Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Silverfish

Arbiter
I don't know how or what kind of 'fun' you thought it was supposed to be, but I think Cassardis is quite neatly designed; kinda reminds me of the older MH games villages (like Pokke Village). And if you properly paid attention to the flow of the narrative, you'll end up going back there way more than starting towns in RPGs usually do.

I've never dug the early quests in DD. Everything before the hydra is like a tax you pay so that you can have fun later.

My greatest fear is DD2 releases, the day is here, I'm so excited I've barely been able to sleep. I go to get my morning coffee at the Dunkin Donuts down the street. I get struck by a car. I die.

If you'd played your early levels as a fighter, you'd have enough HP to tank the car.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I will not create a thread just to ask this but why Crapcom din't launched Dragon's Dogma online in west?

Anyway, my magick archer can solo Daimon and "uber" Daimon in less than 2 minutes on hard.

Who fucking knows, Capcom not bring Dragon's Dogma Online to the West is one of many mysteries of the "Why do Japanese publishers do and not do this or that" variety. The ways of Japanese publishers seems to make little sense. If they were like Western studios you could pretty much set a clock to what everyone would be trying to do based on what was big. But with Japanese publishers, for like the last 16 years at the least it may as well be a mystery.

All I know is Dragon's Dogma was a series meant to capture a western audiences but it ended up being bigger in Japan. I think Online was geared more toward a Japanese audiences, but that doesn't explain why it never came here, even if it only came with English subtitles and menus at first or even ever. Game was free-to-play too, so it probably would've been fucking huge on PC and PS4. Maybe someone thought it'd have to be dubbed here to get an audience and the cost of doing that wasn't seen as being worth it.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HAVE MANY SAD

DRAGINS DOGMA IS THE BEST ARPG EVER NO CONTEST

THE IDEA OF DD2 TEASES ME AND HURTS MY HEART AT THE SAME TIME

Grimlorn

Arcane
This guy must be hacking because Porky, one of the greatest gamers ever, who's beaten dozens of games like Pokemon, The Sims, and Star Stable, couldn't do this.

Anonona

Learned
Are you supposed to play Dragons Dogma with a controller or is mouse + keyboard fine ?

I think both can work. Depending on what vocation you choose to play, I'll say one is preferable to the other. If you play Ranger or Strider and Assassin focusing on using the bow, I would suggest M+K. For a physical Vocation like fighter, warrior and Assassin with meele focus, I usually prefer controller. But both options are viable either way IMO.

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Are you supposed to play Dragons Dogma with a controller or is mouse + keyboard fine ?

I think both can work. Depending on what vocation you choose to play, I'll say one is preferable to the other. If you play Ranger or Strider and Assassin focusing on using the bow, I would suggest M+K. For a physical Vocation like fighter, warrior and Assassin with meele focus, I usuales prefer controller. But both opciones are ver viable Esther way IMO.
I thought this was mostly a melee action game. Are ranged attacks important ?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
dragons-dogma-wizard.gif

dragons-dogma-cannon.gif

latest

RepentantUglyIslandcanary-size_restricted.gif

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I think both can work. Depending on what vocation you choose to play, I'll say one is preferable to the other. If you play Ranger or Strider and Assassin focusing on using the bow, I would suggest M+K. For a physical Vocation like fighter, warrior and Assassin with meele focus, I usuales prefer controller. But both opciones are ver viable Esther way IMO.
That's a class thing boyo

Anonona

Learned

Yeah. Rangers is all about using a longbow, and has the highest damage potential of all vocation. Striders and Assassins can use shortbow, and you can use different kind of arrows to inflict status effects or damage to the oponent. Magick Archer as the name implies use a magic bow with a lock-on mechanic that allow their projectiles to follow their target. They pretty much cast spells with a bow. Then sorcerers and mages are all about classic spells obviously. If you don't like long range combat, you can always choose Fighter, Warrior, equip you Assassin with no bow or play Mystic Knight, who does have long range options but in the form of magic turrets which target the enemy automatically, and beyond that is a close combat class (unless you decided to equip a magic Staff).

Black Angel

Arcane

Gosh darn it, just play the fucking game

Dragon's Dogma is a console game designed to be played on a controller so you shouldn't have any problem playing it on a controller.

While Strider, Assassin, Ranger are all classes that use a bow, they also have melee weapons. Strider and Ranger both use daggers, which are good melee weapons; while the Ranger can use daggers or a normal sword. Magic Archer can switch between daggers and a staff.

Bows, the Magic Bow, and the ranged staff casting magic all have different aiming methods. Bows function like a normal third person shooter, staffs have a normal lock-on, and the magic bow is a paint on lock-on system you aim yourself along the lines of something like Panzer Dragoon if I remember right.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Dragon's Dogma is a console game designed to be played on a controller so you shouldn't have any problem playing it on a controller.

While Strider, Assassin, Ranger are all classes that use a bow, they also have melee weapons. Strider and Ranger both use daggers, which are good melee weapons; while the Ranger can use daggers or a normal sword. Magic Archer can switch between daggers and a staff.

Bows, the Magic Bow, and the ranged staff casting magic all have different aiming methods. Bows function like a normal third person shooter, staffs have a normal lock-on, and the magic bow is a paint on lock-on system you aim yourself along the lines of something like Panzer Dragoon if I remember right.
Thank you, thats the kind of information I was looking for.

Grimlorn

Arcane

There are Harpies and Dragons so ranged attacks are good against them and give you a bit of versatility in encounters. If you get tired of melee you can switch to a bow and try shooting enemies in the head. Assassin is pretty much the go to because of it's strength gain and abilities when it comes to melee and ranged.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Are assassin and ranger subclasses ? I could only choose between fighter, strider and mage at the beginning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom