Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Got bored and left

Well, it's still early, but I'm completely enthralled. It will take me some time to collect my thoughts (not to mention complete the game - how dare work get in the way of art?!), but I haven't felt like this about a new release in ages. Possibly ever. Money well spent.

It's a weird feeling, not being disappointed. Best not get used to it.

What copotypes are there in the game? And what do they do mechanically? I only saw Superstar and Hobocop in streams.

Still 6 hours before I can get home and play this myself.

PapaPetro

Played through the first day. Whole lotta shit I want to talk about but I suppose I won't just because I don't want to spoiler tag everything and (Potentially) don't want to know the answers regarding alternate routes/solutions. First day was fantastic though. Character is 6 physical 4 motorics 1 intellect 1 psyche and I'm having a lot of fun with the fact that my character immediately gets hard every time he's talking to a woman. I don't think I've had a single conversation with one yet where electrochemistry doesn't pop up. Including the old lady in the wheelchair. Also not going to be racist because Kim is a ridiculously huge bro, but there's a menace, gentlemen. The roasties. Still going to fuck them of course, but angrily!

34575CFA6A1F4F5886A094086A2555DB3B93A39A
HCv5Qk5.png

Speaking of roasties...

Simple question about sleeping at end of Day one:

how do i choose to embrace hobocop and sleep on the streets? I've internalised hobocop but Kim wants me to pawn his ballsacks.
That drove me fucking insane too. I internalized hobocop but I couldn't sleep in the dumpster and I had to make Kim sell his spinnaz. Found another way to get money but my character is much, MUCH too traditional to take that option.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
There was some motherfucker in this thread who complained "mooooom, It's a visual novel, I ned my coooombat, Its no Torment without combat" so fuck you, this person I can't recall, because you already had this visual novel with combat, its called AoD, and I'm pretty sure, that you complained about it having combat that is to hard. So fuck you. Kasparov did nothing wrong. Long live Revachol.

Duraframe300

Arcane
There was some motherfucker in this thread who complained "mooooom, It's a visual novel, I ned my coooombat, Its no Torment without combat" so fuck you, this person I can't recall, because you already had this visual novel with combat, its called AoD, and I'm pretty sure, that you complained about it having combat that is to hard. So fuck you. Kasparov did nothing wrong. Long live Revachol.

Pretty much. If there's one big complaint about PS:T its that it should have focused on dialog entirly rather than shoehorn combat in as it was near fully focusing on the former in the first place.

Disco Elysium is definitly the best rpg in that category since Planescape and the first one who FULLY embraces that ideal. Truly one of the ultimate storyfaq rpgs.
And I'm saying this as someone who, while I'm enjoying the game, isn't really fond of its tone and setting (Purely on taste).

Falksi

Arcane
I found PST boring as fuck due to the shit combat and absolute walls of txt.

With that in mind, is this even worth me considering? (I loved Tyranny, enough good combat in it for me)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So i've pretty much played the first day and fuck me, there's alot of reading, alot of history, characters, names, places. my head is spinning, but I like it, oh I do.

There's a shitload of text, but it's written in a manner that won't quite bore you or lose interest. At times it just about becomes "abit" just abit much, but then you can always go explore shit, which is great.
The obvious similarities in the style of this kind of game is PS:T, but I actually prefer this more down-to-earth, funny, wittily and direct writing to PS:T, which more than often oversatiates you.

Great graphics and artstyle, the somber music, the weird skillchecks and internal monologues with yourself, great atmosphere, loving the writing and the skills and all that. Truly a fucking great game so far! I stayed up until 1. am on a work night, and today I feel the punishment like our dear protag in the game. The kid is acting up, the wife is kind of moody, but dammit, it was all worth it!

A true storyfag game, I salute you dear Kasparov. This is 40 euros I definitely don't feel I wasted.

I will post more impressions at a later date. I hope you all are enjoying the game, comrades!

Duraframe300

Arcane

With that in mind, is this even worth me considering? (I loved Tyranny, enough good combat in it for me)

Probably not, I'd still watch a short youtube playthrough and decide if the style of writing can keep you interested.

Otherwise this is also walls of text.

Curratum

I just clicked through four 3-hour-long playthrough chapters recorded by Fextralife. There were one, maybe two screens / locations per video. You literally spend upwards of 30 minutes in the same spot, talking to characters and occasionally doing skill-checks in-between. Yeah, no, not for me, especially not at 40 eur.

Terenty

Liturgist
So, who is bringing vodka to the Outer Worlds' funeral afterpaty?

OW releases in another 10 days, by that time everyone will probably be long done with their second playthrough of DE.

I'm talking cultural impact (if we can talk about it in the context of video games) and legacy, dude, which Outer Worlds cant even dream of having

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I really dug Mord’s playthrough. I think it’s good to realise that you don’t have to vacuum all the dialogues. If you ask somebody to tell you about their thoughts on a subject then some of them will, believe me, and verbosely. It is the player’s choice and how much you choose to roleplay or not. The game gives you the tools and it is up to the player to decide how they’re going to use those. Just a thought.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, who is bringing vodka to the Outer Worlds' funeral afterpaty?

OW releases in another 10 days, by that time everyone will probably be long done with their second playthrough of DE.

I'm talking cultural impact (if we can talk about it in the context of video games) and legacy, dude, which Outer Worlds cant even dream of having

Disco Elysium is excellent on its own to talk about rather than using it as a vehicle to shit talk another rpg that isn't even similiar for vague reasons. FFS.

Play DE, embrace communism and have fun, comrade!

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game is amazing, played for the last 8 hours straight. The only thing I'd mention is that the sheer amount of things one can do is a little overwhelming, but that's like complaining about your wife's cooking being so good it's making you fat. Excellent job, but now all I'm thinking about is a game set in this universe with combat that was just as engaging as the dialogue....

vota DC

Augur
Cant play it yet, but - how terrible would be a full int/psyche build?

Not terrible at all. Just expect to fail at doing anything physical. Also I recommend putting a point in Perception early and finding some way to raise the cap or you’ll just obliviously walk past everything.

I have 3 In 5 Ps 1 Ph and 3 Mo, haven't finished first day but already got the thought that takes perception cap to 5.....too bad I lost the beginning encyclopedia bonus....It make sense with other thought that give you a malus and evolve.

Prime Junta

No. This is all walls of txt + pretty pictures. If those don't appeal to you, you'll hate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom