Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

chuft

Augur
Make sure somebody in the party is developing a good Lore. Some of this can come from equipment. It is used during combat to see important things like enemy resistances/immunities.

catfood

AGAIN
Make sure somebody in the party is developing a good Lore. Some of this can come from equipment. It is used during combat to see important things like enemy resistances/immunities.
I found it to be a useless skill. Most of the time you can tell the enemy's resistances and weaknesses just by looking at them. As for items, it takes like one minute to teleport to Cyseal, visit a shop keeper to identify them, and then teleport back.

chuft

Augur
I found it to be a useless skill. Most of the time you can tell the enemy's resistances and weaknesses just by looking at them. As for items, it takes like one minute to teleport to Cyseal, visit a shop keeper to identify them, and then teleport back.

I found it exceptionally useful in combat. I did not even mention identifying items.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I have the archer chick who starts with lore and already has 2 points, so pretty good there so far. If the ability points remain at one a level then not sure I'd put more into that, but we'll see.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I have the archer chick who starts with lore and already has 2 points, so pretty good there so far. If the ability points remain at one a level then not sure I'd put more into that, but we'll see.
Once you reach 3 points, you can gain the remaining 2 with items. You can also equip them only when you need to identify something.

jackofshadows

Magister

Once you reach 3 points, you can gain the remaining 2 with items. You can also equip them only when you need to identify something.
IIRC you can get +3 from gear and +1 from trait although it's for MCs only. Anyway, don't waste skill points on lore for archer chick.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Yeah I'm noticing gear gives a lot of stat bonuses. I'm only level 5 but my tank has three extra strength points from gear already. Haven't found constitution boosts yet.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Really enjoying the game with a couple quibbles. Is it me or does this game have like zero lore? I've read a handful of lore books but they're very simplistic, and NPCs pretty much never talk about grander concepts than what's right in front of them. Also the level structure is way too streamlined, with obvious areas to do in sequence rather than them being a little more mixed together. I'm not complaining about levels in general, and it was fun to go into the level 7 area and do some tough fights at level 5. It's the geography I dislike, things are too segregated by level like a WoW map.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it me or does this game have like zero lore? I've read a handful of lore books but they're very simplistic, and NPCs pretty much never talk about grander concepts than what's right in front of them.
Enjoy it while you can.
Also the level structure is way too streamlined, with obvious areas to do in sequence rather than them being a little more mixed together. I'm not complaining about levels in general, and it was fun to go into the level 7 area and do some tough fights at level 5. It's the geography I dislike, things are too segregated by level like a WoW map.
Never got this complaint myself, the Cyseal area seemed to me to follow a general rule of tougher encounters the further away from the city you go. To the extent that it does have a restrictive "level structure" I absolutely would blame levels in general, considering what a massive difference even one or two extra levels make to the overall power level of your party.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Never got this complaint myself, the Cyseal area seemed to me to follow a general rule of tougher encounters the further away from the city you go. To the extent that it does have a restrictive "level structure" I absolutely would blame levels in general, considering what a massive difference even one or two extra levels make to the overall power level of your party.

It's not like that, it's very segmented into zones like WoW. That's my complaint. Here's a map:

KEJXSrEl.jpg

I prefer when it's more organic like say a Gothic game, so you can explore more freely rather than doing entire zones sequentially.

Efe

Erudite
it is an open world game but you have to take a certain path which turns it into an open world corridor.
is it really all you can take from his words that he wants level scaling?

Tigranes

Arcane
I get what Dalek's saying, though I don't think they could have done it much differently in the case of the DOS1 map - it's relatively small and there's a density of encounters, so plopping a Level 5 enemy in the middle of the Level 2 area could easily stump some players thinking it's the only path.

The real difference comes from whether your level 5 guy can try to take on enemies between level 2-8, for example, or whether it's a TW3 like extreme where you do 0.2 damage suddenly and realise you're out of your level zone.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it me or does this game have like zero lore?
It's not only you, I made the same observation when I played it recently -

I don't mean quest information, just general lore. You can ask pretty much everyone what they think about the Immaculates and the non-Immaculates would say "they are a creepy blood cult which carry out sacrifices OooooOoOooOO", and the Immaculates would say "The Goddess is great! Step on my throat, mommy!" in different wordings. There is no world-building or even any lore to speak of, just the same thing over and over again.

And I forced myself to read every book I came across to practice my German. There is exactly 1 interesting piece of lore in the entire game, and 1 sort of "storyline" that had me more engrossed than the entirety of the other writing. The piece of lore is the "A Pirate's Life" book where a captain tells us of Cyseal's weird laws and how he has to work around them. The storyline is Maradino's journal entries, I was more into his relationship with his mother than anything else in the entire game.

I get what Dalek's saying, though I don't think they could have done it much differently in the case of the DOS1 map - it's relatively small and there's a density of encounters, so plopping a Level 5 enemy in the middle of the Level 2 area could easily stump some players thinking it's the only path.

The real difference comes from whether your level 5 guy can try to take on enemies between level 2-8, for example, or whether it's a TW3 like extreme where you do 0.2 damage suddenly and realise you're out of your level zone.

My first (only) playthrough, I left the city gates at Level 3 and proceeded to the beach area marked as Level 6, lol. That explains alot. I remember getting my first encounter on that beach being battle of attrition with two orcs who I kept stun locked in a puddle. The puddle had been continually electrified so many times that it eventually evaporated. Not into a usable cloud mind you, just gone. I only just barely killed them when it did. I'm not sure if it "over leveled" my group, but clearing that beach, it was the last time I experience any difficulty at all. It was still a fun game though.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Never felt I "had to" go anywhere, that's the point. Yeah, some areas are easier than others, but allowing for say a 2-level leeway, which I don't think is unreasonable, you'll always have several ways to go. It's way worse in the sequel. That's not to say that the level stat isn't more important than it should be, since ideally it should have exactly zero influence on anything.

JDR13

Arcane
I think there's a decent amount of lore. There are lots of dialogues that talk about past historical events and figures in the world, i.e. the source war, the dragon war, Maxos, etc.

I think people are simply used to having written lore (books, etc.) as opposed to it being told through dialogue.

As for the map, I never felt like it was very linear. I mean, it is, but they did a good job of making it feel like the natural path to me.

pidstuff

Educated
I've been playing this game recently and I'm enjoying it a lot. the ability to interact with a lot of objects and the environment is really good, and the writing reminds me of some of the games I've played in the 90s and 2000s. I also appreciate the puzzles and how the game doesn't hold your hand everywhere. Still, it has its' flaws like in combat where you can accidentally move closer to your target and it could be frustrating at times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom