Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

DemonKing

Arcane
DA Veilguard is 100% guaranteed positive critic reviews. This is a foregone conclusion.
Concord also got decent reviews and look how that went.

I don't think this will land so badly, but it's already looking like the usual nu-Bioware "failed to meet expectations" project.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The real question is if they can make enough sales to get to Mass Effect or no.

Just looking at the videos, you can tell they sunk some serious cash into the game. Thankfully for BioWare, their audience is completely different from the one from Concord (which really, really misunderstood who played hero shooters).

But... the facial animations look so rough that there's a good chance this is gonna pull an Andromeda and become a laughingstock.

Thalstarion

Novice
It'll sell well amongst the terminally online, so it's definitely going to get more sales than Concord. That being said, the character designs are largely unappealing and each subsequent game after Origins has eroded more of what made the setting so memorable in the first place.

The average gamer is far more likely to pick up RPG's if someone like Geralt of Rivia or Henry from KCD is the protagonist as well as front and centre in the marketing.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
The game going to sell well just like Inquisition and Starfield did but one or two year later anyone beyond horny motherfuckers super fan and casuals going to say consider this game mediocre as fuck.

Shitposter
super fan and casuals going to say consider this game mediocre as fuck.
It's actually youtube "essayist" who are going to make the video.

Also, isn't too early for cope posting? Come on guys be more optimistic, the game still can be worse than Andromeda and all our hopes and prayers are answered... by EA dismantling BioWare forever and committed all their resources to produces proper slop for proper retard like FC69 and Madden420!

The game going to sell well just like Inquisition and Starfield did but one or two year later anyone beyond horny motherfuckers super fan and casuals going to say consider this game mediocre as fuck.

I don’t see it doing as well as Inquisition did, and it’s definitely not hitting the “over 13 million players” in a few months numbers Starfield did.

People don’t care about BioWare like they did a decade ago. It’s not even like Inquisition was good, but BioWare had Andromeda and Anthem both happened post Inquisition, so the good will isn’t what it once was; and the good will was started to get fucked before Inquisition. The market is also flush with better looking options for action games and action RPGs than what this new Dragon Age game looks like. I’m thinking it probably has worse sales on release than Dragon Age 2 and 3. In a year where people have so many other options I don’t see this doing well. It probably get drowned out by just Diablo 4: Vessel of Hatred and Metaphor: ReFantazio in October. It doesn’t seem like anyone really cares about this game, and when I look at it, it makes me think BioWare is probably lucky that at the moment gamers seem to be largely distracted by Dustborn, Concord, and Black Myth: Wukong to notice this.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I don't see where people think this will sell like gangbusters. Even mediocre "big" new titles get a huge preorder surge on Steam, Veilguard couldn't even get that. Maybe it will sell enough to be a profit, but so far it seems like Bioware's reputation and allure for the normie casual (which is who they wanted to make games for in the first place, remember) is in the dumpster after Anthem.

This kind of reminds me of Diablo: Immortal actually. The whole "ewww ugly" aura, complete lack of enthusiasm from the core gamers, etc. However where D:I was a success was because it was aggressively monetized and designed to be a sell-out, Veilguard is an aborted sell out with no aggressive monetization stream, so if it isn't popular on release it's fucked.

They probably should have stuck with the live-service plan. What they get here is the worst of all worlds: a game that bears all the legacies of being a sell-out live-service title and as a result has people turn their nose up at it, but without the economic benefit of that sellout model.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am glad Steam has the concurrent peak numbers and review numbers so we will know immediately how much of a smashing success this will be.

I do think it will get around 50K CCUs. Not great, probably a failure, but not Concord-level megaflop.

TC Jr

Scholar
The limited skill choices reminds me of Guild Wars 1, but in GW1 you had 8, not 4. There's no need for a ginormous PoE-like skill tree that is mostly full of passives in the vein of "+10% necrotic dmg".
Exactly. With this approach you can have "hundreds" of skills, if most of them add +1% to specific damage type. And they can go "look how complex this is". And if you read the comments there's a chick there that praises the reduction in complexity because it makes her brain hurt. No joke.
Ah, here it is:

5S879K.jpg
c23e3792a25b9d5cf47a13fb5addb183.jpg

be1080c0109f1b5082af05c7c18bbe05.gif

Shitposter
....On PC. The game will be on Console, too.
These days usually game that bombs on PC also bombs on console and vice versa, with Concord being latest example.
For sure, but when the numbers are in between what arbitrary considered as "Success" or "Flop", looking at complete picture would be better.

This game probably ended up being just Okay, can't be worse than Concord because literally nobody cares about Concord.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
by EA dismantling BioWare forever and committed all their resources to produces proper slop for proper retard like FC69 and Madden420!

You talk as if is a bad thing. Bioware is no longer the same bioware from 90s/early 00s. Now is full of diversity hires lead by a "gendermancer". I wish that Failguard will be a Concord tier failure but the most optimistic case scenario for me would be Anthem tier failure.

Tyrr

Liturgist
2024 is the year of reckoning for western gaming.
- Dustborn
- Star Wars Outlaws
- Concord
- Assassin's Creed Shadows
- Dragon Age Veilguard

It will all go down.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Reckoning for Western AAA* games. Not that Eastern AAA games are much better, just more popular/sell more.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Only if you like that sort of gameplay. It's a bit mindless to me, just effective in covering that up, but ymmv.

Shitposter
You talk as if is a bad thing
Why do you think I think it's a bad thing?

That wasn't an ironic statement. I meant it. I think BioWare has been "bad" since Baldur's Gate 1, BioWare literally never changes, they've been doing what they're doing right now since the very beginning:
1. Simplification of RPG system (Mass Effect (2005))
2. Railroaded infantile dialogue. (Baldur's Gate 1)
3. Minimalistic player agency. (basically all of their games)
4. Woke.

If you think they bad only in the last 15 years, you're sorely mistaken, again, they have been bad since the very beginning.

The difference between you and I is that I've realized this way earlier than you - and even after literal decades of their existence, the only thing that made you think that they're bad is because they let you fuck men in the ass, lol.

The difference between you and I is that when Carth Onasi said Bigotry never out of style back in the early 2000s, I knew they are woke, but it took you decades and slight cosmetic changes of what basically identical message to realize they are woke.

The difference between you and I is that when I play Baldur's Gate 2 and see Viconia being prosecuted solely because of her race, I knew it's a political statement, but you can't see it, because you think Viconia is white.

I would definitely prefer for BioWare to be dead, rather than lived as EA's proxy to generate money.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If you think they bad only in the last 15 years, you're sorely mistaken, again, they have been bad since the very beginning.

Despite any criticism towards BG1 and other old BioWare games, they are still much, much better than post Dragon Age Origins BioWare games. Sure, NwN1 is much "dumbed down" compared to ToEE, but NwN1 still a amazing game.

Shitposter
Despite any criticism towards BG1 and other old BioWare games, they are still much, much better than post Dragon Age Origins BioWare games. Sure, NwN1 is much "dumbed down" compared to ToEE, but NwN1 still a amazing game.
So you're telling me, Mass Effect 1, the game that literally popularized dumbed down dialogue wheel is good? The game that allows you to berate Terra Firma, which basically proxy to conservative politic is good? Imagine if it was released today lmao. NWN OC with its infantile dialogue and binary morality? SOTU that recontextualize Kobold via Deekin - which sounds a lot like what current year WoTC politics trying to recontextualize Orc? KOTOR with Mary Sue character like Bastila? if KOTOR was released today, I bet your ass some retard youtuber going to pick up the similarity between her and Rey, the woke protagonist from Star Woke.

I mean, if you want to dislike something, don't draw an arbitrary line because you're too dumb to figure out BioWare "artistic expression".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom