Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Heavy cope.

In 20 years, when Dragon Age 10 releases: "Dragon Age The Veilgard had good companions. It was the last really good DA game"
The gap between DA1 & 2 was 2 years. Gap between DA 2 & Inquisition was 3 years.
Gap between Inquisition & Veilguard was 10 years.

What makes you believe we'll get another 6 in the next 20 years?

Just for sake of argument. Could be any game. Sworn Bioware haters will keep kicking the can down the road.

Semiurge

Cipher
They're not even trying to be subtle anymore

CsfoiLv.png

It's already 100% certain it will be full of modern buzzwords and oh so subtle manipulation attempts like that little info message there. It's unimportant whether it fits what's happening on screen, keeping 'the message' front and center is the thing. It's a constant assault on the senses and sensibility, coming from multiple sources all at once - the news, media, and legistlation. There's no escaping it even in escapist fantasy. The message is meant to saturate public space and mind, so that eventually it becomes truth. Classic subliminal programming. Bioware may not have an actual agenda like that, instead they're merely comprised of zealots whose thoughts have only one track. But in the end they operate exactly the same as left-wing radicals.

Voice acting and whatever aside, Rook says "I get that" and it somehow translates into "you encouraged something something multicultural background"

This is the purest example of "tell, don't show", and in a goddam dialogue. Couldn't they have written an extra line? Without that "good boy" notification you would never even know that something meaningful happened.

Look, yadda yadda you said stuff and it produced this effect, okay?

I can picture writers in the background slamming character figurines together, "now kith!"

The cookie shit could be their awkward reference to Sten and his sweet-tooth. Cheap fanservice for the few who have actually played Origins.

Elttharion

Learned
LLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL

iu

Also how in the actual fuck that response from player character encourages the special snowflake to focus on benefits of multicultural background?

didn't u hear? he said "i get that"
9.5/10 IGN

I've got a pretty exhaustive therapy bill from the way both of my parents together and each of them individually fucked me up.
That poster in another comment, Lmao

scytheavatar

Scholar
It's an interesting question though, I mean a lot of us here have been capable of "holding our noses" wrt various aspects of games, and it's true that BW games have been pozzed (as opposed to just, "why can't we all just get along?" type liberal) for quite some time, probably since about JE as someone said above.

So what's the "tipping point?" What's making me absolutely unwilling to follow BW into Veilguard, while I was kind of okay with DA:I (even though it was right at the edge of my tolerance)?

One important thing is the vague memory of the good times one had with DA:O. That was quite strong through DA2 and even DA:I had a lingering perfume of it. DA:I still felt like the same virtual world to some extent, and that was enough to induce me to keep up the nose-holding.

Then, even up to DA:I, the poz was still being offered as an option (the saving grace of BG3's poz btw). But as with a lot of modern product, it looks like this game has tipped over into it being the only way to play the game.

I think that's the tipping point generally; one can hold one's nose so long as the putrid stuff is still an option that one can more or less adroitly avoid, but when it becomes the whole of the product, that's it for me.

So say, with BW and a lot of game developers, for a long time, they had liberal or pozzed elements, but they were introduced in the context of "why can't we all just get along?" liberality. Over time the "you should appreciate this or you're a bigot" element got strong and stronger, till now, there's literally no escape. One feels like the guy in a Clockwork Orange, with one's eyeballs peeled back, forced to watch the horror.

But of course one isn't forced. Yet. One can still refuse to give one's life blood for the crap.

When the tipping point is irrelevant, cause the pozzing was always going to get worse and worse without an active effort from the devs and publishers to fight against them. Even if you could tolerate the poz, it was always going to be inevitable that you WILL be tipped off at some point.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So what's the "tipping point?"
It's one thing to have some gay companion that you can tell to fuck off and it's a completetly different thing to have a game designed as a fantasy utopia of the egocentric selfish self mutilating emotionally stumped trans cult. You can't escape wokeism in Starfield and you sure as fuck won't be able to do it in this game.

Old Hans

Arcane
and you know the other dialog option will also support the benefits of a multi-culture background. At least in Dragon age Origins there would be an out of left field dialog option, like: "I hate qunari, I hope they all die"

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
reddit having a meltdown

"i like the cookies better"
"everyone likes the cookies better"
"i'll eat the fruit. thank you"

it's like they took notes from the people who make parodies of oblivion writing

So, the player char is gay going by that voice acting.

Semiurge

Cipher
The VA sounds weird but Rook is talking a lot without any our input.
something tells me this is going to happen a lot. It's the equivalent of a dungeon master constantly taking control of your character and making them say things

Rook can only be a hero, so it's easier to put words in his mouth. And this hero will act as an example to all fence sitters out there who still don't know what to make of this culture war. Rook will convert heretics into true believers with the power of friendship!

Skinwalker

*meows incessantly*
Patron
Village Idiot
Voice acting and whatever aside, Rook says "I get that" and it somehow translates into "you encouraged something something multicultural background"

This is the purest example of "tell, don't show", and in a goddam dialogue. Couldn't they have written an extra line? Without that "good boy" notification you would never even know that something meaningful happened.

Look, yadda yadda you said stuff and it produced this effect, okay?

I can picture writers in the background slamming character figurines together, "now kith!"
Reading this post made me feel like I'm having a stroke.

What?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom