Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dominions 6

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
One thing I really don't know is the pacing of how each single turn is supposed to go. How much should I be recruiting, how many captains should I have at each point, how many armies should I field with my captains ect.
The best way to learn Dominions is to play, and play, and try new nations and ways to develop. Start with some easier difficulty to have some space to experiment. You'll get some feel for it with practice, however each nation plays differently and you have so much freedom to play there is no definitive answer.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The Dog People are virtuous. :positive:
And they all come with a nasty bite. They thrash indies.

e: They DON'T have access to the Dog Titan chassis though!

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
image.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Cool, assassinations can now take place in different arenas. I got one where my mage was ambushed in a tavern, complete with neutral npcs.

e: Holy shit the recruit anywhere evil dogs (Howlers) are chaff killers supreme:

Clipboard05.jpg

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
I've always wanted to play this multiplayer, but I hate the fact that I need to buy a copy for each person. Wish the dev would open up the game to allow LAN with a single copy.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
I meant who came up with the idea to use the word as a name for a nation, it sounds idiotic.
Many people seem triggered by the name, probably because it looks like "feminism".
But it is in line with other nations names : Ur, Abysia, Oceania, Atlantis, Nazca, Pelagia, R'lyeh, Pyrenee and others which are not very original but match the theme very well.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I meant who came up with the idea to use the word as a name for a nation, it sounds idiotic.
Many people seem triggered by the name, probably because it looks like "feminism".
But it is in line with other nations names : Ur, Abysia, Oceania, Atlantis, Nazca, Pelagia, R'lyeh, Pyrenee and others which are not very original but match the theme very well.
My main problem is that the name doesn't evoke much other than the female gender. Better nation names have more complex and obvious associations that fit with the mythological and/or fantastic themes of the game.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
My main problem is that the name doesn't evoke much other than the female gender. Better nation names have more complex and obvious associations that fit with the mythological and/or fantastic themes of the game.
Fair enough. Out of curiosity I gave them quick spin. Their astral/glamour path looks an interesting combo, they have well armored chaff and cheap researchers (a rarity now in 6), however they thematically lack some oomph with only one nation spell, no national summon and an overall lack of fluff. However they're part of the new nations offshoots from Ind, so we may expect they'll get some more attention later on.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
How does terrain altering work? Shouldn't it change to your nations preferable terrain if you own it for long enough and your dominion is strong? It is shown in this video:

39:09

I play as Ubar and nothing is turning into desert. Very disappointing. CoE is way better for larping a desert lord.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I have no idea why they decided to remove default maps entirely. Why not just port the ones present in the previous installments? Their style has always been a huge draw for me.
Probably due to the new terraforming

Mortmal

Arcane
But how could they find a better nation name to depict evilness and wickedness to the Dominion community than "Feminie"?

Andnjord

Arcane
Caved in, bought the game and got by face crumped by a gank squad of normal AI by around turn 30 as Tir na n'Og. It's not technically fully over but my main army got burned to cinders trying to storm Machaka's capital, Agartha just started sieging my capital, the war with Formoria is looking like it has no way of ending any time soon and Abyssia just declared war on me. Me thinks its fair that I'll just watch the Cool Codex Competition from the sidelines.

Never managed to get the Sidhe lords thugs up and running properly in any real numbers and the switch of air to glamour majorly threw me in a loop as I'm not quite sure how to handle this new magic school. Normaly I'd be able to have a Lightning Bolt battery by now, but that's not an option anymore. Finally, I kinda got fucked by spawing right in the middle of the map while all the AIs had their backs to one edge of the map or to the sea. Eventually they all declared war one by one.

It was pretty fun summoning masses of sacred dogs for dirt cheap though now that they cost only 5 glamour gems, made my probably terrible pretender almost work.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Glad to see the game still has the same issue for me it always had:

Once turns start to take 10+ minutes to do, it becomes annoying. Too much manual work.
Like the magic site searching. In theory, I suppose the "Search For Magic Sites (auto)" should automate that, but it simply doesn't work for me. Any mage I set to that will lose that order next turn and I'll just have to do it again... Where's my fire and forget site searcher?

Once you have 30+ provinces, doing a single turn just takes so long it starts to really bother me.

There's so much I wish the game would allow you to automate.
Sometimes, you find provinces with really good units (like those sacred amazons riding lizards) and would like to automatically ferry them regularly to your troop gathering castle. Like, select commander, have "transport troops" command with target... But nope, gotta do it all manually.

Or the impossibility to recruit research-slaves-mages with auto-equipped feathers (or lanterns or...). Having some way to select items a unit in production should equip once ready (if possible), with a message if that failed, wouldn't be hard to put into the game. But again, nope...

Or setting a default province defense each province should automatically be set to.

Or, or, or, ....

It's a shame. With the AI now supporting rudimentary diplomacy, the game has become much more enjoyable, as wars and fights are way less random/FFA.
But despite all of that, once a certain complexity is reached, shit takes forever.
What Dom 6 did, though, was push the point when that "stuff takes too long" situation is reached back further into the game than it used to be.
So definitely an improvement, but I wish it was even better than that.

Something else entirely:
I empowered my 5W4N pretender with 1S. But he still cannot forge the Moonvine Bracelet:
2AJ7J9J.png

The entire thing just doesn't show up in the forging list. And yes, I do have the required Construction level.

Any idea why? Is this a bug? Does empowering not count for forging? Is that a bug in dom6inspector and the item just doesn't really exist?
I can see it in the Construction 7 section in the Research screen, though, so it should exist.

Last edited:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
thesheeep you can report the auto-search and forging bugs to the steam forums bugs thread. Developers are very reactive.
Edit : well, just saw you were already there :)

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sometimes, you find provinces with really good units (like those sacred amazons riding lizards) and would like to automatically ferry them regularly to your troop gathering castle. Like, select commander, have "transport troops" command with target... But nope, gotta do it all manually.

Or the impossibility to recruit research-slaves-mages with auto-equipped feathers (or lanterns or...). Having some way to select items a unit in production should equip once ready (if possible), with a message if that failed, wouldn't be hard to put into the game. But again, nope...
Don't worry man, I'm sure they will add troop rally points by dominions 45 and maybe more basic automation by dominions 100. :M

Tried to play using blood magic and it still consists mostly of pain and suffering. You have to be extremely autistic to enjoy this gameplay of manually hunting and transporting slaves and simultaneously suppressing the population.
The series has stagnated past Dom 3. Dominions 6 is a good game, but they should have called it Dominions 3.5, no way those changes justify a price tag of 40€ and the name "Dominions 6", but since it's a niche game for a small audience they can get away with it.

Mortmal

Arcane

Don't worry man, I'm sure they will add troop rally points by dominions 45 and maybe more basic automation by dominions 100. :M

Tried to play using blood magic and it still consists mostly of pain and suffering. You have to be extremely autistic to enjoy this gameplay of manually hunting and transporting slaves and simultaneously suppressing the population.
The series has stagnated past Dom 3. Dominions 6 is a good game, but they should have called it Dominions 3.5, no way those changes justify a price tag of 40€ and the name "Dominions 6", but since it's a niche game for a small audience they can get away with it.
I hope I am wrong; it seems there's very little more this time, and the single-player experience isn't improved. You need patience for PBEM player games, which I do not have much of, alas. So, I am reluctant to put 37 euros into it; it seems not worth it.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I hope I am wrong; it seems there's very little more this time, and the single-player experience isn't improved. You need patience for PBEM player games, which I do not have much of, alas. So, I am reluctant to put 37 euros into it; it seems not worth it.
Yeah man, don't bother. 37€ for a game, 90% of which you already have in Dom 5.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
and the single-player experience isn't improved.
Rudimentary diplomacy alone makes the single-player experience much better.
Instead of fighting everyone at once at complete random, you can now act with some agency, and so does the AI from what I can tell.
But yes, apart from that I agree the changes seem more like a .5 upgrade, an overhaul of sorts. Not like a completely new game.

The "big changes" they praise on the store page are... odd:

Scaled up armies.
Okay, that's nice, having more of everything is nice, but... truth be told, it doesn't seem to affect how I'm playing in any way.
And the summons don't seem to be scaled up like the number of soldiers are, so that's odd.

One new magic path.
It's not bad, there are some nice spells, no doubt. As well as items. But overall I used a lot more earth and air than glamour as Vanheim.
In contrast to the other paths, glamour does not seem like a path that you could rely on exclusively. There isn't really much damage output, it's mostly just buffing/debuffing.

Separation of mounts and riders.
A welcome little tidbit of simulation, makes battles seem a bit more alive.
But again, this doesn't affect how I play at all.
Yet they are praising this as a "massive change". Huh?

And "some new nations", without even mentioning them on the store page :lol:

I mean, I like all the changes, all going in a good direction, IMO.
I can tell already I'll enjoy this more than Dom5.
But this is the first time for me playing a new Dominions that I feel like I'm playing just an upgrade of the previous one.
Why they don't lower the price for owners of the previous game(s) will forever remain a mystery to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom