Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dominions 6

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While that is lighter DRM than having to run steam every time you play the game, let's not pretend that is DRM free. If you have to install an entirely unrelated third party app in order to be able to play your game, then it is not DRM free.
The only difference to GOG is that you can download directly from the GOG website.
But you still need to log in to do that. It's still a management of digital rights.

So, go to website->log in->download as nifty installer and play later vs go to app->log in->download but have to create the zip/installer yourself to play later... Idk, man, I don't see a difference in the DRM-ness of it all, just in the ease of use.

The DRM part lies in the account/ownership checks happening allowing you to download.
Not in using a browser vs specific app (which, btw you don't need for Steam, either, there are API clients that let you download games from Steam, if I were to make a backup of all games I own on Steam, that's what I'd use).
If the app is required to even launch, then yes, sure, that's additional DRM, but for Dominions, that's not the case.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
While that is lighter DRM than having to run steam every time you play the game, let's not pretend that is DRM free. If you have to install an entirely unrelated third party app in order to be able to play your game, then it is not DRM free.
The only difference to GOG is that you can download directly from the GOG website.
But you still need to log in to do that. It's still a management of digital rights.

So, go to website->log in->download as nifty installer and play later vs go to app->log in->download but have to create the zip/installer yourself to play later... Idk, man, I don't see a difference in the DRM-ness of it all, just in the ease of use.

The DRM part lies in the account/ownership checks happening allowing you to download.
Not in using a browser vs specific app (which, btw you don't need for Steam, either, there are API clients that let you download games from Steam).

I already have web browsers that I want to have installed and use for other purposes, and I don't mind an online portal to purchase and download games. They need a way to collect my money and provide the game, and I prefer digital downloads as the way to get my games. I don't support piracy or pirate games.

What I don't want to have to do, and why I hate steam with the passion of 1000 suns, is I don't want to install an unnecessary and useless third party app to be able to play my games.

Think about how all the steamtards complain when a game is epic or origin exclusive. They are mad they have to install another useless and unnecessary third party application to be able to play their game, even though that is the very business model they have supported and ecnouraged. But then those same steamtards get all confused when people don't want to have to use steam for that same reason.

That has been my reaction from the first time I purchased a game, a game directly from a physical store, and when I got home it required me to install steam to even be able to install my game. That is still my reaction today.

Fuck that shit, Steam and that entire business model should die in a fire. I will probably be skipping Dominions 6 due to this, unless it becomes available somewhere where I don't have to install a useless third party app just to play it. Unless enough people that feel the same way I do, and there certainly are quite a few, vote with their wallets frequently enough it won't impact developer behavior. But if developers know they are leaving money on the table by being steam exclusive, more of them will provide DRM free options.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I don't want to have to do, and why I hate steam with the passion of 1000 suns, is I don't want to install an unnecessary and useless third party app to be able to play my games.

Think about how all the steamtards complain when a game is epic or origin exclusive. They are mad they have to install another useless and unnecessary third party application to be able to play their game, even though that is the very business model they have supported and ecnouraged. But then those same steamtards get all confused when people don't want to have to use steam for that same reason.

That has been my reaction from the first time I purchased a game, a game directly from a physical store, and when I got home it required me to install steam to even be able to install my game. That is still my reaction today.

Fuck that shit, Steam and that entire business model should die in a fire. I will probably be skipping Dominions 6 due to this, unless it becomes available somewhere where I don't have to install a useless third party app just to play it. Unless enough people that feel the same way I do, and there certainly are quite a few, vote with their wallets frequently enough, it won't impact developer behavior. But if developers know they are leaving money on the table by being steam exclusive, more of them will provide DRM free options.
That's all fine and dandy (and weird af, but whatever), but it doesn't make games on Steam that run without Steam any more DRM-reliant than what GOG does. Or any dev-website allowing you to purchase and download directly from them.

That's the point here, not people's odd hatred of using certain clients.
If I were a game dev, I'd try to offer another option as well, because I know there will always be people hating on client X or Y for one reason or the other. And similar to people preferring Linux native games to using Proton, these people tend to reward going that extra mile.

In the end, though, 99% of people just want to play the game (which is what gaming is about, not how you get there), so making the conscious decision to not go the extra mile won't make or break any dev.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
The model is wack to be fair. No one's questionning it apparently, because this is a niche and unique series, but yeah, this is just some kind of full priced patch. It is insane when you think about it, but I guess no one is. Should be some serious price reduction for owners of the previous games or something.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Fuck that shit, Steam and that entire business model should die in a fire. I will probably be skipping Dominions 6 due to this, unless it becomes available somewhere where I don't have to install a useless third party app just to play it. Unless enough people that feel the same way I do, and there certainly are quite a few, vote with their wallets frequently enough, it won't impact developer behavior. But if developers know they are leaving money on the table by being steam exclusive, more of them will provide DRM free options.
That's all fine and dandy (and weird af, but whatever), but it doesn't make games on Steam that run without Steam any more DRM-reliant than what GOG does. Or any dev-website allowing you to purchase and download directly from them.

That's the point here, not people's odd hatred of using certain clients.
If I were a game dev, I'd try to offer another option as well, because I know there will always be people hating on client X or Y for one reason or the other. And similar to people preferring Linux native games to using Proton, these people tend to reward going that extra mile.

In the end, though, 99% of people just want to play the game (which is what gaming is about, not how you get there), so making the conscious decision to not go the extra mile won't make or break any dev.

No, making your own proprietary app that people have to download and install is definitely different than just having a website. A browser is not a client.

Browsers are standard applications that everyone already has and use to access most internet content. Steam is a useless third party proprietary app. Forcing people to use steam is not the same thing as offering a product for digital download via the internet using the normal and standard means that people use to access the internet. It isn't honest to try and act like they are the same thing.

Steam is DRM, even if the game doesn't use steam DRM or whatever, because steam itself is.

An online portal is DRM free as long as the game has no DRM. That is just the way they make it available to you using the standard method of interacting with internet content.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
How is SP? The reviews are mixed. Some say it's a significant improvement, the others say not to bother with this one if you want SP, as AI is still retarded.

Also we don't get dwarves, but get this:
1705593921936.png

Wtf?

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Are we going to a have a KKkodex dom6 game? I didn't miss signup did I?
The model is wack to be fair. No one's questionning it apparently, because this is a niche and unique series, but yeah, this is just some kind of full priced patch. It is insane when you think about it, but I guess no one is. Should be some serious price reduction for owners of the previous games or something.
If they can spend years releasing free patches (including new nations) for dom5, I can pay for one of the bigger patches every 6 years or so

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
How is SP? The reviews are mixed. Some say it's a significant improvement, the others say not to bother with this one if you want SP, as AI is still retarded.

Also we don't get dwarves, but get this:

Wtf?
I've heard the AI was actually better. But I think it's fair to say it will not be a complete revolution and that the AI will still be an AI.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
A browser is not a client.
Of course it is.
That's even exactly what it is called in the software world (well, one of the things it is called). The browser is the client that enables you to browse websites.
You cannot do that using only your OS.

Steam is a useless third party proprietary app.
Useless? Hmmm...
Steam allows me to:
  1. Have all my games, including non-Steam games, accessible via the same software.
  2. Easily access mods for games that support them.
  3. Launch any Windows game right through Proton on Linux with ease.
  4. Rebind controllers entirely on a global or per-game basis.
  5. Buy games.
  6. Have an in-game browser I regularly use for guides, etc.
  7. Stream to my Deck (and vice versa).
  8. Do many, many more things that go way beyond "storefront to buy and download games", many of which a website could never replicate.
Now, obviously, it is not the only software that can do these things, and some specialized software might beat it in one regard or the other.
But to my knowledge, it is the ONLY client offering ALL of these features in a convenient package. That's one of the reasons for Steam's de facto monopoly.

It's one thing to get your panties in a twist about DRM and ownership, but to call Steam useless is just completely braindead. If it was useless to them, people wouldn't be using it. Duh?

Steam is DRM, even if the game doesn't use steam DRM or whatever, because steam itself is.
Yes, it is.
In the same way GOG or any other service with any kind of account/ownership management is.
That's just the way it is, I'm not making up the definitions here.
You know what DRM stands for, right? Anything that does that, has DRM. A store without DRM wouldn't even work.

With any software you buy, digitally or not, you never technically own the software, either. Always just the copy that you have (be it physical or not), while using the software is always just a license. GOG is no different in this regard.
People sometimes helplessly struggle and say Steam can just take all your games away. Well, guess what? So can GOG.
In both cases you'd only be safe if you made a backup beforehand (plus in Steam's case applied some cracks).

GOG is less restrictive, but DRM nonetheless.
If you download something from a website through a browser called Chrome or through a browser called Steam that only lets to you go to Valve's own websites and has some other features, that is an insanely pedantic distinction.

The only really dumb thing is to expect the AI in this game to ever be on par with a good player.
It's already a significant step up that you can have the most rudimentary of diplomacy with it.
One miracle at a time.

Last edited:

JBro

Arbiter
Idk how to play this shit. I found the skellington faction in the middle age and I've just been steamrolling independents with my brute force undead retards with no tactics whatsoever. I keep getting random captains popping up but I dont do anything with them because they can't research.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Idk how to play this shit. I found the skellington faction in the middle age and I've just been steamrolling independents with my brute force undead retards with no tactics whatsoever. I keep getting random captains popping up but I dont do anything with them because they can't research.
Independent province defenses can throw you curveballs sometimes, but are generally easily dealt with.
Have you encountered an actual enemy yet, as in a proper enemy faction?

Anyway, early game you can get away with just brute forcing basic armies.
But the longer the game progresses, the more reliance on magic, artifacts, etc. creeps into the game. At that point, just massing basic brutes won't do it any more, with some spells/artifacts/blessed units killing a dozen of them just as easily as 300 or more.

JBro

Arbiter
No, not yet. I've restarted a few times dicking around with some factions.

One thing I really don't know is the pacing of how each single turn is supposed to go. How much should I be recruiting, how many captains should I have at each point, how many armies should I field with my captains ect.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

One thing I really don't know is the pacing of how each single turn is supposed to go. How much should I be recruiting, how many captains should I have at each point, how many armies should I field with my captains ect.
Good luck with that, it's going to be different for every nation and for every pretender even.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

You want as many mages as possible always.

You only want as many commanders and troops as you need to expand/hold your land/wage war.

Johannes

Arcane

Good luck with that, it's going to be different for every nation and for every pretender even.
Not that different for most, but MA Ermor is one of the most different ones there is. And it's a ton about just brute forcing with the undead hordes, and lots of summoning of the sacreds probably.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Im checking the changes and legitimately cant understand most of them. They nerfed popular spells but didnt change summon scaling despite new design philosophy? Weird

I think the idea was to encourage battles with lots of bodies in them. So, what they might've wanted to go for was making going for an early EQ or FV a bit more difficult, while keeping the summons as they are to get some of this hot human on beast action.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I have no idea why they decided to remove default maps entirely. Why not just port the ones present in the previous installments? Their style has always been a huge draw for me.

I think I like the new bless point system? The points are now interchangeable between paths, although the path still needs to be high enough for you to grab the more powerful blesses.

AI doesn't really feel any smarter, although I've been mostly re-learning expansion strats and didn't get into any big battles yet.

Feels that with the introduction of the rider/ mount split, we can get some fun morale/MR-based strats to deal with cavalry. I wonder if you can charm a mount from under a knight?

Excited to see a central dom6 games server. I'm fully expecting something to break there at some point, but it's still nice. I'm wondering if Illwinter will at some point introduce a word filter to game names - as is some of them are a treasure.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Excited to see a central dom6 games server. I'm fully expecting something to break there at some point, but it's still nice. I'm wondering if Illwinter will at some point introduce a word filter to game names - as is some of them are a treasure.
The number of games started is also consequent. Does anyone know if how successful is the launch ? From the Steam forum there seems to be lot of newcomers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom