Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Everyone knows the proper power progression for barbarians warriors is not particle effect nonsense or anime bullshit, but just hitting harder.

Anything that looks badass is also acceptable.

Camel

Scholar
The game shows mob's resistances and vulnerabilities instead of forcing the player to at least consult a bestiary/codex. :majordecline:
GaacwcR.jpeg

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Everyone knows the proper power progression for barbarians warriors is not particle effect nonsense or anime bullshit, but just hitting harder.

Anything that looks badass is also acceptable.
It feels really good when you hit level 7 and get an extra half ApR.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Did the veil going to shit made everyone and their mother into mages? The ultimate from warrior is a bunch of nagical arrows with meteor coming down. Like wtf
I noticed that too. Remember the good old days when your Warden just ran up to whatever eldritch abomination he was fighting and smacked it to death with a regular sword?

YOP65C9.png
I legitimately like playing a dumb melee fighter who just pummels everything to death. You could do that in old RPGs and it was fun. I'm not sure when it happened, but I noticed it with PoE: everything has to have a bunch of active abilities now. Modern Fighters are just a different flavor of Mage.
I too have noticed this and its really annoying. Everything has to have flashy vfx on it even on what is supposed to be just a warrior, really annoying and lazy way to try to make a class 'appealing'. Proper way would be to have the start off with only basic attacks/animations, but give them increasingly complex and technical animations showing them becoming masters of their fighting style. On top of just become fast and strong of course. But of course thats more work than just slapping some shitty shinies on everything, so of course a shit dev like shitware wouldn't dream of doing such a thing.

Ryzer

Arcane
I remember buying everquest 2 on release day and they actually had a section in the manual trying to explain why warriors had mana bars now. That was like 2006 or something, may be a significant event in the ruination of melee fighters.
Maybe because the warrior usually had the most boring gameplay in existance and instead of thinking about making it fun they just turned it into a mage, which actually involved thinking.

Old Hans

Arcane
but I noticed it with PoE: everything has to have a bunch of active abilities now. Modern Fighters are just a different flavor of Mage.
these types of things always stem from a problem that groups of internet people complained about at some point. probably started back during baldurs gate with endless complaints that fighters were boring, and the devs listened, and here we are

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
probably started back during baldurs gate with endless complaints that fighters were boring
Because they were. Fighters were a class that you never needed to play as, because all they did was walk up to an enemy and use the default attack.

Later on, devs finally realized that things like martial arts and sword-fighting techniques exist, and added abilities for warrior classes, so it's not just a guy that leftclicks on the enemy until it dies. Some did a better job than others.

Old Hans

Arcane
probably started back during baldurs gate with endless complaints that fighters were boring
Because they were. Fighters were a class that you never needed to play as, because all they did was walk up to an enemy and use the default attack.

Later on, devs finally realized that things like martial arts and sword-fighting techniques exist, and added abilities for warrior classes, so it's not just a guy that leftclicks on the enemy until it dies. Some did a better job than others.
I loved my baldur's gate 2 fighter. He duel wielded flails. he didnt need silly Bravosi fencing techniques or Karate!

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot

I loved my baldur's gate 2 fighter. He duel wielded flails. he didnt need silly Bravosi fencing techniques or Karate!
The games who got it right were the ones who understood that a fighter's abilities are meant to empower/complement his main attack, instead of replacing it. With a mage, it should be pretty much the opposite. Fairly simple principle, tbh.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I too have noticed this and its really annoying. Everything has to have flashy vfx on it even on what is supposed to be just a warrior, really annoying and lazy way to try to make a class 'appealing'. Proper way would be to have the start off with only basic attacks/animations, but give them increasingly complex and technical animations showing them becoming masters of their fighting style. On top of just become fast and strong of course.
Dragon's Dogma has fighter and warrior roles classes vocations with abilities skills that are actual physical attacks, without particle effects or other silliness, and these concepts are maintained in the sequel, where the fighter and warrior vocations have similar physical attack abilities. For that matter, the strider and ranger vocations in the first game or the archer and thief vocations in the second game aren't too different in this regard.

tLDml7W.png

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Dragon Age: The Veilguard is getting a prequel in the form of an audio drama podcast​

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/d...requel-in-the-form-of-an-audio-drama-podcast/

If you've ever heard the old radio dramas based on Sherlock Holmes stories you'll know the joy of listening to actors crisply enunciate a conversation while accompanied by a soundscape of footsteps crunching on gravel. Expect something similar except with more arrows twanging and spells being whooshy in Dragon Age: Vows & Vengeance, an audio drama in podcast form being produced as part of the build-up to Dragon Age: The Veilguard.

A prequel to the game's story, Vows & Vengeance is about a retired thief searching for her lover in the Fade, with seven of the series' eight episodes also highlighting a guest star companion from the videogame. Harding, for instance, the much-loved dwarf scout from Inquisition, will co-star in episode two. Based on the teaser, we can expect to hear characters like Solas and Varric pop up as well....

Silvanus

Novice
"High level" warrior gameplay. Also some spoilers in this video not that anybody cares about the lore of the setting anymore but it looks like Archdemons are now simply pets of the elven gods, as if the elf wank in this setting couldn't get any more obnoxious.

Who is this actually meant to appeal to? The people who want flashy action game combat are going to hate constantly pausing to select abilities and the people who want tactical combat aren't interested in playing Fortnite: Thedas.

Call me schizo, but I sense some botting in the comments here. Here are two comments posted at the same time, with the same format and content.

Screenshot-2024-08-25-09-40-06.png

Screenshot-2024-08-25-09-40-34.png

Beyond that there's plenty of highly generic "This looks awesome/great/cool", "I couldn't be more excited/hyped/pumped" and "Warrior looks so much more fun now!" type comments. I get that any loyal fans that Bioware still has are NPCs, but I don't think they're lacking sentience to this degree. This seems like a general pattern with Veilguard videos starting with the August 15 release date trailer, following the overwhelming criticism on both the official reveal and the June gameplay trailer. It seems a little unbelievable to me that the reception of these videos would do a complete 180 despite nothing changing.

But anyway, I'm probably just being too optimistic about the capacity of the modern Bioware fan to pass the Turing test.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Beyond that there's plenty of highly generic "This looks awesome/great/cool", "I couldn't be more excited/hyped/pumped" and "Warrior looks so much more fun now!" type comments. I get that any loyal fans that Bioware still has are NPCs, but I don't think they're lacking sentience to this degree. This seems like a general pattern with Veilguard videos starting with the August 15 release date trailer, following the overwhelming criticism on both the official reveal and the June gameplay trailer. It seems a little unbelievable to me that the reception of these videos would do a complete 180 despite nothing changing.

But anyway, I'm probably just being too optimistic about the capacity of the modern Bioware fan to pass the Turing test.
They're single cell life forms. Their IQ is probably still in the ocean.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I too have noticed this and its really annoying. Everything has to have flashy vfx on it even on what is supposed to be just a warrior, really annoying and lazy way to try to make a class 'appealing'. Proper way would be to have the start off with only basic attacks/animations, but give them increasingly complex and technical animations showing them becoming masters of their fighting style. On top of just become fast and strong of course.
Dragon's Dogma has fighter and warrior roles classes vocations with abilities skills that are actual physical attacks, without particle effects or other silliness, and these concepts are maintained in the sequel, where the fighter and warrior vocations have similar physical attack abilities. For that matter, the strider and ranger vocations in the first game or the archer and thief vocations in the second game aren't too different in this regard.

tLDml7W.png
Case and point, the Fighter "ultimate" ability in Dragon Dogma 2 is just.. hitting shit hard.
RiotousFury-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif

Semiurge

Cipher
Did the veil going to shit made everyone and their mother into mages? The ultimate from warrior is a bunch of nagical arrows with meteor coming down. Like wtf

Having magic makes you speshul and also a potential victim of those fascist templars, at least in Ferelden. Being victim is good, it gets you power and lots of new speshul friends to smash the patriarchy with.

tLDml7W.png
Case and point, the Fighter "ultimate" ability in Dragon Dogma 2 is just.. hitting shit hard.
RiotousFury-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif

Just what exactly propels that orc forward there, a shockwave? Ridiculous.

Witcher 3 had very realistic melee combat without that cringy capeshit pizzazz. One of the all-time great RPGs, and despite its flaws it embodies all that the Dragon Age series should aspire to be. But no, Bioware chooses to chase the 12 year old girl who wears glitter makeup and reads romance novels.

Last edited:

MerchantKing

Learned

tLDml7W.png
Can I get more than 45 fps on Dragon's Dogma II with a 4080?

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Witcher 3 had very realistic melee combat
Witcher 3 swings his swords like they're made of papier-mache and are about ten inches long. One look at real people trained to fight with real swords proved that W3 combat is twitchy unrealistic garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom