Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you consider Disco Elysium an RPG?

Do you consider Disco Elysium an RPG?

• Total voters

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
The game got voted as GOTY 2019 by RPG Codex (with 646 votes out of 949), so trying to pretend like a pool done by ~100 is somehow more representative is laughable.
It was voted best GAME of 2019 not best RPG, #2 was a metroidvania and #3 a roguelike card game.

The majority of the codex agrees, DE is not an RPG.

:dealwithit:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Btw I'd just like to point out that the designer said they want to have more combat in the next game. The one climactic instance of "proper" combat in Disco Elysium was fucking superb, really gripping, and very RPG-ish (because dependent for its outcomes on prior decisions made in the course of the story), and I would definitely like to see more of it. It's not "standard RPG combat," but whatever it is, whatever it should be called, it's a very good way of doing combat in a computer game. The developers thought outside the box for it (as with many other things in the game), and it paid off IMHO.

If the next game had more combat instances, would that push it more towards an RPG in some peoples' eyes here?

WhiteShark

Learned
[...]very RPG-ish (because dependent for its outcomes on prior decisions made in the course of the story)[...]
[...]If the next game had more combat instances, would that push it more towards an RPG in some peoples' eyes here?
So the outcomes are based, not on gameplay, but on narrative choices? Like a sort of branching story path? Like one might find in a VN?
:philosoraptor:

Harthwain

Magister
It was voted best GAME of 2019 not best RPG, #2 was a metroidvania and #3 a roguelike card game.
Why then are people butthurt that Disco Elysium was GOTY for RPG Codex? I always thought it was because it was voted as top RPG of the year:

This year we had 949 voters, who rated 62 releases from 2019. This is almost half of the 114 RPGs of 2018, as it was definitely a slower year. Hope you managed to clean your backlog, because 2020 looks overwhelming.

Codex Year of the Donut
reminder that Titan Outpost, not Disco Elysium, had the highest average score in the RPGCodex 2019 poll.
17094.jpg

Vic

Savant
Why then are people butthurt that Disco Elysium was GOTY for RPG Codex? I always thought it was because it was voted as top RPG of the year:

This year we had 949 voters, who rated 62 releases from 2019. This is almost half of the 114 RPGs of 2018, as it was definitely a slower year. Hope you managed to clean your backlog, because 2020 looks overwhelming.
redding is teh hard

Harthwain

Magister
redding is teh hard
Indeed:

Bonus graph: Best RPGs of 2017-2021

Here's how the past 5 years of RPG releases look like:

As always, you can check the full results and the raw vote data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C6UGwwdqeK2YmJBVae_sb3O4TLWY5Tx-XqB_SQRoci8/edit?usp=sharing
"Best RPGs of 2017-2021", in addition to GOTY. Disco Elysium is on that list. It can't be any more obvious than that. It was also played by 68% and rated positively by 69%. That's a clearly a majority (and a pretty good spot, considering how played it was). Not sure how many people voted (an exact number for the graph isn't given in the datasheet), but in the post it says there were "569 voters".

I guess the Codex has spoken and Disco Elysium is an RPG without doubt, eh? :smug:

Vic

Savant
I guess the Codex has spoken and Disco Elysium is an RPG without doubt, eh? :smug:
my guy, open your eyes and look at this poll's results, it doesn't matter if 1000 more people vote, it has been pretty consistent at around ~60% in favor of NOT being an RPG.

You're just grasping at straws, stop being a butthurt little bitch already.

Harthwain

Magister
my guy, open your eyes and look at this poll's results, it doesn't matter if 1000 more people vote, it has been pretty consistent at around ~60% in favor of NOT being an RPG.

You're just grasping at straws, stop being a butthurt little bitch already.
No matter how you try to slice it, you lose:

1) You get Disco Elysium as an RPG in the official pool for "Best RPGs of 2017-2021". We're talking about "the past 5 years of RPG releases". But, hey, nice try shifting gears from "the vote was for a game, not for an RPG!" to "my poll is more relevant than a much larger and official poll!" when it turned out you shot yourself in the foot with your comment.

2) Disco Elysium has 69% votes out of 569 people. That gives 392 of people who voted it POSITIVELY. 392 beats 158, meaning it outweights even the totality of your random poll (both positive and negative votes).

3) The 2017-2021 vote proves another thing too: if 1000 more people were to vote, the result would start to lean more in favour of Disco Elysium, as most of the negative electorate had already put in their votes. So the smaller and obscurer a poll is, it is actually more likely for it to be skewed compared to the wider one, due to the smaller amount of data and less exposition to potential voters.

So, yeah, you're the one who's just grasping at straws and should stop being a butthurt little bitch already.

Vic

Savant
You're not arguing with me, you're arguing with reality. For the record, I voted YES in this poll :smug:

1) You get Disco Elysium as an RPG in the official pool for "Best RPGs of 2017-2021". We're talking about "the past 5 years of RPG releases".
Did you even look at that graph? I see plenty of games which are not RPGs. I don't know who made that graph, but it seems like someone made it with a script that included all games that have the RPG Steam tag, not saying much.

2) Disco Elysium has 69% votes out of 569 people. That gives 392 of people who voted it POSITIVELY. 392 beats 158, meaning it outweights even the totality of your random poll (both positive and negative votes).
I can't tell if you're trolling me but this has absolutely nothing to do with whether DE is an RPG or not, people who played it liked it. I liked it a lot too, made me laugh more than any other game. Great reading experience.

3) The 2017-2021 vote proves another thing too: if 1000 more people were to vote, the result would start to lean more in favour of Disco Elysium, as most of the negative electorate had already put in their votes. So the smaller and obscurer a poll is, it is actually more likely for it to be skewed compared to the wider one, due to the smaller amount of data and less exposition to potential voters.
It's not a vote retard, it's a graph of aggregated data. The results of this poll have been consistent since almost the very beginning. It will not change.

Your arguments prove only one thing: you're retarded. Don't bother replying to me as I won't reciprocate.

Vic

Savant
Not sure how many people voted (an exact number for the graph isn't given in the datasheet)
because it's not a vote. redding is teh hard

there is no vote that contradicts this one, that's why I made it, because I wanted to know if the Codex considers DE an RPG, the results are pretty divided and I agree with Zombra that it does not make it objectively a non-RPG, that's not what this poll is about. It's about what the codex thinks about DE. I guarantee you 100% if you'd run this poll on any other website the overwhelming majority would vote YES.

Harthwain

Magister
You're not arguing with me, you're arguing with reality. For the record, I voted YES in this poll :smug:
Then you're a retard, but what else is new?

Did you even look at that graph? I see plenty of games which are not RPGs. I don't know who made that graph, but it seems like someone made it with a script that included all games that have the RPG Steam tag, not saying much.
Yeah, I looked at the graph (as well as the text, which you obviously didn't as I will soon prove) and I don't care about your opinion on which game is an RPG and which one ain't as your conjecture clearly can't be trusted.

I can't tell if you're trolling me but this has absolutely nothing to do with whether DE is an RPG or not, people who played it liked it.
People who were taking part in the poll voted for the "Best RPGs of 2017-2021", not "Best games of 2017-2021". If you didn't think something was an RPG you should either abstain from voting for a particular game or give it the lowest possible score (in case the former isn't possible). It is as simple as that.

Another thing worth noting is they were also voting for Disco Elysium in RPG Codex GOTY 2019, which is yet another vote for RPG of the year (as GOTY nominations are given for best RPGs). Had the game not been considered an RPG, it wouldn't have had as many votes as it had in two separate polls. Here is the kind of consistency you like to talk about so much.

It's not a vote retard, it's a graph of aggregated data.
:retarded: Did you even read before looking at the graph?:
As always, you can check the full results and the raw vote data here:
Also there is "% of voters who played it" on Y-axis and "% of positive votes (size of bubble = % of 4/4 votes)" on X-axis. Just saying.

Your arguments prove only one thing: you're retarded.
:nocountryforshitposters:

You might want to remove that huge wooden bar from your own eye first before saying something like that.

Don't bother replying to me as I won't reciprocate.
I don't give a shit. You don't want people to participate? Then don't post.

Harthwain

Magister

bionicman

Augur
What's the point of this thread, OP? Let's say hypothetically everyone on the world agreed disco elysium is not an rpg. Who cares? It's still a game a lot of people like, some don't... A game being an RPG does not automatically make it better than some game from another genre. Machinarium is one of my favorite games, and I'd rather (re)play it than some trash encounter rpg like pillars of eternity lmao

Vic

Savant
honestly, it's pretty clear that you are trolling at this point, nobody can be this stupid, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom