Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
What is most important in an RPG?

1. Story: 2217 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

2. Character Development: 1417 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

3. Exploration: 613 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

4. Combat: 553 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

(Your vote)
5. None Of The Above: 92 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

:negative:
The irony in that is that Larian's weakest link in their games is the story.

Perhaps that's why so many people voted on it. Not to say "story is the most important", but "at this point, to you story should be the most important because it sucked"

DraQ

Arcane

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

(Your vote)
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

Perhaps that's why so many people voted on it. Not to say "story is the most important", but "at this point, to you story should be the most important because it sucked"
Guys! Guys! Fix the story first, you've already nailed the combat!

flyingjohn

Arcane

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

(Your vote)
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

I would love to believe but but i have seen mainstream rpg fans dismissing anything connected to rpg that isn't story focused.
I have seen people refuse to play rogue likes,dungeon crawlers hell even old school crpgs just because the games aren't interactive movies.
Ironically bethesda fans might be the only mainstream "rpg" fans who don't care that much about story.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Larian's base is largely jilted Biodrones, of course they're going to value story.

Of course what they think makes a good story differs quite significantly from the likes of here. :)

Fry

Arcane
If they liked what Bioware's been up to recently they wouldn't be jilted Biodrones, eh?

I don't think it's going to matter much in the case of D:OS 2. The combat system isn't likely to change much and, at worst, the story will be as forgettable as it was the last time.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
HO! Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1447781

Vote for Skill Tiers-- now open!
You guys blew through not one, but TWO stretch goals granting you the opportunity to vote for two new Skill Tiers in D:OS2. The vote is now open at the Larian Vault! (See below for the details on how to create a Larian Vault account.)

There, you’ll be able to select which of several novel skill tiers you’d like to see in-game. The two highest-voted tiers will be developed with completely custom spells, stats, visuals, and animations.

Would you like to see your heroes polymorph in battle? Or perhaps you’d like to rampage through enemy camps as a juggernaut? Sound off at the Larian Vault!

Larian Vault: Your reward portal
Now that the Kickstarter campaign has ended, the Larian Vault is your portal to manage your rewards. Each Kickstarter backer should make a Larian Vault account in order to vote for Skill Tiers, provide contact and shipping information, and download rewards. Here’s how to make an account:

1. Go to https://www.larianvault.com

2. Click Sign in/ Register at the top right

3. Click on Create Account (or log in if you already have an account)

4. If you don't remember if you have a Larianvault account, try filling in your email address at our password reclamation page.

5. Once you're logged in, click the menu item "D:OS2 Kickstarter"

6. Fill in the email address you use to log in to Kickstarter, or if you pledged via Paypal, fill in the email address you use to log in to Paypal.

7. Click the button to link your Larian Vault profile to your Kickstarter pledge. Check your email and follow the link that is sent to you.

Can you vote there if you contributed via the Codex?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I doubt it, but you can try.

Don't think Larian are interested in spending time setting up special vote-only accounts for the Codex fundraiser.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
As long as they don't fuck up the combat, handle loot better, and generally don't change too much shit, I think the writing will improve enough to make this entry one of the best yet. The writing in the last one was serviceable. It was interesting at the time even though most of it was ultimately forgettable. But I haven't played a game that had combat that enjoyable in years. They can just tweak that shit a bit and leave it as is and I would be content.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I doubt it, but you can try.

Don't think Larian are interested in spending time setting up special vote-only accounts for the Codex fundraiser.

Yeah, it doesn't work. A shame, all the Codex only backers would surely be a positive influence in this and any future polls.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If they liked what Bioware's been up to recently they wouldn't be jilted Biodrones, eh?

Their problems would be with gameplay, not story. Look at all the people voting for DA:O as their favorite in that list.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So guise, any chance we'll be able to mod in the other skill trees?
Unlikely, but not unheard of. Skills in D:OS series are basically abilities/spells, in Guild Wars fashion. Modding something like this will not be easy, but possibility was provided before. Warcraft III really delivered in that matter. I hope Larian will at least think about it.

SniperHF

Arcane
Skills will still have ability requirements. It's classless in that you can put points into any ability category at level up. Where as say in Pillars you can't grab a couple Wizard spells on your Chanter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"They never did get that million, so I guess they're still bust."

Seriously? They never reached a million? No wonder they are beggin'f or 'mo money. Least successful game. I mean their other games managed to sell a million+ EASILY.

You must be lying. They have to be at over a million by now.

Iirc, Swen said they broke a million sales several months ago in some Belgian interview. Unless Roguey means Steam/digital sales specifically.

Turns out he was stretching the truth. At the time the Steamspy figures were 850,149 ± 22,977 and all retail copies required Steam. According to Tim Schaefer's Psychonauts infographic they've sold 32,600 copies on GOG to date. As of this post here Pillars sales on GOG surpassed D:OS's and Pillars has always been behind Psychonauts (going enhanced reset D:OS's number, welp). Even now, it's possible that they haven't broken the one million mark on PC, though it certainly has counting the console versions.

These things linger in my mind and fester. :abyssgazer:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Playing with pre made characters we were unable to see the character creation screen
You want to sell me a RPG : just let me 2 hours with only the character creation screen, not with everything but it. :)

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hum, DIV:OS started its life as an aRPG. I thought that they sold it as a love letter to the old IE games from the start?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hum, DIV:OS started its life as an aRPG. I thought that they sold it as a love letter to the old IE games from the start?

They weren't selling it to anybody at first. It was in development for two years before we even knew it existed.

agris

Arcane
Patron

They weren't selling it to anybody at first. It was in development for two years before we even knew it existed.
Well, yea. You don't sell something before you... begin to sell it.

That being said, it was always presented as their take on a Baldur's Gate-style game. It's interesting to hear that it started as an aRPG because I (we?) have never heard that before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom