Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Thats what Im wondering! I havent been able to understand why they are even ON this queer agenda strategy, unless everyone jumped on the bandwagon like a fad half a decade ago and now regrets their life choices. I figure it must have had some level of profit projection or we would still be seeing chainmail bikinis etc. It could destroy entire studios when the counter culture finally has its day.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So, he's really excited for Kingdom Come 2. He's the next generation, the modern audience, a kid, but he's never talking about the new BioWare game, doesn't want it, and doesn't want the Starfield DLC either.

Current media doesn't want to chase the modern audience, they want to produce it. That's why instead of doing cool shit, media now is creatively bankrupt brain rot that somehow has the gall to be moralizing at the same time.

The ideal modern audience is one that consumes the slop 24/7, maintained by the constant vigilance of censorship squads such as... locking objectively correct statements on their steam forums. :-D

1724102955188.png

So, he's really excited for Kingdom Come 2. He's the next generation, the modern audience, a kid, but he's never talking about the new BioWare game, doesn't want it, and doesn't want the Starfield DLC either. I’m clearly not the audience for BioWare games anymore,i am clearly not the audience for the entertainement industry for like a decade now , but the new generation isn’t either. So do they expect to make up $200 million by catering to reddit Veilguard queer fans alone?
I've mentioned it many times but it bears repeating:

nuBioWare (and similar AAA slop) is not something zoomers and especially the younger ones care about. Western RPGs in general aren't the biggest considering PC explosion only came as a result of COVID and using that as their social time.

AAA slop is directly geared towards millennial consumers who eat up any geeky shit they like, spend the most money, etc.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
So, he's really excited for Kingdom Come 2. He's the next generation, the modern audience, a kid, but he's never talking about the new BioWare game, doesn't want it, and doesn't want the Starfield DLC either.

Current media doesn't want to chase the modern audience, they want to produce it. That's why instead of doing cool shit, media now is creatively bankrupt brain rot that somehow has the gall to be moralizing at the same time.

The ideal modern audience is one that consumes the slop 24/7, maintained by the constant vigilance of censorship squads such as... locking objectively correct statements on their steam forums. :-D

View attachment 54008
While its true that life imitates art more than the reverse these past couple decades (ish) you have to be a fairly powerful player to run with it (like Disney). I dont know if its the same for most game devs but maybe they just read the room wrong and thought this was an actual trend rather than a forced and funded agenda.

The way to do it would have been to make a full on tits and ass game and I guess Conan Exiles played the right cards as did Stellar Blade. As, I suppose, did you, Tyranicon. Shame your just a small studio of one theres probably some fairly decent scaling projections for your direction. Ever need a hand Ive done narrative consultancy, v/o and marketing before should have a chat one day if you ever get to grow the studio. Good luck with it as always.

Elttharion

Learned
Thats the consequence of the vast majority of devs living in liberal ideological bubbles and the systematic purge of conservatives and rightists in game studios that happened over the last decade. There is no balancing opinion, you either keep your head down or you risk getting kicked of your own studio. The Tripwire founder and CEO had to resign when he said in the most candid and mild way that he was in favor of an abortion ban when, iirc Texas, signed a law restricting access to it. The entire media, other devs and studio leads, support partners and publishers said they would boycott the studio unless he stepped down and quit his position.

The creator of FNAF had to quit the series for a time when people discovered he made donations to republicans. He resigned when people started sending death threats to his pregnant wife.

Etc.

The vast majority of them are in full support of globohomo.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I got my first death threat on Habbo Hotel at 11 or 12 years old and since then I've received around 80,000 online death threats which have resulted in 0 attempts being made on my life so far. With ratios like this, I don't wanna hear any sympathy fishing regarding online threats unless there are resulting stab wounds or bullet holes.

There's some stiff competition out there. Bethesda deserve credit for taking 15+ years to release a follow-up to Skyrim.
There were five years between Oblivion and Skyrim. Upwards of fifteen between Skyrim and 6. That's a three-times multiplier. Ergo, Elder Scrolls 7 will release 45 years after 6

GTA6 skipped generations of possible release platforms too. Generally, dev cycles that used to be the cause of mockery and Duke Nukem forever jokes have become the bare minimum.

MS, Sony and Nvidia are doing miracles to sell their crap. Nvidia even moreso, considering that GPU prices have multiplied during that time. 200 bucks could net you a hugely decent mid-range card when Skyrim came out (everything playable on high details with that). I actually played that on a 70 Dollar GPU, no kidding. By the time TES 6 is due, just in time for kids born on 11-11-11 getting their driver's licenses, there's not gonna be any halfway gameable GPU below 400. What for though?

Physical correctness and the never ending hunt for pixel perfection. Entire task forces dedicating years of their lifes on so that your in-game feet are not sliding on the floor. On horse testicles shrinking in the cold. And on every character having the nose hair blowing in the wind. That's NextGen, baby: The more you buy, the less you game.

Last edited:
According to Steamdb, Veilgourd is 62 on the current top-selling list (right behind Battlefield V and above Alien: Isolation lol), and 43rd most wishlisted.
Really curious what's happening at the Bioware HQ right now. Imagine the meltdown :)

I’d imagine the meltdowns started when they started seeing Baldur's Gate 3 sales numbers and remembered they were making a third person action game with really shitty combat.

There's some stiff competition out there. Bethesda deserve credit for taking 15+ years to release a follow-up to Skyrim.
There were five years between Oblivion and Skyrim. Upwards of fifteen between Skyrim and 6. That's a three-times multiplier. Ergo, Elder Scrolls 7 will release 45 years after 6

GTA6 skipped generations of possible release platforms too. Generally, dev cycles that used to be the cause of mockery and Duke Nukem forever jokes have become the bare minimum.

MS, Sony and Nvidia are doing miracles to sell their crap. Nvidia even moreso, considering that GPU prices have multiplied during that time. 200 bucks could net you a hugely decent mid-range card when Skyrim came out (everything playable on high details with that). I actually played that on a 70 Dollar GPU, no kidding. By the time TES 6 is due, just in time for kids born on 11-11-11 getting their driver's licenses, there's not gonna be any halfway gameable GPU below 400. What for though?

Physical correctness and the never ending hunt for pixel perfection. Entire task forces dedicating years of their lifes on so that your in-game feet are not sliding on the floor. On horse testicles shrinking in the cold. And on every character having the nose hair blowing in the wind. That's NextGen, baby: The more you buy, the less you game.

You can’t compare something like GTA6 taking forever to come out and a game like Duke Nukem Forever taking forever to come out. Duke Nukem Forever took forever because 3D Realms stupidly kept switching engines and making the game over and over again. GTA6 has taken forever because Rockstar switched their priorities over from single player games to online multiplayer games, and have been making new content for the GTA Online part of GTA5 for the last decade. GTA6 also didn’t skip generations, it skipped a generation, (which is still crazy and stupid) but it’s coming out next year on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S; GTA5 originally came out on 360 and PS3.

Although it’s probably a little stupid they’ve taken so long to release a new GTA, given the release of the new game is when they make the most money, and they could’ve kept doing that every four years and make a few billion with every new release.

Even Bethesda isn’t really the same deal. Sure they’re going to stupidly allowed more than 13 years go by without a new Elder Scrolls game, but they did release games between now and Skyrim, and all their games are some different flavor of Elder Scrolls. Although if they were smart they would’ve just expanded to get games out faster, or contracted work out to other studios to do stuff like New Vegas.

You can’t compare something like GTA6 taking forever to come out and a game like Duke Nukem Forever taking forever to come out.

The point was that 4-6 years of dev cycles have become the norm for blockbuster games. That used to be a cause of mockery (and Duke jokes) not that long ago. Unless those studios overhaul how they handle things, the rate at which big franchises are going to be served is gonna stay that way -- maybe become even slower. E.g. Bethesda letting Obsidian do spin-offs, whilst they're developing a main-line TES, Fallout, whatever. Kind of like how Call Of Duty has been doing it all along, with several studios taking turns.

As you argued, it's not that Bethesda et all didn't do anything. They released several games... only that, they've taken longer and longer to make it over the finish line. It's crazy looking at the output of individual studios as well as the blockbusting video game space as a whole from 20-25 years ago. If this would continue that way, MS, Nvidia et all would have a hell of a job to do to sell their hardware in another 25 years.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You can’t compare something like GTA6 taking forever to come out and a game like Duke Nukem Forever taking forever to come out. Duke Nukem Forever took forever because 3D Realms stupidly kept switching engines and making the game over and over again. GTA6 has taken forever because Rockstar switched their priorities over from single player games to online multiplayer games, and have been making new content for the GTA Online part of GTA5 for the last decade. GTA6 also didn’t skip generations, it skipped a generation, (which is still crazy and stupid) but it’s coming out next year on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S; GTA5 originally came out on 360 and PS3.

Although it’s probably a little stupid they’ve taken so long to release a new GTA, given the release of the new game is when they make the most money, and they could’ve kept doing that every four years and make a few billion with every new release.

Even Bethesda isn’t really the same deal. Sure they’re going to stupidly allowed more than 13 years go by without a new Elder Scrolls game, but they did release games between now and Skyrim, and all their games are some different flavor of Elder Scrolls. Although if they were smart they would’ve just expanded to get games out faster, or contracted work out to other studios to do stuff like New Vegas.
GTA3 - 2001
Vice City - 2002
San Andreas - 2004
Bully - 2006
GTA4 - 2008
Red Dead Redemption - 2010
GTA5 - 2013
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 2018

And nothing since. Rockstar aren't unusual in this regard. All AAA studios are much slower than they used to be, with more employees than they used to have, making worse games than they used to, and charging more money for them. I'm waiting for Elon Musk to buy the industry and fire the 80% dead weight.

GTA3 - 2001
Vice City - 2002
San Andreas - 2004
Bully - 2006
GTA4 - 2008
Red Dead Redemption - 2010
GTA5 - 2013
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 2018

And nothing since. Rockstar aren't unusual in this regard. All AAA studios are much slower than they used to be, with more employees than they used to have, making worse games than they used to, and charging more money for them. I'm waiting for Elon Musk to buy the industry and fire the 80% dead weight.

Like I said, the difference between the Rockstar example and Duke Nukem Forever is what the studios were doing in that time. Rockstar isn’t taking all that time because that’s just how long it takes them to make a new game now. Rockstar have been making new things for GTA Online for the last ten years because GTA Online keeps generating money for them, I look at the wiki page for that game and it says they’ve released 43 different updates since it’s been out. Duke Nukem Forever didn’t take 14 years to come out because 3D Realms was too busy making tons of money doing Duke Nukem 3D add-ons for a decade.

Personally I think it’s stupid they’ve put so much stock in the online aspect of their games that they’re forgoing new single play game (which they make billions on) in lieu of Online, but clearly with Rockstar there was a priority shift away from new single player games and towards making new content for their Online games. Red Dead Online bombed for them despite Red Dead Redemption 2 being huge, so maybe in the future they won’t spend so much time and money on Online outside of GTA.

COVID also pushed every game’s development back. If COVID hadn’t happened GTA6 would already be out. That pre Covid Capcom leak schedule gives some good insight into how Covid fucked with games development; Capcom was originally looking at 2022 for the release of Dragon’s Dogma 2, (DD2 came out this year) and 2023 for Monster Hunter Wilds which comes out next year.

The funny thing with Rockstar is they could probably be releasing smaller GTA games without some big GTA Online aspect, and by smaller I mean GTA4, every three to four years (GTA4 took three years and five months to make) and pull in a couple billion on those on release while still making half a billion on GTA Online every year. Then they could take all the new guns and car models they made for the new GTA (maybe even the new city) and add it into Online in some update so the new thing was also feeding into the Online ecosystem.

Falksi

Arcane
An example of the typical far leftist retards which this game is geared towards...

iTbhu7Y.png

Good luck getting money from those too brain dead to earn a penny.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher

View attachment 54008

The female human, elf or dwarf companions are more plain than ugly, which still can't be justified in a game with such cartoony graphics. 'Ugly' would be something along Nosferatu levels. I don't intend to defend political uglification of female characters which permeates almost every western game now, but I also can't help but to feel that some of the critics have been spoiled by those ultra-stylised oriental games, and because of that they have this very rigid scale of aesthetics in their minds. "Anime brain rot" is the TV equivalent of this, which you could perhaps call "K-game brain rot". The 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie got some flak for making major Motoko look ugly and masculine, but I heard it's because the animators actually tried to imitate the "realism" of western adult-oriented animation.

Elttharion

Learned

View attachment 54008

The female human, elf or dwarf companions are more plain than ugly, which still can't be justified in a game with such cartoony graphics. 'Ugly' would be something along Nosferatu levels. I don't intend to defend political uglification of female characters which permeates almost every western game now, but I also can't help but to feel that some of the critics have been spoiled by those ultra-stylised oriental games, and because of that they have this very rigid scale of aesthetics in their minds. "Anime brain rot" is the TV equivalent of this, which you could perhaps call "K-game brain rot". The 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie got some flak for making major Motoko look ugly and masculine, but I heard it's because the animators actually tried to imitate the "realism" of western adult-oriented animation.
some-bellara-appreciation-post-looking-great-v0-kmnu942are6d1.png

Descubra-Bellara-Lutara-em-Dragon-Age-The-Veilguard.jpg

BB1ob6F4.img

spoilers-veilguard-speculation-about-neve-gallus-v0-y3ev7re14t6d1.png

The elf isnt THAT bad but the human looks like a trannie mate

Semiurge

Cipher

View attachment 54008

BB1ob6F4.img

Basic oriental and indian bitches.

Mortmal

Arcane

View attachment 54008

BB1ob6F4.img

It's not just that they're plain; that's already a problem since they refuse to cater to what their customers want. The bigger issue is the new trend of ham-fisted, forced diversity into traditionally Nordic-inspired, Tolkien-esque creatures like elves with their ethereal magic and distinct culture. They're trying to erase classic depictions, and what we get instead is a plain Asian girl with pointy ears or, more often, an African with pointy ears. They aren't producing anything of worth, so they take every opportunity to tarnish well-known, popular classics.
The same thing happens with orcs. They’ve gone from being monsters symbolizing the ravages of industry—murderous, destructive, and rapists—to being portrayed as ethnic humans with tusks, bound by honor and tribal traditions.

Semiurge

Cipher

View attachment 54008

BB1ob6F4.img

It's not just that they're plain; that's already a problem since they refuse to cater to what their customers want. The bigger issue is the new trend of ham-fisted, forced diversity into traditionally Nordic-inspired, Tolkien-esque creatures like elves with their ethereal magic and distinct culture. They're trying to erase classic depictions, and what we get instead is a plain Asian girl with pointy ears or, more often, an African with pointy ears. They aren't producing anything of worth, so they take every opportunity to tarnish well-known, popular classics.
The same thing happens with orcs. They’ve gone from being monsters symbolizing the ravages of industry—murderous, destructive, and rapists—to being portrayed as ethnic humans with tusks, bound by honor and tribal traditions.

It's the same thing as the vilification of the old world order where individual, different nations create a whole that is diverse because of its individual, distinct nations. Now every nation must have the same diversity of different ethnicities and religions as the old whole used to have. This diversity division can't bear fruit the old way, for each of those different nations and organisations had a chance at being strong on their own - because of their uniqueness and internal cohesion created by like-minded people. The new way ensures that everything is the same everywhere, the division permeates every layer of society. Everything is poisoned with it, and nothing works because the distinctly different are forced to co-exist in the same regions and spaces. Only poor compromises can be reached thanks to the vigilance of the iron fist globalist establishment, and nothing good will ever come of this new world order.

These games are part of the propaganda that means to normalise this kind of global atomisation and slavery.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom