bit of overlap. It is also written in a very similar style with the mystery to solve narrative that keeps you hooked in strongly as well as the various side plots. Also the sort of drab depressing environment, the many factions, and the hub & spoke style city to explore.

Nothing like this has existed for a long time, a lot of people spooge over Age of Decadence, this is a non-shit version of that game that is actually good. That was a highly overrated game and was another one that probably would have worked w/o the combat piece just as well. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as amazing as I hear many people here making it out to be. I think when you are starved for C&C gameplay and thick narrative even something decent seems amazing.

• Salute x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Mutter silently: "Immigrants, liberal kipts, fucking... men are turning into women".

/brofist game

p.s. Yes. And women need to know their place.

WoW, enjoying game so much, breath of fresh air.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Red Hexapus Learned

Red Hexapus
    Playing as a mental Superstar Cop with his faithful companion Horrifiic "Not-so-good-advice" Necktie, and enjoying every single moment of the game. Definitely GOTY for me :shittydog:

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. RegionalHobo Learned

RegionalHobo
    went in with really low expectations after stygian and the whole non combat thing

turns out the game is damm good. as far as '' role play '' goes it does take it to a level i've never seen in a game

the amount of freedom you have in the game, even if it turns out it was '' fake '' freedom/choices in the end, is really impressive. i like how there s space for the character to think but also the player in the dialogue

what type of cop you guys got after the first day? i got the sorry cop ( guess it'll be the most common one )

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I would be highly hesitant to make the comparisons, as people are dumb. But it is the closest to a spiritual successor we can expect. While other games try to copy PS:T and fail miserably (hi numana), they pull it off naturally.

The most obvious example would be the moment to find your lost dossier. It hides surprising amount of things that I am afraid that a lot of people will miss.

It is similar in spirit, not in the substance. The game does its own thing.

The big worry I have is that maybe this mundane mystery can't quite carry to the game to the end of the story like PS:T did, but we'll have to see.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    Likewise. I'm guessing that for the boring cop you kind of need to focus on INT skills such as Encyclopedia and Rhetoric as to bore those around you with trivia and political hogwash.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Simple question about sleeping at end of Day one:

Show Spoiler
    how do i choose to embrace hobocop and sleep on the streets? I've internalised hobocop but Kim wants me to pawn his ballsacks.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.