Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Ghulgothas

Arcane
But a couple of strategies for pawns you want to get rented, would be low level normal game twink (10-20), or low level BBI twink (around levels 30-60). The people using the pawns would likely be arisens with potato gear who don't want their exp gains nerfed from overleveled pawns.
Also, be sure to make them 10/10 knockout waifus dressed in something more creative than the Queen's Clothing. Barest attention paid to gear enhancements and inclinations.

I didn't even think about marketing appeal in the character creator, but my demure blonde mage pawn gets more work than a Thai hooker and hauls in 4 times her character weight in rift crystal dowries. I think I'm going to make her nearest physical opposite in DD2; a towering Cimmerian Amazoness Warrior with toned muscles and whatever that games Delta Guard and Silver Chestplate is, just to see how much external validity this theory holds.

Oh yeah, and I think the sweet-spot for pawn hirings level-wise is 70-90 abouts; when people start trudging through the Everfall for the first time and start going to BBI. No idea what the NG+ equivalent is.

Last edited:

somerandomdude

Learned
For mage/sorc pawns, IMO, you don't want to give them higher level or longer cast spells. Stuff like ingle (High ingle is OK), levin (High levin is OK) comestion (base level), frigor (base level), anodyne (base level).

I always avoid stuff like giving them Bolide, Maestrom, etc, because they'll charge those up 90% of the way, just to stop casting in order to move when a mob gets within 3ft of them. "High" versions of ingle and levin still cast fast enough to be usable, IMO.

It's a little different if the arisen is a mage/sorc, because the pawns can mimic your cast, including the charge level, so they might be able to get a bigger spell off, but most mage/sorc arisens are going to be spamming charged holy bolts with their staves, and not casting big spells.

FriendlyMerchant

It's time to start monopolizing usury in Gran Sys.

jgajukw.jpg

gaussgunner

Arcane
So, can I expect the game to improve on enemy variety department at some point? I'm level 36, doing Wyrm Hunt quests, and I feel that the whole open-world exploration (non-Boss monsters) consists of fighting: goblins / hobgoblins, wolves / direwolves, bandits, harpies, lizards. That's 5-7 distinct enemy types, complete disaster for an action RPG game that focuses on combat IMO.
even worse is if you play spellcaster, which means that basically all the enemies are just targets moving around.
and i realized too late you can't bring meteor showers and such cool spells into other classes.

Yep, playing as a Sorcerer, and feeling this way - especially after getting Maelstorm. Finished the Wyrm Hunt quests, reached level 40, I think I will take a short break from the game and come back in a few days or weeks. To be honest, after all the praise this gets on Codex, I was expecting something better. But will probably finish it sooner or later.

Just switch to a fun class like Ranger or Assassin and kill goblins, rats, bunnies, and seagulls to rank up your skills faster (discipline points are mostly based on kill count). Archery is the best part of this game.

Sorcerer/Mage kinda sucks to play as. Bolide, Seism, and Fulmination are cool, and levitation is nice, but they're just too slow and cumbersome for combat, and this game is 99% combatfaggotry. They're better as pawns, but even then it gets tiresome waiting for them to cast. I much prefer a utilitarian fighter/warrior pawn because they pin down enemies.

FriendlyMerchant

Pink Eye What's your current pawn?
Oh. I started new run. She's very low level right now, and is a warrior too, cause I like trying out new things. Additionally I'm trying the low level Bitterblack challenge too. So she's not going to be useful at all to you. Though, last time I had her as fighter with no skills except Dragon's Maw and the augment that makes her perfect block more - worked pretty well for me. FriendlyMerchant Seemed to like the setup too.
Also, I started a new run using builds on hard this time for maximizing stats. Your old pawn can still be summoned

5ObDwNF.jpg

utn8pVP.jpg

It's not going to change until you take a nap somewhere.

FriendlyMerchant

Is that going to give you rift crystals if I use your old pawn?
It does. I started a new game a while back. I guess some people were using my pawn while I wasn't playing and I still got crystals from it. Pretty much started a new game with 200k rift crystals. So I think it works. He just has to take a nap to get them all.

Black

Arcane
How did you get strigoi and siren 3 stars, I've been trying to get that for days.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have no idea. I just played the game normally and she naturally got those stars. Maybe having mage/sorcerer who use elementals will make it easier to increase? Otherwise. Don't really have any tips for it.

FriendlyMerchant

It's easier to get stars if other people summon your pawn. I ran yellow around BBI and came across plenty of strigoi and sirens.

somerandomdude

Learned
How did you get strigoi and siren 3 stars, I've been trying to get that for days.

There's certain ways you gotta take those enemies down to get the pawns to learn the stars, could be something as simple as exploiting an elemental weakness, status effect, or downing them, targeting/breaking a specific part, using a specific skill, etc. Most of that has been well documented in guides. Sometimes it could be stuff you might not normally even try, like grabbing the enemy and holding them. There's at least one case I can think of where the shield springboard move is needed to get a star.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Fucking finally, Jesus Christ.
pIqdvO9.png

I hate those god damned birds like you wouldn't believe. I hate them so much. Cowardly, griefing shits.
Obligatory

cruel

Cipher
So, can I expect the game to improve on enemy variety department at some point? I'm level 36, doing Wyrm Hunt quests, and I feel that the whole open-world exploration (non-Boss monsters) consists of fighting: goblins / hobgoblins, wolves / direwolves, bandits, harpies, lizards. That's 5-7 distinct enemy types, complete disaster for an action RPG game that focuses on combat IMO.
even worse is if you play spellcaster, which means that basically all the enemies are just targets moving around.
and i realized too late you can't bring meteor showers and such cool spells into other classes.

Yep, playing as a Sorcerer, and feeling this way - especially after getting Maelstorm. Finished the Wyrm Hunt quests, reached level 40, I think I will take a short break from the game and come back in a few days or weeks. To be honest, after all the praise this gets on Codex, I was expecting something better. But will probably finish it sooner or later.

Just switch to a fun class like Ranger or Assassin and kill goblins, rats, bunnies, and seagulls to rank up your skills faster (discipline points are mostly based on kill count). Archery is the best part of this game.

Sorcerer/Mage kinda sucks to play as. Bolide, Seism, and Fulmination are cool, and levitation is nice, but they're just too slow and cumbersome for combat, and this game is 99% combatfaggotry. They're better as pawns, but even then it gets tiresome waiting for them to cast. I much prefer a utilitarian fighter/warrior pawn because they pin down enemies.

Isn't it too late for this, though? To switch to a non-magic class after spending 40+ levels on magic focused classes (mage and sorc)? My HP and stamina are not that great to be honest. Unless I go Magick Archer route, but not sure how much is about magic vs how much is about physical damage for this class.

gaussgunner

Arcane
cruel Nope, it's only a slight disadvantage and in the main game, better weapons will make up for it. When you really need more power just use conqueror's periapts and blast arrows. Your magic stat might give a bonus when you have magical weapons or enchantment spells, I'm not sure. And yeah you should definitely try Magick Archer when you're up around level 100. Richochet Arrow is fucking great in BBI lol.

Keep in mind that none of this matters because when you've mastered the gameplay and you're looking for a challenge you can just start over, speedrun to Grand Soren in 15 mins, and go right to BBI around level 10.

Gentle Player

Arcane
One thing I hate about this game is the need to beg people online for rift crystals. I'd be very much obliged if a kind soul could rent my pawn on Steam, he is a Sorcerer level 56 named Menelkir, Arisen named Daedolon. I think that's all the information I need to give?

The Decline

Arcane
One thing I hate about this game is the need to beg people online for rift crystals. I'd be very much obliged if a kind soul could rent my pawn on Steam, he is a Sorcerer level 56 named Menelkir, Arisen named Daedolon. I think that's all the information I need to give?

Your mistake was creating a male pawn.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

To make it easy you should have people friend you on Steam. That way they can easily find your pawn. Or just use two Steam accounts with two copies of the game if you are that antisocial.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Modders found out how to import assets from other games. Result:

it is now finally possible to add new content to the game instead of always having to replace existing assets.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/776
QQaTSjh.png
They've always been able to. They mean that now they can add them as new files instead of having to replace old ones and thus replace old items. Add new skills without replacing them.

There are at least 2 different custom Berserker armor mods. There are a shitload of mods for this game.. and many of them are from 2016 lol.

I know this because I've JUST finished putting together the mods I wanted. Merging them together by uinpacking, replacing, repacking game_main.arc w/DDDATool. This mod has good instructions on how to merge mods into game_main.arc instead of only being stuck with one mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/193?tab=description

Anyways, according to my log, there are 2320 files in game_main.arc. Every time anybody unpacks their modded or unmodded game_main.arc, those files are going to have to be the same name (probably indexed somewhere) as modders haven't found a different method.

This, however, is new. Like very very very new. Like today new. Interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom