Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Old Hans

Arcane
It's hard to believe that Half-life 2 came out 20 years ago, and that Bioware still can't get even close in terms of animations or facial expressions.
source engine was one of the best engines AND it had really good ragdoll physics

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
companion skill tree looks bareboned, maybe at max level u have enough points to pick every skill
NZV2Fpg.png

undead boss which is weak vs... necrotic damage
1725473561830.png

:hmmm:

Semiurge

Cipher
Who needs a guided gameplay commentary if the entire game guides itself? This is gonna be mid. So, basically a 7/10 IGN affair.

Fortunately for them, gaming studios aren't in the movie business (even if a few of them try real hard). Movie studios can serve critics a world breaking record of Special FX, a cast that'd make heads turn in Cannes and a product that can be watched start to finish without severely breaking. And (deservedly) still get totally panned by everyone. In games, if a title looks alright, serves up some form of basic entertainment, and doesn't bluescreen right from loading it up, it's a 6ish/10 already. Anything below 5/10, and you know you're in for one helluva total stinker, with even outright inept product such as last year's Gollum oft struggling to move below scores of 4/10. Honestly, critical reception to blockbusting movies has been way more mixed up from their very beginning. That's not made up, that's the truth. Take a look at the reviews of each year's most popular movies vs each year's most popular games.

That's naught to do with games having such superior quality on average. It's all to do with video gaming criticism still being rather technical, so pretty superficial surface level. So decent GFX, servicable gameplay and a story that doesn't get in the way, and you're set for recommendation. Anything else tends to be shoved into specifically marked opinion pieces or into hallway / teamspeak conversations: "You know, this is pretty nicely made. But so stupid, bland and been there done that a hundred times before, I'd never have wasted my time on it if I weren't tasked with reviewing." If the Borderlands movie had been a game, it'd received at least 5-6ish scores across the board also. Lucky Bioware! ;)

Yet in this same timeline movies can receive praise if they fill every possible cultural quota. Awards are more political now than they have ever been.

So I'm sure the soy critics will give this at least a 7/10 just for the cause, maybe more.

companion skill tree looks bareboned, maybe at max level u have enough points to pick every skill
NZV2Fpg.png

undead boss which is weak vs... necrotic damage
View attachment 54591
:hmmm:

Bioware needs to explain why it's a good idea to wear a hat to combat that covers half of your field of view like a partial horse blinder.

Terenty

Liturgist
Are we witnessing DEI hires from around 2019-2020 bearing their rotten fruit? Will the higher ups and investors finally wake up to the fact troons and other assorted LGBT freaks are good for nothing and actually cost them huge sums in loses?

Nah, who am I kidding

Semiurge

Cipher
Fuck, so that thing is from Veilguard then. Quns have been reduced to hydrocephalic children with horns. They no longer look like an ogroid species.

I guess this change makes their faces more kissable, but the rougher appearance didn't stop people from romancing Bull.

Last edited:
Are we witnessing DEI hires from around 2019-2020 bearing their rotten fruit? Will the higher ups and investors finally wake up to the fact troons and other assorted LGBT freaks are good for nothing and actually cost them huge sums in loses?

Nah, who am I kidding

This game feels like it’s going to be a reckoning for BioWare. EA has seemingly given them all the leeway they could possibly want because BioWare had a positive reputation and it made EA look good that they had this largely beloved studio that was basically allowed to just do whatever and make their games.

But I don’t think anyone really gives a shit about BioWare anymore. At least modern BioWare. The larger audience they had started moving away from them a decade, and people really started to turn on them once Anthem came out. EA is only going to let a studio fuck around for so long, and this game is likely the tipping point.

Just Locus

Educated
I've noticed that Dragon Age fans absolutely hate Dragon Age, so it's no surprise. [...]
This feels like saying "All Elder Scrolls fans hate Elder Scrolls" when in reality, it's more or less like there are two categories of fans who hate each other (tribalism), the same applies to Fallout.

If all Dragon Age 2 did was expand and build upon Origins and not turn into a medieval mass effect, I don't think there'd be such a divide between the fanbase.

Larianshill

Arbiter
This game feels like it’s going to be a reckoning for BioWare. EA has seemingly given them all the leeway they could possibly want because BioWare had a positive reputation and it made EA look good that they had this largely beloved studio that was basically allowed to just do whatever and make their games.
I don't think the doomsaying is appropriate here. Veilguard will sell modestly well thanks to the hordes of wine mom Biodrones, who will gladly eat up anything. It won't be spectacular, but it won't be the Concord.

Fuck, so that thing is from Veilguard then. Quns have been reduced to hydrocephalic children with horns. They no longer look like an ogroid species.

I guess this change makes their faces more kissable, but that didn't stop people from romancing Bull.

It’s the player character in that IGN First Look video that was posted earlier.

Skip to 1:38 in the video.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The game is less then 2 month? before release and is being outselled by bathroom cleaner simulator. I am not joking look it up lol. Its not even in the top 50..

Semiurge

Cipher

I guess this change makes their faces more kissable, but that didn't stop people from romancing Bull.

It’s the player character in that IGN First Look video that was posted earlier.

Skip to 1:38 in the video.

Oh man, that qunari-Rook looks like some member of a warlike species on Star Trek, who's purpose is basically to prove to the humans that his race is not all that bad after all. These characters are usually young and pretty in appearance in order to underline their innocence and humanity, even when they're not human. There's nothing alien about their facial features anymore, like there was in DA 1-3.

Like with the nelf Davrin, the quns are now humans with bad makeup and prosthetics. All probably because of current politics and so that the sex cutscenes look appealing to normos.

I don't think the doomsaying is appropriate here. Veilguard will sell modestly well thanks to the hordes of wine mom Biodrones, who will gladly eat up anything. It won't be spectacular, but it won't be the Concord.

I’m not sure it sells well when there’s so many other “Action RPGs” on the market to play. I think if it was a decade ago this probably would’ve done just fine for BioWare, if it was any time between the late 2000s and early 2010s this likely would’ve done well for them. But they’ve been jerking off for around a decade developing different versions of Dragon Age 4, and they’re releasing a fairly mediocre looking action game into a market where FromSoftware is now huge, and there’s many other better options to play.

I don’t think this will be a Concord level disaster, but I don’t think it sells well either, and I don’t think it sells well enough for all the time and money that’s went into it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The limited skill choices reminds me of Guild Wars 1, but in GW1 you had 8, not 4. There's no need for a ginormous PoE-like skill tree that is mostly full of passives in the vein of "+10% necrotic dmg".

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The limited skill choices reminds me of Guild Wars 1, but in GW1 you had 8, not 4. There's no need for a ginormous PoE-like skill tree that is mostly full of passives in the vein of "+10% necrotic dmg".
Exactly. With this approach you can have "hundreds" of skills, if most of them add +1% to specific damage type. And they can go "look how complex this is". And if you read the comments there's a chick there that praises the reduction in complexity because it makes her brain hurt. No joke.
Ah, here it is:

5S879K.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don't know in what universe 5,754 is 38% of 9,301 but here you go. I flunked basic math lol.

The people are voicing their disapproval.

1725480846862.png

All the top comments are basically:

1725480952963.png

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
Veilguard will have The Acolyte/Rings of Power-style backlash from the remains of BioWare's fandom. Steam and Youtube comments are absolutely damning.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.ea.com/games/dragon-age/dragon-age-the-veilguard/news/combat-and-progression

Progression & Companions​

An inside look into Rook & Companions’ progression​

da-blog-prog-skill-rook-wide-spellblade-0822-01.png.adapt.320w.png

Hello everyone,
It’s September already! Today, we want to dive deeper into Progression, Items, and Companions with this blog and accompanying videos (minor spoilers in the video). Hopefully after today, players will have a better sense of how to customize Rook and unite the Veilguard.

Skill Tree Progression​

poster.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.320w.jpg

Reaching a max level of 50, Rook will be able to have a unique playstyle tuned to deliver coordinated attacks alongside their Companions. The largest experience boosts come from completing quests. The bigger and more momentous the quest the better the bonus will be. Rook also gains experience from killing enemies and exploring, but gaining levels is most efficient when helping the people of Thedas or taking time to deepen Rook’s bond with the Veilguard.
da-blog-prog-skill-rook-spec-spellblade-0822-03.png.adapt.320w.png

After enough experience points, Rook will level up and be awarded with a Skill Point to place in the Skill Tree. The Constellation Skill Tree lays out all the possible areas of growth, with the types of skills denoted by the shape:
  • Large circle: Class (core skills and weapon proficiencies)
  • Diamond: Ability (can be assigned to an Ability slot)
  • Medium circle: Major Passive or Ability Upgrade (adds effects or modifies existing Abilities or stats, like guaranteeing a critical hit on knockdown or extending range)
  • Small hexagon: Trait (modifies existing class skill, like counter-attack, extending an attack combo or missile block/return)
  • Small circle: Minor Passive or Stat Boost (increases efficacy of Abilities, Passive, or stats)
Node selections are designed to harmonize into cohesive builds. This ensures that Rook’s strength is always growing as the playstyle is being refined. Still, if another path calls to the player instead, Skill Points can be refunded (individually or the entire skill tree) at any time, with no resource costs, and spent elsewhere.
Each Class will also have access to three Specialization Areas, outlined in our Combat blog. Rook can gain powerful Abilities tuned to the theme of that Specialization, after unlocking it. While the Specialization Areas are themed by Faction, they are not restricted to a Rook of that Faction. For example, a Grey Warden Rook can still take the Veil Ranger Specialization if they are a Rogue.

Item Progression​

There will be a plethora of equipment to find or buy throughout Thedas, including weapons, armor, and accessories. Each item will have its own stats and properties. With respect to weapon and armor advancement, duplicate items empower them to increase stats and unlock additional properties.
da-blog-prog-fadesmith-menu-0822-01.png.adapt.320w.png

For more upgrades, Rook will find the Caretaker’s Workshop in the Lighthouse, as seen in the screenshot, where equipment can be upgraded and enchanted to unlock additional effects for Rook and their Companions. Upgraded equipment will receive increased stats. There will be a list of basic enchantments to start with, but each time Rook upgrades the rank of the Caretaker’s Workshop, more enchantments will become available. Each item or Ability can have a single enchantment applied to it, and each enchantment can only be used on a single item or Ability at a time.
Rook will be aligned with a Faction of the player’s choosing from the beginning of the game. The chosen Faction will influence the initial appearance of Rook, particularly when dressed in casual wear. However, don’t worry about getting locked into any specific style since any visible armor can be ‘transmogrify-ed’ to resemble another that has been collected, via the Wardrobe in the Lighthouse. There will also be appearance-only armors, such as the Blood Dragon Armor for pre-orders, and casual outfits. You can find these at some merchants and found by exploring over time. This gives the player the ability to tailor Rook’s appearance independent of tantalizing stat boosts and upgrades.

Companions’ Progression​

da-blog-prog-skill-neve-0822-01.png.adapt.320w.png

Rook’s Companions are equally important to success as the player endeavors to save Thedas. Members of the Veilguard each have their own Levels and each level gained grants them 2 Skill Points. Each companion will have quests to deepen Rook’s bond with them, and this is one of the main ways for them to gain experience. Companions also can gain experience through unique conversations and decisions with them. These quests and bonds are not limited to romantic interests; platonic friendships are just as important and in focus in Dragon Age: The Veilguard.
da-blog-prog-comp-select-0822-02.png.adapt.320w.png

Rook will be able to take two Companions on missions. Each Companion has their own set of gear to manage, which can be upgraded and enchanted at the Caretaker’s Workshop, as well. Companions also have Primer and Detonator abilities that can combine with each other or Rook in combat. Each Primer has a matching Detonator. Using the correct combination, a Detonation will trigger - dealing increased damage across an area and increased stagger. For example, as seen in the video, Rook can use Toxic Dash to prime the target with the Sundered status, and Neve detonates it with her Icebreaker Ability.
These videos have highlighted the three main areas of Progression in Dragon Age: The Veilguard. Rook and the Veilguard will grow throughout the game, and there’s plenty of builds to explore. We’ve put the videos all together; so they can be watched uninterrupted! Check out the full video below.

As Rook journeys through Thedas, overcoming challenges, forging alliances, and facing down the corrupt Elven gods, their strength and power will grow. It will be up to the player to define what kind of Rook and Veilguard will emerge from this conflict. Will you be the hero?
We’re in the thick of it now; so we’ll be back soon with more details on missions and exploration! This month, IGN will also be releasing exclusive content; so keep an eye out. Chat soon!
- The Dragon Age Community Team

Elttharion

Learned

I’m not sure it sells well when there’s so many other “Action RPGs” on the market to play. I think if it was a decade ago this probably would’ve done just fine for BioWare, if it was any time between the late 2000s and early 2010s this likely would’ve done well for them. But they’ve been jerking off for around a decade developing different versions of Dragon Age 4, and they’re releasing a fairly mediocre looking action game into a market where FromSoftware is now huge, and there’s many other better options to play.

I don’t think this will be a Concord level disaster, but I don’t think it sells well either, and I don’t think it sells well enough for all the time and money that’s went into it.
On Steam its doing pretty badly for a game releasing in less than two months. 42 spot on most wishlisted games. 144 on top sales and just 57,034 followers.

Kingdom Come 2 as a comparison is on the 142 spot for sales, 24 spot for wishlists and has 80,799 followers. And that game only comes out next year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom