Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Semiurge

Cipher

even resetera disliked it...

Every single Witcher game is superior in every aspect to what Bioware has produced in the recent years. I still remember the mindblowing tutorial quests of Witcher 2, by the time you reach the King Foltest's war party you've seen some great visuals already (in and outside the tent), and then the sheer mastery of art style, facial animation, voice delivery and music blows you away. Witcher 2 isn't remembered for its mechanics, but instead for its consummate storytelling through dialogue and visuals. It's 'cinematic' done right. This was 13 years ago, and Witcher 2 is the most "Biowarian" game CD Projekt RED have produced.

absolutely. might not be the best game overall (even though i also thought it has one of the best armor designs in such settings), but they just nailed what it is about, when you are focusing on narrative - which might be to your liking or not.

There are a lot of things about Witcher 2 that are heretical in principle, one is the americanisation. You have your trend-chasing in the form of stylised animated cutscenes that inform the player of the lore, Geralt's memories and past events. And of course the lack of anything particularly slavic. The game begins like a fantasy action movie or an episode of GoT. All of these would normally be the telltale signs of an impending disaster, but the game works despite of them because you have real talent behind these changes. Even Witcher 3, when trimmed of all the open-world fat, is a solid game.

All the people who could've theoretically reached the same high point have left Bioware decades ago, and have been replaced by hacks who never earned their places. They just happened to have the right opinions, the right junk, or the right skin color.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
1. The active party has been reduced to 3 characters.

2. Commands are given to your companions via an "action wheel".

3. All joinable NPCs are romanceable.

:timetoburn:
Conversation replies have been reduced to a simple YES/NO in order not to confuse the gamer.
YES/NO/FUNNY
Giving commands through a wheel has been reported from multiple sources. Have you read otherwise?

Semiurge

Cipher
Firefly > Buffy imho. A real travesty that the series got canceled before it could develop from the more episodic nature of the season we did get, esp. considering how good the main cast synergy was.
Firefly is just a shitty Cowboy Bebop/Blake's 7 rip-off. It was canceled because it was cringe and boring.
Firefly is cringey on rewatch: all characters have same snark remarks that substitute for character, which Marvel made caricature of later.
Buffy is the same, proto-girlboss-ya-slay-queen attitude that is unwatchable.
Both series were first manifestations of rot that will became modern entertainment.

Buffy just keeps getting better through every rewatch because of the great character writing. They have real depth and believable motivations. It's only during the last two seasons that it gets numbing. Whatever you may think at first, Buffy is not just a show for dumb teens.

Sneak Peak. (Voiced protagonist confirmed)

The place looks bland and uninteresting as fuck. The neon-light looking "magic" shit everywhere just makes it worse.

They have bad taste.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron

There's nothing about that that doesn't annoy me, from the protagonist's voice to the design of Minrathous to the further confirmation that they're dragging Varric back yet again despite the fact closing his arc by making him Viscount of Kirkwall was one of the few things Inquisition/ Trespasser got right.

Varric killed his own brother, how do you go from that making him pose as the happy go lucky marvelite quip spewing character

9ted6

Educated

Wow, it looks, sounds and probably feels like digitzed feces.
even resetera disliked it...

bHCcTbM.png

If even retardera disliked, there is anyone who likes it?
Retardera is literally their core and target audience. If they hate it then Bioware really is doomed.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DA:O's darkspawn looked like they have a certain level of intelligence, partly human-like, while DA2's were very feral, like animals. I don't care enough to have head canon, but I'm going to do Bioware's writers a favor and say darkspawn are mostly feral unless they are being commanded by an Archdemon. Actually, no, Bioware owe me money for that idea.

In DA2 Darkspawn looked and behaved like villain's minions from Power Ranger show.

fdde2a3b8a447ee99e172d5eb3b393ce.jpg

ropetight

Savant
Buffy just keeps getting better through every rewatch because of the great character writing. They have real depth and believable motivations. It's only during the last two seasons that it gets numbing. Whatever you may think at first, Buffy is not just a show for dumb teens.
Buffy is more bearable in the moments, because Whedon still hasn't perfected the obnoxious "one-liner" formula (which he borrowed from Spiderman comics), and it had bunch of time to make some character building.
But it is also incredibly boring and full of forced emotional discharge.
It also introduced/legitimized 90-pound-chick-steven-seagal, girl bossing, manic pixie girls and men being clumsy, harmless buffons (then you make special episode in which tehy are shown as more than they arein the rest of the whow ) if they are not fuck-targets of main character.
It was sugarcoated with some hot chicks to mask that it is basically chick-flick that was targeted, at least partially, at men.

Just remove hot chicks from Buffy and double-down on propaganda, and you basically get any Disney/nuTrek/CW garbage.

Froila

Educated
Firefly > Buffy imho. A real travesty that the series got canceled before it could develop from the more episodic nature of the season we did get, esp. considering how good the main cast synergy was.
Firefly is just a shitty Cowboy Bebop/Blake's 7 rip-off. It was canceled because it was cringe and boring.
Firefly is cringey on rewatch: all characters have same snark remarks that substitute for character, which Marvel made caricature of later.
Buffy is the same, proto-girlboss-ya-slay-queen attitude that is unwatchable.
Both series were first manifestations of rot that will became modern entertainment.

The place looks bland and uninteresting as fuck. The neon-light looking "magic" shit everywhere just makes it worse.

They have bad taste.

I appreciate what was good in Buffy/Firefly. But I have reasons to dislike them.

They had likable and believable characters - who also were unique snowflakes without any development.
The dialogues were filled with funny and snarky onliners - but they were lacking in variety and there were nothing apart from them.
The plot has intrigue - but its development was bland.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
It looks fine. I hated Inquisition. DAO was also a huge disappointment. DA2 was good for what it was, it's the only dragon age where combat feels good, it's too bad they didn't have the time to put in the same amount of work they did for all the other games, DA2 with more content and environments would could have been a top tier RPG. Then again, if they had had the time they might have focused on stupid bullshit and pulled out another Origin or Inquisition. Either way, I hope they stop trying to do "tactical combat" because they obv can't, and just focus on good action combat with light tactical elements instead.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I really don't know what everyone was expecting.

1. BioWare

2. 2024

3. Been ten years since the last DA and that was Inquisition.

4. Andromeda and Anthem.

Did no one mention that even David Gaidar passive-aggressively took shots at the game?

1718040346911.png

I 10000% expected this to be the most horrible shit you've ever seen in a video game and so did most other people. As for people who are really deep into BioWare romances, they probably would've been satisfied with a visual novel.

I have never seen a group of individuals so desperate for connection that they will latch on blindly to these half-baked digital constructs, and that's coming from me.

BioWare is dead. It was good while it lasted (kinda). I'll pour one out for the homies, but it's joever.

Vyvian

Educated
Unironically I think DAV will be a success. And this will be very bad for the RPG genre and gaming in general.
I agree. It has the feel around it that people are gonna buy it in large numbers despite its quality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom