Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Mortmal

Arcane
YT just recommended me this. He really hates the look and gameplay.

Well, he's a good spokesperson for the community.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

"Looks worse than Raid Shadow Legends."
"Concord had better looking characters."
He had a few good lines.

I'm kinda just checking how this is going every 100 pages or so, and only played the original DA:O - but what the purpose of those horns on the people in DA? Do they ram their opponents or something?

Fargus

Arcane

"Looks worse than Raid Shadow Legends."
"Concord had better looking characters."
He had a few good lines.

I'm kinda just checking how this is going every 100 pages or so, and only played the original DA:O - but what the purpose of those horns on the people in DA? Do they ram their opponents or something?

Design choice? Bioware thought Qunari looked too generic fantasy in DAO so they gave them horns in future games. The lore changed to all Qunari having horns unless it's a rare case like Stan.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
They're Not-Tieflings in BioWare's Not-Forgotten-Realms setting. The horns should signify a demonic aspect of the character, something from beyond the Material Plane, something untrustworthy. But this is BioWare, so really the horns are just there to look terrible.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
One thing I've really been thinking is how in the fuck the marketing team okayed these character designs being shown publicly.

Now I know the usual composition of of marketing teams so I shouldn't expect much, but between this, VtMB2, Avowed, Fable, etc, they should know they're dooming their product from the start.

Imagine throwing a face like this on a commercial you paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to air:

1726330695151.png

Somebody in the company had to have said "lol you guys are stupid."

Listen to that person.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
View attachment 54921

Listen to that person.
They don't use the term "Safe Space" that much anymore, but these people that design these characters exist in that sphere. Imagine being fired for being sexist/misogynistic/sane by pointing out how fucking ugly the above character is? Not only that, you'd be essentially unhirable in these circles. Better for the game to fail and you become unemployed organically then speak up and never work again.

Semiurge

Cipher

So from this video I learned that you can pet random street cats and dogs. I know Witcher 3 EE added the option to pet Roach because people kept asking for it, but this.... it really broadcasts loud and clear to whom they're marketing the game. The cutesy stuff - the rock, paper & scissors with a skeleton and the petting (no pun) doesn't belong here. DA shouldn't be a gay petting zoo with a maximally bland high-fantasy design. EA wanted this and okayed it, knowing that no-one wanted it, because they're confident that people will settle for it. Settle for worse than mediocre that could easily be bested by an unhindered A.I.

This here is what the gaming industry has come to. My vision of Dragon Age would be something of a mix of Excalibur, Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. With absolutely no cringy modern references to capeshit or anything written by Joss Whedon. Only class, and occasionally some edge. If I'm in the mood for more of the edge and grimdarkness, I go to the Witcher games. If I want high-fantasy and world saving, it's DA:Origins for now.

One thing I've really been thinking is how in the fuck the marketing team okayed these character designs being shown publicly.

Now I know the usual composition of of marketing teams so I shouldn't expect much, but between this, VtMB2, Avowed, Fable, etc, they should know they're dooming their product from the start.

Imagine throwing a face like this on a commercial you paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to air:

View attachment 54921

Listen to that person.

How can they not okay these designs when all of western corporate culture is infected with ESG and the resultant adherence to DEI? Every step on the corporate ladder is okay with it, or at least the workers keep their mouths shut as long as they intend to stay employed. They know there will be a loud backlash, but the higher-ups have a plan for spinning even that into a victory, but basically because of ESG, no-one has a choice anymore. The ugly is here to stay until the industry collapses, or until BlackRock is seen as what it really is. A head of the global hydra. Destroyer of free nations.

Remember that video about Concorde where a former designer commented on how his sexier character designs always went through the same "purification" process when handled by different exects and other designers, and in that process they always lost whatever semblance of femininity and healthy body curvature they had? All designs of DA:tVG have no doubt gone through the same wringer, and the mediocre was encouraged because at this point, it's safest according to EA. When they've got their backs against a wall they will always double-down on the pozz, for shareholders. They have no other choice, for they're no longer the masters. BlackRock is.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DA:O was already a decline if compared to PC-centric bioware from the late 90s and early 00s

In what way? DAO was BG3 in everything but name at the time, it introduced a level of player interactivity unseen in previous Bioware games it gave people everything they craved for since NWN.
BG2 had over 300 spells, DA:O had like 90. The combat is worse; the "ruleset/mechanics" are worse. DA:O is not a bad game; it is just not as great as previous BioWare titles. Now, DA2, DA:I, and Failguard are all trash games, and Failguard will be the worst of all.

And when is the last time that BioWare did a successful game? Anthem? Flopped. Ass Effect Andromeda? People mock their oblivion-tier faces to this day. Inquisition was their most popular title because it dumbed down Dragon Age Origins for casual gamers. After the Inquisition, they dumbed down their games so much that not even normies are interested.

I don't get why so many game devs treat its playerbase as complete retarded. And is not only in RPGs, Electronic Farts was skeptical about BF1 because for them, most people wouldn't recognize WW1. BF1 still the unique BF game to outsell CoD.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Despite all the faults of DAO, at least it was good/decent enough for its time to be remembered somewhat fondly, depending on who you ask.
The games after it, especially Flopguard, will never be good, for ANY time.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Again: These people exist in a bubble. They actually think what they're presenting is good.
I truly believe so. You'd think "but how can you be this retarded, it's not possible, just check the internet or something" but it doesn't work. Even if they see criticism (and a genuine one, not 'dex shitposting) they will consider it a personal attack and disdain, never to think whether the person criticizing might be right at least in some aspects or not.

I believe it because last company I worked at was quite similar, although it pertained only to management. These narcissists blocked any improvement from downwards and considered only their ideas great and worth implementation, then gave themselves huge bonuses for "great job done". They pushed completely inane and worthless ideas downwards, ideas that hindered our work and then we were criticized for slowing down. Those of us who fought hard to implement things that would actually improve our workflows were just literally screamed at and cut middle sentence every meeting, they didn't bother reading our improvement ideas either.

The company had good low-level people (they paid decently and required plenty of skills and experience to get hired), but the management was completely insane, so plenty of us just left because there's only so much stupidity you can endure.

I bet Bioware is the same. There might be sane people there but they could be silenced by management and hence end result is a turd. I think this is the case in many modern large companies, including gaming industry, perhaps especially gaming industry.

Robber Baron

Savant
The combat is worse; the "ruleset/mechanics" are worse.

DAO had its "ruleset/mechanics" created specially for the game, tabletop rules were never meant to be used in videogames, every game that adapts tabletop rules are gimping themselves because they are taking the combat ruleset without any proper way to adapt the tabletop roleplay. It's a halfassed solution. A good abeit simple system built specially for the game will always be better and that's the case with DAO.
DAO didn't have the amount of content BG2 had but it still was Bioware's last Great game. Great, capital G.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
They're Not-Tieflings in BioWare's Not-Forgotten-Realms setting. The horns should signify a demonic aspect of the character, something from beyond the Material Plane, something untrustworthy. But this is BioWare, so really the horns are just there to look terrible.
OG Tieflings didn't have to have horns, let alone so prominent ones. The 5th edition ones are terribad decline.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
tabletop rules were never meant to be used in videogames, every game that adapts tabletop rules are gimping themselves

Disagreed. Do you really think that Rogue Trader has a better ""ruleset"" than Pathfinder Kingmaker and WoTR? WH40k RT would be much better with TT rules. There are some bad TT rulesets, like D&D 4e and PF2e but in general, I never saw any tabletop game with atrocious game mechanics like D3.

OG Tieflings didn't have to have horns, let alone so prominent ones. The 5th edition ones are terribad decline.

Yep. Tieflings have a minor demoniac ancestry. Cambions and Alu fiends in other hands tends to have more demoniac stuff(wings, horns, etc). There is a huge difference between 5% demoniac blood and 50%.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom