Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Carceri

Arcane
Acuity augment is also boosting any magic portion of a weapon. You can also temporarily equip some rings with added magic dmg.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't 3 Star Bestiary something your pawn just passively gets from being hired by other folks? You shouldn't try very hard to obtain that on your own, right? I'm not attacking anyone; just asking. Am I under the wrong impression?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Isn't 3 Star Bestiary something your pawn just passively gets from being hired by other folks? You shouldn't try very hard to obtain that on your own, right? I'm not attacking anyone; just asking. Am I under the wrong impression?
It's about familiarity with monster types and areas. As I recall, the stars are awarded based on the tactics the pawn has seen used + repetition. It's how you get stuff like "goblins hate fire!" etc.

These can be awarded by pawn rentals since other people may do things you don't, but they'll also be awarded based on what you do as well.

A pawn with maxed stars and good inclinations can basically start soloing the game more or less. If you can get a squad of them going, it can be pretty funny, like a team of utilitarian pawns and appropriate secondaries with maxed knowledge, IIRC.

Black

Arcane
Some stars are easy to get, like elementals weaknesses. Others are a huge pain in the dick, like hydra who needs explosive barrels force feed into it and then exploded SEVERAL TIMES.
Then there's also the fact that you need a certain kill count for monsters, for griffin it's 15 I believe. Which is also a pain since over the course of a normal game you'll encounter maybe 2 of them and the non-quest ones like to either fly away or not engage at all. So what you end up doing is going with your pawn and prolonging fights so it can learn what's what, like perfect blocking certain enemies or grabbing cyclops' leg.

cruel

Cipher
So, can I expect the game to improve on enemy variety department at some point? I'm level 36, doing Wyrm Hunt quests, and I feel that the whole open-world exploration (non-Boss monsters) consists of fighting: goblins / hobgoblins, wolves / direwolves, bandits, harpies, lizards. That's 5-7 distinct enemy types, complete disaster for an action RPG game that focuses on combat IMO.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
How excited are you for whiter goblins, blacker hobgoblins, harpies in leather, and even bigger lizards?

The bestiary does get two needed diversity injections in the Post-Game and in Brokeblack Isle, though. Shame they're both cordoned into the Games End and single super-dungeon.

Black

Arcane
Yeah, enemy variety is one of the game's weakpoints, BBI improves it but not by much. And only on BBI obviously.

Black

Arcane
Ghulgothas Could you check if my pawn even shows in the rift? No need to hire her, just check if she shows up, I'm afraid I might've broken her by respeccing my own character.
Shadowcat, female, strider, level 200 so search for 199.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Ghulgothas Could you check if my pawn even shows in the rift? No need to hire her, just check if she shows up, I'm afraid I might've broken her by respeccing my own character.
Shadowcat, female, strider, level 200 so search for 199.
Red hair, surcoat, wearing the Cursed King's belt? She showed up for me.

I didn't have to search for her though, she was already waiting in the rift.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
That's good, could you hire her for a sec to see if she works or will be branded as corrupt pawn? And give her a parting gift( (anything but a rock to see if she's trade banned) I'll make it up to you in rift crystals. You can brine her afterwards.

My respeccing broke something in her and she no longer gains discipline points which is no big deal but I was afraid something more is afoot.

Last edited:
So, can I expect the game to improve on enemy variety department at some point? I'm level 36, doing Wyrm Hunt quests, and I feel that the whole open-world exploration (non-Boss monsters) consists of fighting: goblins / hobgoblins, wolves / direwolves, bandits, harpies, lizards. That's 5-7 distinct enemy types, complete disaster for an action RPG game that focuses on combat IMO.
even worse is if you play spellcaster, which means that basically all the enemies are just targets moving around.
and i realized too late you can't bring meteor showers and such cool spells into other classes.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Black and Pink Eye and whoever else is still playing, here's my pawn. I'm going to take a little break from the game, so feel free to hire her:

Attachments

• Benihime.jpg
    Benihime.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 108

Black

Arcane
Does anyone know if steam players can hire GoG pawns? I tried hiring Mask's pawn but couldn't find her.
I know gog has separate ur-dragon from steam and consoles have pawns separate from steam so my guess would be no but I'm not sure.
The_Mask I'd like to but I think Capcom pawn servers are shitting themselves for some reason. Finding a certain pawn seems nigh impossible even if you know their vocation and level. You can only reliably find friend or already known (summoned) pawns.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
That's good, could you hire her for a sec to see if she works or will be branded as corrupt pawn? And give her a parting gift( (anything but a rock to see if she's trade banned) I'll make it up to you in rift crystals. You can brine her afterwards.

My respeccing broke something in her and she no longer gains discipline points which is no big deal but I was afraid something more is afoot.
Sorry coz, I'm away-from-desktop for the rest of the week. For what it's worth, examining her profile sheets in the Rift didn't show off any warning alarms.
Hot take: Capcom should get DnD license and position DD2 as a follow up to Shadow Over Mystara.
Everyone in this thread who considers themselves solid fans of this game needs to hunt down a physical or virtual copy of the art book (easier than you think). It's a great read, and it affirms that this game, in it's neonatal stages, was a Capcom D&D game.
ohmeloy7hzk81.webp

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
even worse is if you play spellcaster, which means that basically all the enemies are just targets moving around.
and i realized too late you can't bring meteor showers and such cool spells into other classes.

Yep, playing as a Sorcerer, and feeling this way - especially after getting Maelstorm. Finished the Wyrm Hunt quests, reached level 40, I think I will take a short break from the game and come back in a few days or weeks. To be honest, after all the praise this gets on Codex, I was expecting something better. But will probably finish it sooner or later.

Rafidur

Learned
Heh i kinda feel like im cheating now, Rotunda Of The Dread (door in the upper level of duskmoon tower) is filled with new set of monsters every time you enter, you literally can just keep entering and quiting until you roll a drake, and since this is very fast you can farm dragonforged stuff easily.
And IIRC if the drake is not here you can spawn it immediately with the rotten meat item.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Heh i kinda feel like im cheating now, Rotunda Of The Dread (door in the upper level of duskmoon tower) is filled with new set of monsters every time you enter, you literally can just keep entering and quiting until you roll a drake, and since this is very fast you can farm dragonforged stuff easily.
And IIRC if the drake is not here you can spawn it immediately with the rotten meat item.
Yes but dragon from bait is much more powerfull than normal spawned one, that one is probably simillar to that drake in southern gransys.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pink Eye What's your current pawn?
Oh. I started new run. She's very low level right now, and is a warrior too, cause I like trying out new things. Additionally I'm trying the low level Bitterblack challenge too. So she's not going to be useful at all to you. Though, last time I had her as fighter with no skills except Dragon's Maw and the augment that makes her perfect block more - worked pretty well for me. FriendlyMerchant Seemed to like the setup too.

FriendlyMerchant

Oh. I started new run. She's very low level right now, and is a warrior too, cause I like trying out new things. Additionally I'm trying the low level Bitterblack challenge too. So she's not going to be useful at all to you. Though, last time I had her as fighter with no skills except Dragon's Maw and the augment that makes her perfect block more - worked pretty well for me. FriendlyMerchant Seemed to like the setup too.
Don't go scather with her this time. Go mitigator as her primary so that she clears out enemies that would normally interrupt big guys so that you don't have to be the only one taking them out or Challenger so she gets rid of mages who spam maelstrom in BBI. Scather is probably better on sorcs though. BIG damage for BIG enemies.

somerandomdude

Learned
When I used to play this, I had a lower level ranger pawn with that bonus exp bow (Bezel Crown?), and it got rented a lot. Good for popping stuff like hobgoblins, lizards, or snow harpies for more exp, and it also did enough damage to knock chunks off a chimera as well.

I didn't even bother leveling the pawn up even after hitting 200, because at 200 nobody really needs to use pawns.

But a couple of strategies for pawns you want to get rented, would be low level normal game twink (10-20), or low level BBI twink (around levels 30-60). The people using the pawns would likely be arisens with potato gear who don't want their exp gains nerfed from overleveled pawns.

Black

Arcane
I'm not even looking for anyone useful, just pawns to fuck around with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom