Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
The main theme of the game by Hans Zimmer

Spoilers: It's mediocre af.

Sounds like generic action movie slop with no soul. Compare that to this

I still remember when I first played DAO and the start of the Battle of Ostegar cutscene version of the song played... It was captivating. And then Cailan did the stupidest thing possible: "CHARGE!!!!!"

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I still remember when I first played DAO and the start of the Battle of Ostegar cutscene version of the song played... It was captivating. And then Cailan did the stupidest thing possible: "CHARGE!!!!!"
Apart from the music this battle was so dumb. I spent the whole sequence thinking:
- why isn't the infantry defending itself behind a shieldwall and instead charges to its doom,
- where are the lines of pikes?
- where the hell is the cavalry attacking darkspawn from the flanks?

The last point was probably an engine limitation (inability to shape a horse/mounted warrior?) but the other elements... pure retardation.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Apart from the music this battle was so dumb. I spent the whole sequence thinking:
- why isn't the infantry defending itself behind a shieldwall and instead charges to its doom,

The last point was probably an engine limitation (inability to shape a horse/mounted warrior?) but the other elements... pure retardation.

Bioware has a Hollywood mentality. They don't think of the battle like a general or even a 19th century painter, but as two groups led by important figures. Think about it, when was the last time you saw formations, tactical retreats and sudden breaks in the line patched up by faithful troops in a movie? Even Kubrick's Spartacus suffers from the same problems.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's 20th century authors, what can you expect besides "subversion", "riffing off of" something better "exploring in a new way". Which all amount to the postmodernist playbook of metacommentary, based on nothing but the irony directed towards everything, with which a first-year university student conceals his lack of real lived experience and intellectual poverty.

That's a long way of saying "what amount of creativity or depth and meaning do you expect from a videogame" Revering a game as a kid is easy, but you tend to put it under much more scrutiny as an adult.

Yosharian

Arcane
Sounds like generic action movie slop with no soul. Compare that to this

Literally Baldur Gate 3's music :smug:

Sorry but DA:O's main theme shits on anything in BG3 from a fucking great height. BG3's music generally is overrated as fuck and by far its weakest aspect. That fucking 'Down By The River' shit is the most mediocre slop I've ever heard in a triple-A RPG.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

That was the whole point, I think. My theory on the whole thing:

The plan was for Cailan's force to stay in well-defended fortifications. Loghain was to charge into the enemy's flank when the signal was given. The darkspawn would have been caught between a hammer and an anvil.

However, Cailan has this stupid want for glory. He as much said it when we first met him. He wants it to be an epic battle, where force met force, and the King and the Grey Wardens comes up on top by dint of virtue and "I am the good guy!" That kind of shit doesn't wash in real life, and Loghain tried to tell him so. Cailan kept dismissing him.

So, when the time came, Cailan charged out of his prepared positions. Without the protection of those positions, the numbers game favoured the darkspawn by a huge margin. And since YOU were delayed in the Tower of Ishaal, by the time the signal fire was lit, Cailan's force was battered beyond the point of resistance. It could no longer serve as the anvil. If Loghain had charged, it would have just fed another army to the darkspawn with little hope of success. Loghain said as much throughout the entire game. People kept dismissing him as trying to cover for his "regicide". It wasn't regicide. Cailan died from terminal stupidity, and nearly took the whole world with him.

Of course, Bioware didn't help Loghain's cause by portraying him with that stupid smirk right before the fight. If they have made him look defeated, they would have given him a better moral ambiguity, which was the whole point of the bloody game (grey on grey morality)!

Drowed

Arcane
While I'm not particularly a fan of BG, unlike most of the Codex, credit where credit is due. The first two games in the series are impeccable in the artistic aspect, both visually and in the soundtrack.

I don't understand enough about music theory to comment or explain why the music is so memorable, but it is. It's instantly recognizable, iconic, and distinct from any other series. While the Dragon Age music sounds like any generic epic music you could have generated by AI. Origins still had some personality, but Veilguard is completely indistinguishable from anything else.

Ryzer

Arcane
Prediction: This game will be as good as KCD2 but the latter is made by slavs so Codex will slurp it up and excuse everything.

Empty open-world: "pff it's design"
Boring quest-lines: "This is what the middle-Age is all about"
etc...

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Because the King wanted a glorious battle/victory of old. He was obsessed with the prospect of that.

Ryzer

Arcane

It's nowhere near as retarded as the battle of Kaer Morhen from Witcher 3.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao

We need to take a step back as a society and ask ourselves why Hans Zimmer is held in high regard as a composer.

Because he's a good composer. This sort of slop isn't done by him, but by his production company (i.e. you pay money for the Hans Zimmer brand).

Butter

Arcane
Patron

We need to take a step back as a society and ask ourselves why Hans Zimmer is held in high regard as a composer.

Because he's a good composer. This sort of slop isn't done by him, but by his production company (i.e. you pay money for the Hans Zimmer brand).

I've seen a lot of movies he's composed for. The only scores I can actually remember are True Romance and Inception. A lot of it is just generic and lacking in strong themes.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

It's nowhere near as retarded as the battle of Kaer Morhen from Witcher 3.
Kaer Morhen is not a full fledged battle, just half a dozen witchers and sorceresses defending in the ruins of the castle. Not really comparable.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
A funny title:

1727798876309.png

The actual story's lame. Corinne Busche was demo'ing DA4 for EA CEO Andrew Wilson and some execs and then insta-died in the game, leading to what I'm only assuming is some facepalming and "is that supposed to happen?"

Imagine being the CEO of EA and watching a demo of this game.

"That looks really cool, but when did Fortnite become so purple? I didn't even know Fortnite was one of our IPs, I thought it belonged to Ubisoft."

Lodis

Educated
Imagine being a CEO or an exec and having to hold in your disgust while a tranny attempts to demo a game with top surgery scars being a defining feature.

Semiurge

Cipher
I loved watching Veggie Tales as a kid. They were a Christian programming. They did lots of movies about the Old Testament, Moses, and a few others that I can't really remember - it's been two decades since I watched Veggie Tales.

What the hell was that claymation movie that basically detailed the life and death of Jesus, or at least I remember it had some kind of Christian theme. I don't think it was He Was Once (1989) because it was more surreal and resembled a music video from a time when music videos used claymation and stop-motion (the '80s). It had a memorably jazzy soundtrack too.

You literally cannot tell me that her Rook is ugly like...you'd just be lying to yourself.
image.png

Looks like your basic blacktino female with bottle-blonde hair. Would be fitting if Tevinter looked like real-world L.A. There's definitely something american about those features.

A funny title:

View attachment 55697

The actual story's lame. Corinne Busche was demo'ing DA4 for EA CEO Andrew Wilson and some execs and then insta-died in the game, leading to what I'm only assuming is some facepalming and "is that supposed to happen?"

Imagine being the CEO of EA and watching a demo of this game.

"That looks really cool, but when did Fortnite become so purple? I didn't even know Fortnite was one of our IPs, I thought it belonged to Ubisoft."

I noticed that the there seemed to be no fall damage in those gameplay previews. Perhaps it had been disabled so that players could bunnyhop like retards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom