Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh wow...

Roguey Nope, no trash encounters, don't know what Matt is on about.

Anyway, I thought this game was crazy hard once, was pretty frustrating, then I found the henchmen. I ran right out of Cyseal's gate with two low level party members and although I ran into some difficulty I did fairly well with no OP builds or meta-gameyness and no lone wolf on either.
Anyway that was in the beta a few weeks before release. Since the release I've had no trouble at all, I enjoy the encounters and the occasional challenge, but it's been easy for me even with silly non combat builds and the like, as well the great builds and traits are really, really obvious, no guide checks required.

It's unfortunate that shit players with too much ego to admit that easy is more their speed can potentially dictate future difficulty levels with their bad reviews.(I have to deduct a whole point because I suck!) Although I wouldn't mind more balance, if he's losing because of a bad build then maybe the designers should have put a lot less shitty dump stats and the like.

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean it's really nice that between Lone Wolf, Easy difficulty and Henchmen, you have 3 ways to make your game a lot, lot easier in different ways. It gives a different experience, as do things like glass cannon.

Tigranes

Arcane
....new patch, started game, blue screen of death, Steam now says game is not installed. Hope my saves are intact, or I'm hgoing to have to restart again.

doggfookker

Educated
One thing I am a little let down with is the non-combat shit kind of tapers off after Cyseal. The forest and Silverglen are cool, and the combat encounters are solid, but Cyseal was just packed to the brim with content and people to talk to and shit to stumble across. It seems like that kind of stopped. Divinity 2 was kind of the same way, with the Orobas Fjords or whatever the fuck they were called being a lot sparser with non-combat related content and not having any reasonably sized town to visit. Does that change? Do later areas have big ass towns full of NPCs like Cyseal? I am a huge dork for that shit.

Sodafish

Arcane
Is there a bug in...

the Temple of the Dead? There is clearly a passageway behind a titan's head at the bit where you click the skull to raise the bridge where the wolves appear, but there doesn't appear to be any way of accessing the passageway. I can't see a switch or anything anywhere (with a 14 perception character) and can't talk to the head. I've done everything else in the temple, and I assume this is the way to the trapdoor and switch above where the 4 sentinels are

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, the game gets sparser and sparser as you go along, though it's already a big game and I thought the stuff that was there in Hunter's Edge was interesting (the 'hub' is not as big as Silverglen but there is a similar amount of, or perhaps a bit more of, in-town stuff to do). Actually, I'd have preferred that to be the second big hub on a Cyseal level with lots of stuff to do given its theme. Don't know about what lies beyond that but I suspect it is the endgame.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Normal RPG behavior suggests that if players receive a quest—without a giant skull icon or other “high-level” warning—then they should be capable of completing that quest immediately.

It absolutely does not. Jesus H. Christ it's like the last 30 years of CRPGs just don't exist and never fucking happened. The era of level-scaling and quest markers is less than 10 years old, and even still they are not pervasive. There are plenty of RPGs out there -- both old and new -- that don't operate this way. If he doesn't know about them, that's his fault. Not the developer's. Goddamn.
I do agree that being given what seems like a do-nothing quest only to find it's extremely challenging can sometimes be frustrating, but proper messaging to the player could solve that. I think a cool solution would be to do some sort of level check and change the quest giver's dialog a little bit... like, if the quest is intended for players at around level 10, but you're level 5, have the quest giver say "Well, you might not be up for this yet, but if you think you've got the nads for it..." or something along those lines. You don't have to specifically reveal what level the quest is meant for; you can just sort of imply it for the player

Of course that extends to making challenges also implicitly signal their difficulty, i.e. if you have a quest to kill some rats in a cellar, those rats probably shouldn't be ludicrously tough endgame enemies.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm looking forward to the content thinning out a bit. I am getting BGII levels of shit to do in Cyseal, which is fine (not complaining) but if the game loosens up a bit I'm okay with that too. It would be a nice change of pace.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Normal RPG behavior suggests that if players receive a quest—without a giant skull icon or other “high-level” warning—then they should be capable of completing that quest immediately.

It absolutely does not. Jesus H. Christ it's like the last 30 years of CRPGs just don't exist and never fucking happened. The era of level-scaling and quest markers is less than 10 years old, and even still they are not pervasive. There are plenty of RPGs out there -- both old and new -- that don't operate this way. If he doesn't know about them, that's his fault. Not the developer's. Goddamn.
I do agree that being given what seems like a do-nothing quest only to find it's extremely challenging can sometimes be frustrating, but proper messaging to the player could solve that.

Personally I don't find that frustrating. I mean, most of the history of CRPGs was this way, if you stumbled into something and got your ass pulped into V8, oh well! Hope you had a save! The Sierra games were notorious for this, just off the top of my head, and I loved them for it. I don't really see the big deal here, especially since 1) The game autosaves and 2) There is a fleeing mechanic. It just sounds like whining from that reviewer.

Repressed Homosexual
I think part of the fun of this series is going into the wild and stumbly sparsely onto crazy/funny characters that seem straight out of a Monty Python film and trying to fulfill their silly quests.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

I do agree that being given what seems like a do-nothing quest only to find it's extremely challenging can sometimes be frustrating, but proper messaging to the player could solve that.

Personally I don't find that frustrating. I mean, most of the history of CRPGs was this way, if you stumbled into something and got your ass pulped into V8, oh well! Hope you had a save! The Sierra games were notorious for this, just off the top of my head, and I loved them for it. I don't really see the big deal here, especially since 1) The game autosaves and 2) There is a fleeing mechanic. It just sounds like whining from that reviewer.
Don't be surprised if not many share your masochism

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
or u could just.... disengage from fights?
Messed around with two scoundrels.
Kinda fun when you're not just going through the combat motions over and over.

Hit Lv 3ish.
Decided to clear Cyseal again - will do more tonight.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there a bug in...

the Temple of the Dead? There is clearly a passageway behind a titan's head at the bit where you click the skull to raise the bridge where the wolves appear, but there doesn't appear to be any way of accessing the passageway. I can't see a switch or anything anywhere (with a 14 perception character) and can't talk to the head. I've done everything else in the temple, and I assume this is the way to the trapdoor and switch above where the 4 sentinels are

That section is probably cut content from mega dungeon. Secret sanctuary which holds liches bones is the only secret place in there.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh Matt, what insane difficulty are you talking about? This is what normal difficulty should be in games. Normal, medium, balanced. It is just enough to maintain a little challange, but it is not insane if you learn the mechanics. But I guess people are used to the normal=easy, and easy="LOL the game plays itself" difficulty.

Anyway, I uninstalled the GOG version and will start a new game on the Steam version. It turned out that I become a spoiled brat and i miss the autoupdate feature of Steam. Although GOG cought up with the patches, it is uncomfortable to check after patches constantly (I'm spoiled, I know). Will return to GOG if the gog client is released and it works as intended.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Fangshi

Arcane
sea said:
I think a cool solution would be to do some sort of level check and change the quest giver's dialog a little bit... like, if the quest is intended for players at around level 10, but you're level 5, have the quest giver say "Well, you might not be up for this yet, but if you think you've got the nads for it..." or something along those lines. You don't have to specifically reveal what level the quest is meant for; you can just sort of imply it for the player

If I recall correctly the game does that at least once:

In Silverglen I think. When you are trying to infiltrate the Immaculates and you have to go to that cave in the spider/sandstorm section. The guards you have to pass to get there warn you that the area has stronger monsters and you can ask at least one of them if they think you are strong enough to do it. They will either caution you to come back at a higher level or they will tell you that they think you are strong enough to do it.

Don't know if it happens anywhere else though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom