Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Yeah, development seems to have started sometime after DMC5. (Can't seem to find when the game went gold) Hideaki Itsuno posted a picture on his Twitter with the new team for his unannounced game in April 9th of last year, and Capcom shut down Dragon's Dogma Online (which also had a team made up of people that worked on Dragon's Dogma) in 2019 too, so I'm wondering if people on that are also back in the Dragon's Dogma 2 team. It might get pushed back some, but I'd still expect that 2022 release date.

I wouldn't put any stock in Deep Down being turned into a Dragon's Dogma 2. For one thing they were still making it even after it went away, it popped up in some Japanese only look into the workings of Capcom like a couple years after it hadn't been heard of. The other thing though is Deep Down looked to be a vastly different game when it came to gameplay; it seemed to Capcom's take on a Souls game. That rumor just seemed to come about because it was also another fantasy themed game Capcom was making.

I hadn't realized Dragon's Dogma Online was so prestigious as to include the tarrasque.

tarrasque.jpg

Those things from DDO should've been made into expansions for the main game

It is almost kind of a surprise they didn't just drop DDO stuff into one of the rereleases. It's the same engine. It's what they'll do from time to time with their fighting games; like when they put Street Fighter X Tekken characters in SF4, and Capcom vs SNK characters and Ingrid from Capcom Fighting Jam in Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max.

ADL

Prophet
Agreed. I'm surprised they didn't retrofit it and sell it as a lobby-based multiplayer game where they could've made some MTX $$$ off cosmetics in the West.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Since they like to add in D&D monsters I imagine a displacer beast would be pretty cool especially if fought in a dark area that you'd need a light source equipped to see which is the real one.

Also maybe possibly hopefully coughs giant sword spiders.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Nah, giant spiders are cliche and lame.

I'm going to rally so hard for giant grotesque spiders in DD2 that I hope it gatekeeps arachnophobics from ever trying/enjoying this game. I will offer my pets as references just so they can nail every single possible detail to deliver the most terrifying giant spiders gaming will ever experience.

NO MODS.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah, giant spiders are cliche and lame.

I'm going to rally so hard for giant grotesque spiders in DD2 that I hope it gatekeeps arachnophobics from ever trying/enjoying this game. I will offer my pets as references just so they can nail every single possible detail to deliver the most terrifying giant spiders gaming will ever experience.

NO MODS.
You know why there are no giant spiders in Dragon's Dogma?

The Cyclopes stepped on all of them, and the manticore thingies ate the rest.

Really interested to see what way they good with the look of the game. It'll most definitely be in RE Engine. I'd think it'd be realistic looking like DMC5 and their new RE games, but given that Monster Hunter Rise is also RE Engine it's always possible it has a more stylized look along the lines of the art of the past games (it'd be interesting if it had a painterly look to it)...which would also be cool.

1009be8cfd389e6220dd3a701de3b642.png

Generic-Giant-Spider

Hopefully they keep it the dark fantasy aesthetic that Bitterblack Isle had. If they were SMART they'd keep Monster Hunter as their more cartoony looking game but make DD more serious.

Perkel

Arcane
It'll most definitely be in RE Engine.

I wouldn't be so sure. Notice that RE engine never had any open world game under it and everytime Capcom went that way they used MT Framework. For example MHW isn't exactly open world game but its maps are huge and yet they didn't use RE engine but MT framework. DD1 also used MT framework.

IMHO RE Engine was build specifically for small games, probably its structure is created in such way that you load one level at the time and this is why it has amazing performance.

MT framework while wasn't exactly build for open world games, Capcom did use it to build such games thus tech in that engine surely is better for DD2 than RE Engine.

Or they will use Panta Rhei which was their WIP engine for Deep Down, one of the rumors about Deep Down was that it was scrapped because developers couldn't achieve their goals on currect gen hardware and stuff like fluid and fire simulation which Panta Rhei was specifically focused on would be impossible to do on such hardware with great framerate.

It'll most definitely be in RE Engine.

I wouldn't be so sure. Notice that RE engine never had any open world game under it and everytime Capcom went that way they used MT Framework. For example MHW isn't exactly open world game but its maps are huge and yet they didn't use RE engine but MT framework. DD1 also used MT framework.

IMHO RE Engine was build specifically for small games, probably its structure is created in such way that you load one level at the time and this is why it has amazing performance.

MT framework while wasn't exactly build for open world games, Capcom did use it to build such games thus tech in that engine surely is better for DD2 than RE Engine.

Or they will use Panta Rhei which was their WIP engine for Deep Down, one of the rumors about Deep Down was that it was scrapped because developers couldn't achieve their goals on currect gen hardware and stuff like fluid and fire simulation which Panta Rhei was specifically focused on would be impossible to do on such hardware with great framerate.

The newest Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter Rise, however is in RE Engine.

From the little I've heard it sounds like RE Engine is going to be their main engine like MT Framework was before it, and that they were working on it to handle larger environments. This was stuff I heard before the Rise reveal too, so that work could have been going on long before Dragon's Dogma 2 started development given that game is coming next year and we've already seen stuff for it.

Panta Rhei sounds like it was a dead end for Capcom, and that RE Engine ended up winning out of the two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom