Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Great thing about DD compared to other open world or semi-open world RPGs is how night and dungeons are actually dark and dangerous. It's not like Elder Scrolls where everything is lit up in the middle of the night, you need a torch or you'll be stumbling around in the darkness. Same goes for dungeons. Bring a light source or you'll die afraid and alone.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great thing about DD compared to other open world or semi-open world RPGs is how night and dungeons are actually dark and dangerous. It's not like Elder Scrolls where everything is lit up in the middle of the night, you need a torch or you'll be stumbling around in the darkness. Same goes for dungeons. Bring a light source or you'll die afraid and alone.

And torches and lanterns go out if you get them wet, so you have to keep re-lighting them.

DD is far more simulation-like than the Souls games. Souls games are very game-y.

Castanova

Prophet
Any advice? When I first tried this game on the PS3, I got annoyed and quit early because of the pawns. I only had like 45 minutes to play at a time and 5 minutes were always spent going into that pawn recruitment area and trying to find decent pawns at the appropriate level.

Is it relatively doable to run just yourself + your main pawn as a first-time player? If so, what setup would best accommodate that. Based on my initial research, it seems like Assassin might work but I have no idea. I don't want to play a boring vocation, either.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's perfectly doable. The biggest tips I could give would be; don't try to kill everything, some shit is just not worth your time because you're either too high or too low levelled. And second, enemy weaknesses are /really/ effective. Go out of your way to make them happen.

I'd say the only boring vocation would be mage, since it's basically the support class and you probably won't have a lot of fun standing back healing and buffing your pawns. Anything else should be fine, play whatever grabs your attention. Also, having a couple extra pawns won't hurt, even if they're morons with bad gear. I recommend grabbing the first striders or fighters that you find on the list; they'll at least climb on monsters and pin the little ones to the ground, and draw fire away from you. The only important pawn will be whoever you use for support, which is probably your own pawn. Though you can forgo even that if you're willing to spend time gathering consumables.

Delterius

Arcane
Is it relatively doable to run just yourself + your main pawn as a first-time player? If so, what setup would best accommodate that. Based on my initial research, it seems like Assassin might work but I have no idea. I don't want to play a boring vocation, either.

You probably won't want to be Ranged or Sorceror yourself since these two appreciate a bunch of scather pawns drawing enemy attention from them. Try playing as a Mystic Knight with a Mage main pawn. The former is very self sufficient as it can do anything and the latter can be tuned to Heal and buff you adequately. Plus, the Mystic Knight has Ruinous Sigil, which can also protect the pawn.

But really, for the base game you won't really need perfectly tuned secondary pawns (aside from Mages with actual support spells). Just pick the first striders/fighters that come up.

Puukko

Arcane
My order with my first playthrough was strider > ranger > magick archer > sorcerer for BBI. Not sure whether I'll aim for assassin or mystic knight this time around.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
One thing to note about sorceror (which is why a lot of people felt screwed in BBI with one) is that a lot of the stronger spells (It's fairly obvious which ones) have a physical component to them; and the way the game calculates damage, if the physical component doesn't get past the enemy's physical defense, it doesn't even bother checking the magical damage. Since sorcerors have pretty shit physical attack power and a lot of the enemies have massive physical defense, a lot of the spells they are 'weak' against, they really aren't.

This is also a good reason to avoid hybrid physical/magical damage weapons in BBI.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Ok so after starting over I got to the dragon expecting my beloved to be either Quina (who I gave the Arisen's Bond to) or Madeline. Seeing as they were the only people I ever really talked to or gave anything. The result? Selene. Who I spoke to maybe twice. I would love to figure what kind of magic the affection mechanic runs on. Seriously it didn't make any sense last time either when I got Aelinore, who I've made a personal oath to never speak to again after how annoying she was the first playthrough.

deuxhero

Arcane
It's the last person you raised the affinity of to max. Easiest way to "fix" it is to lower someone's affinity then raise it back just before the end bit.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
It's the last person you raised the affinity of to max. Easiest way to "fix" it is to lower someone's affinity then raise it back just before the end bit.
So basically the other 2 were already at max then Selene happened.

Would it have killed them to just make it whoever you give the bond to if you gave it to someone?

Delterius

Arcane
Actually, the beloved is chosen as you start the quest to go to the great wall. The last person with max affinity you have spoken to right before the quest is your beloved.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Ok so after starting over I got to the dragon expecting my beloved to be either Quina (who I gave the Arisen's Bond to) or Madeline. Seeing as they were the only people I ever really talked to or gave anything. The result? Selene. Who I spoke to maybe twice. I would love to figure what kind of magic the affection mechanic runs on. Seriously it didn't make any sense last time either when I got Aelinore, who I've made a personal oath to never speak to again after how annoying she was the first playthrough.
Selene's affinity rises to MAX simply by completing the two quests relating to her, after which she relocates to your home in Cassardis. And Aelinore's affinity can be raised to MAX simply by talking to her repeatedly the first time you see her (outside the castle, after meeting the Duke for the first time). Personally, I found the best way to ensure the "beloved" is the person you want is to make sure that no-one else has MAX affinity, and the easiest way to do this is to lower your affinity with them by punching them repeatedly. Although in the case of Aelinore, there's a way for her to be killed off permanently, as you likely already know. Also, note that you can still change your "beloved" between the Dragon battle and the end of the game; and that if you gave the "beloved" the Arisen's Bond, a cutscene shows this ring falling from the Dragon as it leaves the Greatwall (which is to say, since this ring didn't drop for you and you gave the ring to Quina, Quina wasn't your "beloved").

See http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Beloved

80Maxwell08

Arcane
This all sounds entirely too weaboo.
Honestly the Beloved mechanics remind me more of Fable with how stupid it is. Talk to someone twice? In love with you forever. If that doesn't work give them random shit. Also here's a magic ring that changes fate itself to bind you two together for your entire lives. Unless you talked to someone else in the past 10 minutes, in that case it won't work.

Selene's affinity rises to MAX simply by completing the two quests relating to her, after which she relocates to your home in Cassardis. And Aelinore's affinity can be raised to MAX simply by talking to her repeatedly the first time you see her (outside the castle, after meeting the Duke for the first time). Personally, I found the best way to ensure the "beloved" is the person you want is to make sure that no-one else has MAX affinity, and the easiest way to do this is to lower your affinity with them by punching them repeatedly. Although in the case of Aelinore, there's a way for her to be killed off permanently, as you likely already know. Also, note that you can still change your "beloved" between the Dragon battle and the end of the game; and that if you gave the "beloved" the Arisen's Bond, a cutscene shows this ring falling from the Dragon as it leaves the Greatwall (which is to say, since this ring didn't drop for you and you gave the ring to Quina, Quina wasn't your "beloved").

See http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Beloved
Yeah I've read that before. Still makes no sense to me seeing as I didn't even talk to Selene for quite a while. I actually forgot her name when she popped up and had to google the witch hunt quest to complain about it here.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yeah I've read that before. Still makes no sense to me seeing as I didn't even talk to Selene for quite a while. I actually forgot her name when she popped up and had to google the witch hunt quest to complain about it here.
I think the people claiming that "beloved" status is determined by who you last spoke to (plus MAX affinity) are mistaken. Since it's unclear exactly how it's determined but it definitely depends in part on MAX affinity, the best thing to do, as I described above, is ensure you don't have MAX affinity with anyone other than the person you want to be the "beloved".

In my first game, I didn't bother trying to control anyone's affinity, and my character ended up with Aelinore, but in my second and third games I was able to intentionally pair my character with Mercedes and Madeleine using this method.

GrainWetski

Arcane

Dat 60 FPS is so good..

And some info from the swamp of the internet:
In addition to KB M, the game will have both XInput and DirectInput support right out of the box.

About the seamless change between KB M and controller. Short answer is 'yes.'

Game accepts input from both device types simultaneously. A hybrid device such as the Steam Controller also works where the right track pad can be configured in mouse-look/trackball mode.

We'll have more info to share in the early part of December

Perkel

Arcane
yuussssss i've been waiting for this.

I only finished DD not Dark Arisen. I heard many good things about DA expansion. Either way 2016 RPG list opens up with a huge RPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom