Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Mortmal

Arcane
It's not getting any better for Veilguard, sitting at the 105th position on Steam sales and at 43rd on the wishlist, while Euro Truck Simulator is still at 66th.

Lemming42

Arcane
I've noticed that Dragon Age fans absolutely hate Dragon Age, so it's no surprise. The average Codexer's disdain for the series is a mere fraction of the hate that an actual Dragon Age fan has toward the entire series.

Lodis

Educated
"High level" warrior gameplay. Also some spoilers in this video not that anybody cares about the lore of the setting anymore but it looks like Archdemons are now simply pets of the elven gods, as if the elf wank in this setting couldn't get any more obnoxious.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
"High level" warrior gameplay. Also some spoilers in this video not that anybody cares about the lore of the setting anymore but it looks like Archdemons are now simply pets of the elven gods, as if the elf wank in this setting couldn't get any more obnoxious.

1724518634852.png

It's nice that they highlight the buttons you have to press to win in green like that, imagine how stressful it would be if you had to work out what abilities to use yourself based on your knowledge of the gameplay mechanics

Dishonoredbr

Erudite

You can feel the remnants of the GAAS everywhere. The overtop effects, AOEs marks everywhere and how your character is constantly glowing with all the buff they have.

The companions seems as useful as they were in Andromenda, not at all.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
1724521413545.png

Combat looks like an asian mobile game but categorically worse.

Also what's with the "we edited the video to remove spoilers but decided to drop a huge spoiler in the description."

The fail with this game is through the roof.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
well thats a lot of shit on-screen

very console game vibes, 4 skills max and 2 of em had 60 seconds cooldown
pP0Vp5k.png

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Imagine actually pointing out "you'll want a heavy set of armor set for this Heavy Armor Mastery passive" as if it's not just suit+ helmet. Real deep investment there.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Did the veil going to shit made everyone and their mother into mages? The ultimate from warrior is a bunch of nagical arrows with meteor coming down. Like wtf

Elttharion

Learned
Did the veil going to shit made everyone and their mother into mages? The ultimate from warrior is a bunch of nagical arrows with meteor coming down. Like wtf
Probably some asset they are reusing from one of the previous iterations of this game. The entire thing looks like it was cobbled together by using a bunch of mismatching assets. It reeks of 'we have all this incoherent and disparate stuff and now we need to make it look like a game'.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I hope this thread has a Vic style defender when the game comes out, it's no fun when everyone hates it

I'll do it (but also I'm not playing the game).

Welllll.... that would just be trolling (which is funny, usually) but there's something special about a guy who genuinely pours his heart and soul into running defense for an unbelievably shitty corpo product like this.

Like when they love the game way more than anyone involved in its production did and you can watch their psyche start to crack and splinter as they attempt to bend/warp reality into a world where this creatively bankrupt trash is worth more than a chewed up piece of gum on the bottom of your boot. It's beautiful.

-M-

Learned
It's nice that they highlight the buttons you have to press to win in green like that, imagine how stressful it would be if you had to work out what abilities to use yourself based on your knowledge of the gameplay mechanics
This is like playing Who Wants to be a Millionaire with the answers already highlighted.

Sabotin

Scholar
Pretty sure that's meant to be a "call in an artilery strike" type ability, which is quite common in some different type of games.

From how it looks I'd say they went first to make the game look over the top and bombastic and then slapped all the UI elements on it to alleviate the issues of not being able to tell what's going on. Is that a cop-out to avoid functional visual design? "Make it look awesome, we'll just put a ground marker so you know it's a yea big aoe and a flashing arrow so you know the enemy is casting it." You'd think they would go more conservative with the wide popularity of dark souls like presentation and minimalistic UI. I can see why marketing went with the hero shooter look...

I like that there's abilites that change how things work, like that ring that changes other debuffs into burning type. The passive tree also seems to have pretty meaningful nodes, although I'm afraid there will be little room for straying from the chosen archetype path despite the apparent openness. You know some will be standard to take. You know the tree and the extra gems or whatnot in inventory remind me more of an arpg style game. Also the gear seems likely it has random abilities with color-coded "quality" and even locked to different characters?

I don't wanna even mention the story, kinda lost hope for that around DA:I. Why does it always start interesting and mysterious and then devolves into banal and simple.

Lodis

Educated
I noticed that too. Remember the good old days when your Warden just ran up to whatever eldritch abomination he was fighting and smacked it to death with a regular sword?

YOP65C9.png

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I noticed that too. Remember the good old days when your Warden just ran up to whatever eldritch abomination he was fighting and smacked it to death with a regular sword?

YOP65C9.png
I legitimately like playing a dumb melee fighter who just pummels everything to death. You could do that in old RPGs and it was fun. I'm not sure when it happened, but I noticed it with PoE: everything has to have a bunch of active abilities now. Modern Fighters are just a different flavor of Mage.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I remember buying everquest 2 on release day and they actually had a section in the manual trying to explain why warriors had mana bars now. That was like 2006 or something, may be a significant event in the ruination of melee fighters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom