Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Dominions 6 - Rise of the Pantokrator: The New Decline a.k.a ProfessionalThroneSitters MP Match (Polish Victory!)

In what age should we play?

• Early Age

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Middle Age

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Late Age

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

Johannes

Arcane
60 Yomi mages

I never really played to this point but I guess this just means your screen is full of 60 individual mages you need to move around?

It's not even the worst it can get. Communions an' shit required a good focus, and once reverse communions were a thing once, where you used the communions to spam buffs to the mages to optimize spellcasting. 60 Mages is a lot, but Evocation spam armies usually ran in the 30-40 mages count for midgame (imagine Air mages acting with proper support and Storm power, crap was terrifying if you didn't have counters). Back in Dom4 there was even gem baiting, scripting specific attacks with remote teleport/cloud Trapeze rituals to get the enemy mages to burn their gems before the battles so during the "normal" movement phase they would not have gems to cast battlefield spells.

Or the abuse of the casting order to get your Battlefield spells working before the enemy did. If you want to go full sperg, Dominions has the depth: but it becomes draining fast and lategame turns if taken very seriously can require hours of planning.

Malakal is a veteran so he can probably tell you even wilder stories. Hell, he's still a minor meme on /domg/.
Reverse communions are totally reasonable to me since I played Dom3.

But when I hear stories from Dom2 it gets wild for me, Norfleet would be the guy to ask for those, apparently he was so good with the game's economy they banned him for it.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Reverse communions are totally reasonable to me since I played Dom3.

But when I hear stories from Dom2 it gets wild for me, Norfleet would be the guy to ask for those, apparently he was so good with the game's economy they banned him for it.

I do agree, but they clearly weren't intended and so they disappeared from the game with Dom4.

Norfleet, if I'm not wrong, got the weird honour of being caught at cheating by the developers themselves or something (gem counts being suspicious, if I remember right). But I wasn't active in the Dom3 MP scene, I managed to play a single MP before 4 came out. Did play a shitton of SP aping the oldass SA LPs, though. I wonder how's the SA Dominions community nowadays, probably a mess like everything on that hellsite.

Andnjord

Arcane
I will probably join for the Cool Codex Competition number two, currently I’m both far too rusty and unsure I can really commit without risking going AFK by turn twenty.

Meanwhile all I demand is BLOOD AND CARNAGE.

Johannes

Arcane
I wonder how's the SA Dominions community nowadays, probably a mess like everything on that hellsite.
They had their own Discord for MP games and their own server on which to host Dominions games. I played a game on their server but got banned for telling jokes or smth like that. That was in Dom4 times, they might be still at it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You know what, I probably going to die first but fuck it

Can I still join?

14 players is a lot (we're going to have a .... 210 province map, roughly). But of course, join freely. The more, the merrier, the AFK. Pick a nation.

panzertoter , yer alive?

Can't we do 12 provinces per player?

Also I'd prefer a not randomly generated map or at least one with checked starts. SP games give me the worst starts sometimes...

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does this have automated transfer of turns etc built into the game now? Field of Glory got me too comfy for old PBEM nonsense.

Johannes

Arcane
Does this have automated transfer of turns etc built into the game now? Field of Glory got me too comfy for old PBEM nonsense.
You connect to the server ingame, no need to be mailing turn files. Older Dominions had that too if you had some server to host on, but now Illwinter has their own server for it.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You connect to the server ingame, no need to be mailing turn files. Older Dominions had that too if you had some server to host on, but now Illwinter has their own server for it.
brilliant. automation of the turn-swapping is a great improvement, even if it's just making it accessible for everyone via a public/universal server.

I would play you guys, but I just defeated 3 normal AIs with my Arcos supercombatant chicken man. I don't want to spoil your game by winning in the first few turns.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
So I am kinda torn between a scale oriented pretender and a regeneration or fortitude expander.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Are there still openings? I changed my mind, let me in, I am the one true god. I will be EA Greece/Arcos no wait I will be ancient China/Tien Ch'i and pick the beautiful happy Chinese new year dragon god

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
brilliant. automation of the turn-swapping is a great improvement, even if it's just making it accessible for everyone via a public/universal server.

I would play you guys, but I just defeated 3 normal AIs with my Arcos supercombatant chicken man. I don't want to spoil your game by winning in the first few turns.
Yes, but I played for 3 hours, and I am afraid single-player anything still rolls over the AI, and you can't possibly see the depth of the game without multiplayer. I am not using any leet meta strategy, and I've already won.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Are there still openings? I changed my mind, let me in, I am the one true god. I will be EA Greece /Arcos

Fifteen players is a lot. Whatever, I guess we'll get an AFK fest and Sqeecoo will feast on our entrails.

Also, the map generation system is utter dogshit. Anyone has high-player count maps ready or I will be forced to rework the random generation until it's decent?

Yes, but I played for 3 hours, and I am afraid single-player anything still rolls over the AI, and you can't possibly see the depth of the game without multiplayer. I am not using any leet meta strategy, and I've already won.

I think he was joking, "I beat the AI with a Pretender SC, aren't you scared people" is clearly humorous.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fifteen players is a lot. Whatever, I guess we'll get an AFK fest and Sqeecoo will feast on our entrails.

Also, the map generation system is utter dogshit. Anyone has high-player count maps ready or I will be forced to rework the random generation until it's decent?
Since we have enough, we could do two games instead. Maybe split it into a game of noobs and of veterans? Or just two random groups, or a EA game and a MA game or something. Not that I mind a giant game personally; just saying we've got options.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Are there still openings? I changed my mind, let me in, I am the one true god. I will be EA Greece /Arcos

I think he was joking, "I beat the AI with a Pretender SC, aren't you scared people" is clearly humorous.

Understandable, I will play next time then. As for Mortmal, don't worry about him, he fears the snake-legged chicken man.

Andnjord

Arcane
Also, the map generation system is utter dogshit
Yeah, from what little I’ve seen it’s really iffy. One test put my capital between mountains with the only exit a throne province, that was a quick restart. The other one made me think I was expanding like a god until I realised that one AI had a similar situation to mine in the previous test and the other four were all right next to each other thunder dome style barely having a cap circle to expand into.

Is there any where where one can get the old classic custom maps for Doms 6?

Dayyālu

Arcane
At this point I would almost believe two eight-players game would be better, because trust me a 16-players game is a chore and the maps crap.

Since we have enough, we could do two games instead. Maybe split it into a game of noobs and of veterans? Or just two random groups, or a EA game and a MA game or something. Not that I mind a giant game personally; just saying we've got options.

This is a good idea, and would simplify both map creation and make for a less daunting experience.

If there's no interest, I've ran some tests and got adequate maps. I'll host tomorrow if the majority wants the 16-players experience.

Also the lack of pre-made maps and this mapgen stuff is.... well, disappointing. Lot of work for the host.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Well, Lobby is open.

I hope the map is decent. Check your PMs and send your Pretenders!

also panzertoter never replied so I consider him ded

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
So I am perusing the lobby for the first time: :retarded:
Holy fuck, those are quite alot of games.

Tanaka

Educated
And we are off! Glad we got started setting up two separate games would have been even more time consuming. Good luck everyone!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom